Air Conditioning and Heating - New Into Old

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 _markbeath_

_markbeath_
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2008 - 02:47 AM

I was wondering if anyone has an air conditioning system and heating system in there LX Sedan Torana that works through the standard vents and controls. Im curious as to this as my mate has a air conditioning box in his HZ One Tonner and its a big box thing and isn't the best looking thing and would really stick out on a Torana and i wanna make it a nice cruising everyday car now as iv suffered with tunnel traffic, freezing morning and nights and fogged windows that is dangerous to drive (even though nothing will stop me driving my Torana).

So as i said im just curious to any ideas anyone had, anyone knows something like this done or knows anyone in NSW that will do it.

Cheers

Mark Beath

#2 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 08:09 AM

Can't help with the cooling but the heater should be dead easy to fix with a gregorys.

#3 _1uzbt1_

_1uzbt1_
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2008 - 09:12 AM

I cant tell you about the torrys but some kingers came with a (aftermarket?) under dash a/c setup.It uses the factory vent/controls and isnt a knee freeze.It basically sits right behind the glove box on the kingswood but you lose some of your glove box.I have three of these evap boxs setups at home after getting charged $150 from the wreckers because they are "very rare"only to go to the tip and fine another two,not for sale though.

A retrofit in to a torry possibly?Othewise a vintage air setup all some thing along those lines might work too.

#4 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:10 PM

I have had three A/C systems in may hatch over the last 20 years.

The first system was a standard under dash on the passenger side which was easy to install and worked well.

Then a friend had a HJ with the aftermarket A/C fitted in front of the vent fan under the dash. I bought the system and fitted it to the Torana about ten years ago, it worked ok but not great. The two main problems were the air was heated by the engine bay when travelling through the fan cowl and condensation in the heater box. I had to seal the heater box and fit a couple of drain tubes. I also had to shorten the glove box. When I fitted the LS2 I threw the aftermarket HJ system in the bin.

I am currently working on a system using a hotrod heater and A/C to replace the Torana heater. It looks like it will work but I will not know how well until the car is back on the road.

#5 _SV8_

_SV8_
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2009 - 07:58 PM

you can get them for the torana they are hard to find i have an a/c that woks thru the factory vents for my lx just havent got around to doing it yet dont know if i can be bothered

#6 _torbirdie_

_torbirdie_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2009 - 07:21 AM

I was wondering if anyone has an air conditioning system and heating system in there LX Sedan Torana that works through the standard vents and controls. Im curious as to this as my mate has a air conditioning box in his HZ One Tonner and its a big box thing and isn't the best looking thing and would really stick out on a Torana and i wanna make it a nice cruising everyday car now as iv suffered with tunnel traffic, freezing morning and nights and fogged windows that is dangerous to drive (even though nothing will stop me driving my Torana).

So as i said im just curious to any ideas anyone had, anyone knows something like this done or knows anyone in NSW that will do it.

Cheers

Mark Beath

Are you aware that fact integrated a/c was an option on the LH to UC. Uses the central vents, all the guts of it goes under the bonnet. You would need to access a complete system with all the controls including the heater box, its got a few differences,

#7 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 January 2009 - 08:42 AM

Hi all,
I Have adapted a toyota hilux A/C system into my torrie, it's an easy installation for someone with some mechanical skills, have a look at my cardomain site (link below on page 4)for details and photo's of how to install the system. It all works through the standard control panel. The A/C works fantastic on a 40deg day and I can have the A/C and heater on at the same time for demisting.

Len.

#8 _Lamo_

_Lamo_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2009 - 10:10 AM

Hi all,
I Have adapted a toyota hilux A/C system into my torrie, it's an easy installation for someone with some mechanical skills, have a look at my cardomain site (link below on page 4)for details and photo's of how to install the system. It all works through the standard control panel. The A/C works fantastic on a 40deg day and I can have the A/C and heater on at the same time for demisting.

Len.

That looks really good. A write up with more detailed pics would be great if you had the time. :spoton:

#9 antelopeslr5000

antelopeslr5000

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • Car:1977 LX SL/R 5000

Posted 02 January 2009 - 11:01 AM

The Hliux A/C setup is pretty popular with Hot Rods too. Compact and efficient system.

Nice work! :spoton:

#10 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 January 2009 - 08:20 AM

Lamo sorry but I didn't take to many photo's of the underdash unit when I installed it, it's all hidden behind the dash now and I am not going to strip It out now for a photo shoot. In my last post I said the write up was on page 4 sorry my mistake it's on page 3 and has the full write up and photo's. did you look on this page?

axistr
Len.

Attached File  torana_384.JPG   338.16K   135 downloadsAttached File  torana_1088.JPG   324.9K   104 downloadsAttached File  torana_382.JPG   348.92K   96 downloadsorana_382.JPG]

#11 hainzy

hainzy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:45 PM

Gday Len.
Thats a great setup you have for your torrie. I was looking for something similar for my sandman which had the system that goes behind the glovebox. If you can fit it neatly into an LX then it should adapt well to a HZ. I might follow it up!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users