Fuel query...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 _draglc_

_draglc_
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2006 - 08:51 PM

Quick question.. does fuel economy get better as a new engine is run in?

I ask because my 202 did 160ks on sat and emptied the 40L tank (has a dent in the bottom). It has just been completely rebuilt, new rings, hone, new bearings, stainless steel valve seats etc.

The first time i put this engine in my car it got 300ks out of a tank.

Hoping it will get better? This is with triple 1.75" SU's

A1

#2 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2006 - 09:04 PM

Bit confused, you say it got 300km at 1st, then only 160km on the same amount of fuel?
Have only experience in running in one rebuilt engine, it started off using 17l/100km(lpg) and over 20000km reduced to 15l/100km(I dont think anything happened at the mixtures end. Once any tightness has worn out, it should be as good as its going to be.

#3 _Pete_

_Pete_
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2006 - 09:07 PM

Could it be related to what brand of fuel or where you bought it from?

Just a simple guess, i've noticed some weeks i'll fill the tank in the workshop dunger and get unbeleivable mileage and the next week different servo and get really crap mileage and my driving technique hasnt varied much at all.

Normally as fuel consumption is generally controlled by engine set-up and throttle use if these havent changed there (in theory) shouldnt be any reason for such a big difference.

It does sound weird.

#4 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2006 - 09:15 PM

obvious question...carbs runnin rigiht?

#5 _draglc_

_draglc_
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2006 - 09:31 PM

sorry should clarify a little

engine was built about 2 years ago. was just stored. about 6 months ago i put it in, and the first time out with same carbs i got 300kms.
Ive just had it rebuilt as it was using oil, and i got the carbs tuned on friday, and when i went out saturday i got 160kms. Yes i was heavy on the throttle running it in, but i was the first time i got 300 as well.

My question is, after wearing an engine in, will the fuel consumption get better as it gets looser?

A1

#6 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 06 March 2006 - 09:42 PM

Yes it should get better consumption as it loosens up as it will have less friction to overcome. As it has been honed and not bored? or new pistons? it shouldn't take long to loosen up. I would think around 5000k's. Good time to change the oil and tickle up the tune again.

RACV MAN

#7 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2006 - 09:45 PM

is that 5000 or 500???

5000 sounds a bit long for the first oil ch ange.....

#8 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 10:03 PM

Matter of choice, but I wouldn't bother too much unless the engine had been on the engine stand for a while being built. Thats what the filters for. This sounds to me like a bit more of a budget rebuild than a full blown reco.

RACV MAN

Edited by rodomo, 06 March 2006 - 10:08 PM.

#9 _draglc_

_draglc_
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2006 - 10:37 PM

Well the engine was only 3000ks old.. had been sitting for 2 years, and it was using oil not long after going in. So new rings, hone, new acl bearings, crank ground. Not really a budget rebuild, it is approx 160rwhp 202. Built with nitrous cam.

A1

#10 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 11:06 PM

Did you ever find out why it was using oil?

RACV MAN

#11 _draglc_

_draglc_
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2006 - 11:38 PM

the rings hadnt bedded in properly. it also hadnt been built properly, one big end journal was undersized 1.5 thou, hadnt been honed properly..

its all been done properly this time, i guess its just a matter of waiting to see how it goes.

A1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users