rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 08 March 2006 - 11:17 PM

"What was the name of the Chevy version?"

LH was very close to Chevy Vega looking at the front.

RACV MAN

#27 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 12:10 PM

On the old forum someone used to have a pic of the wagon in their avatar.

#28 ToRunYa

ToRunYa

No Longer A Contributing Ninja/Member.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts
  • Name:Em

Posted 09 March 2006 - 12:16 PM

^ davelh??? i think...

#29 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2006 - 12:23 PM

I find it interesting how the Torana is not given much recognition by GMH, they prefer to push the HQ as the line of development. Might be a case of the little car outshining their star performer. It's in a number of places, their website historic photos, and the 75th Anniversay Holden book. To them the Succession goes something like HK, HT, HQ, VB. The torries don't seem to play a very large part. Never been able to work out why.

#30 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2006 - 12:26 PM

[quote name='surfmaster' date='Mar 8 2006, 12:01 AM'] [quote name='Heath' date='Mar 7 2006, 11:23 PM'] [quote name='surfmaster' date='Mar 7 2006, 11:03 PM']

These were the times when the Trimatic transmissions were dropping their clutch facings into the auto sump because of cheap parts - the cost to overhaul tens of thousands of them was not cheap. They came up with a fix of a bigger auto filter instead of an overhaul to reduce warranty claims. Tighter control of warranty claims and better quality control improved the situation.

The late 70's working for the General were interesting times :huh: [/quote]
Interesting info, was there a recall to fit larger filters?
Reflecting on the number of models Holden had at the time and made here for a local market it really was financial suicide

#31 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 12:46 PM

I think the HQ gets the prize because it sold the most units ever (500,000 ish sold)....The EH sold the most units quickest (14000 a month, 259,000 units sold)

So with models like that it will be harder for the less popular (don't hate me for saying that) models to make it into the limelight.

At the end of the day each model bought with it a new milestone...but eventually they all had to come to an end....It would have been nice to go out with a bang instead of a wimper...by that I mean how good would a V8 UC have been?

It seems all the iconic models died a slow agonising death.

-The Monaro was on a downhill slide after the HG (4 doors, detuned 350, dropped 350, dropped "Monaro")

-Torana went from ass kicking A9X to 6 pot UC

-Forgive me for bringing Ford into this But The GT started in the XR, progessively got better until the XA, went down hill and then changed name and died in the XC.

But at least Holden retired the current Monaro before they ended up lining the streets as Taxis.

#32 _SSHatch_

_SSHatch_
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2006 - 05:08 PM

This wagon???

Posted Image

#33 Pop's-SS

Pop's-SS

Pops

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,962 posts
  • Name:Barry
  • Car:1976 Mandarin Red SS Hatchback

Posted 09 March 2006 - 05:11 PM

hg350 Millissa been looking for that station wagon pic.

Good one SSHatch :spoton:

Regards..............Barry.

#34 _hg350_

_hg350_
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2006 - 05:51 PM

Thanks SS & Barry

I have been trying to find that picture for months.

#35 _SSHatch_

_SSHatch_
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2006 - 06:18 PM

Well why didnt you ask!?!?! :tease:

Its been in a folder full of Torana pictures on my harddrive for about two years now!!

Edited by SSHatch, 09 March 2006 - 06:19 PM.

#36 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2006 - 07:58 PM

Has anyone ever seen one of them in the flesh, i mean metal?

I reckon it would be cool to own one... even with an asthmatic 4 banger :P

Steve

#37 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2006 - 08:01 PM

I reckon it would be cool to own ANYTHING that was one of only a few made. GTRX and Hurricane comes to mind along with the Phase 4.

#38 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2006 - 08:23 PM

that wagon is soooooooo ugly.....the ass end is just wrong. but, it is workable with. i'd be modding everything from the a pillars back. xu-1 doors, b pillar moved further back, rest metalled out, single large rear side window....that would start to look good. fill the back end with doof and drop an 8 in the front and wala, bombers dream show pony :P

#39 LX2DR

LX2DR

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts
  • Name:Paul
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:01 PM

would you have a pic of the wagon version?

DAVELH has a picture of the LH Stationwagon in his avatar.
Suppose if you ask him nicely he will send a real copy to you!

#40 surfmaster

surfmaster

Marineboy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 11:28 PM

[quote name='devilsadvocate' date='Mar 9 2006, 01:26 PM'] [quote name='surfmaster' date='Mar 8 2006, 12:01 AM'] [quote name='Heath' date='Mar 7 2006, 11:23 PM'] [quote name='surfmaster' date='Mar 7 2006, 11:03 PM']

These were the times when the Trimatic transmissions were dropping their clutch facings into the auto sump because of cheap parts - the cost to overhaul tens of thousands of them was not cheap. They came up with a fix of a bigger auto filter instead of an overhaul to reduce warranty claims. Tighter control of warranty claims and better quality control improved the situation.

The late 70's working for the General were interesting times :huh: [/QUOTE]
Interesting info, was there a recall to fit larger filters?
Reflecting on the number of models Holden had at the time and made here for a local market it really was financial suicide [/quote]
DA, I dont remember a specific recall for the autos. At the start we were giving them a complete nip and tuck, (complete overhaul, new clutch plates, particularly reverse, full seals and gaskets and new filter). As GMH got a handle on the problem they decided that by putting a modified filter on the trimatic, (standard filter with a secondary filter fitted over the top) it would solve the problem. The original filters had a very small pick up hole for the oil which was sufficient for normal operation. When the reverse clutches failed and the facings dropped into the sump they blocked the filter causing slower take up in D and R, (particularly R which now had less meat on the plates). If you have the chance to drive a late model (80's) trimatic and it is very slow going into reverse it may have issues.

That being said they were a very reliable auto for the times, much better than a BW35 (35000 kms and they died :D ).

This was about the time Holden had too many models competing into each others markets, Torana was about the same size as Commodore which was a little smaller than HZ. I remember us getting new HZ's and VB's side by side and measuring them, we couldnt work out how GMH was going to sell two similiar size cars in competition against each other.

#41 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2006 - 04:33 AM

Interesting, one of my UC's is an auto (its a 4/78 model) displays the slow into reverse trait, takes about a second-which doesnt sound much but is annoying when parking etc. Its been like that since i bought it, 95, knew that wasnt quite right at the time and expected the trans to fail, but 150000km later its still going fine. Had problems with bw35 too, in a Valiant, some $2 reversing clutch mechanism? would fail about every 30000mls(vehicle would get harder and harder to get out of reverse) and require the tranny to be opened up and refitted with the bit.

#42 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2006 - 06:47 AM

From memory the LJ Station Wagon was made under license in Peru, or somewhere in South America, so you'd have to go over there to see one.

#43 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 08:02 AM

Holden was struggling along under crippling warranty claims in the 70's as well, something had to give...........................

Sorry, I'm not following here. Would anyone be able to go into a bit more detail about what he means by that? Were several models conking out soon after production or something?

ahhhh warrenty claims. At the time, rather than workers strike, it was common practice to "sabatage" cars on the factory floor. It cost Holden millions and did nothing for their reputation. I remember the local dealership and 4 cars in particular. One they had put a coke can in the sill before welding the car together. It slid up and down in the sill every time you accelerated and braked. Another customer complained of a rattle in the dash which turned out to be a coke bottle with nuts and bolts and a note saying "haha, how bgucking long did it take you to find this". There were also 2 WB one tonners with small holes drilled in the blocks.

#44 ToRunYa

ToRunYa

No Longer A Contributing Ninja/Member.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts
  • Name:Em

Posted 10 March 2006 - 08:36 AM

One they had put a coke can in the sill before welding the car together. It slid up and down in the sill every time you accelerated and braked.

oh no reminds me of when i dropped a socket down the zorst of a gemini, drove me insane!
now torana sills are made from old coke cans lol

#45 _Shevster_

_Shevster_
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2006 - 09:15 AM

Holden was struggling along under crippling warranty claims in the 70's as well, something had to give...........................

Sorry, I'm not following here. Would anyone be able to go into a bit more detail about what he means by that? Were several models conking out soon after production or something?

ahhhh warrenty claims. At the time, rather than workers strike, it was common practice to "sabatage" cars on the factory floor. It cost Holden millions and did nothing for their reputation. I remember the local dealership and 4 cars in particular. One they had put a coke can in the sill before welding the car together. It slid up and down in the sill every time you accelerated and braked. Another customer complained of a rattle in the dash which turned out to be a coke bottle with nuts and bolts and a note saying "haha, how bgucking long did it take you to find this". There were also 2 WB one tonners with small holes drilled in the blocks.

Hmm, that might explain a rattle in my dash :fool:

#46 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2006 - 09:34 AM

My 73 LJ has no rattles... guess i wasn't one of the unlucky ones. :huh:

Steve

#47 surfmaster

surfmaster

Marineboy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 09:59 AM

My 73 LJ has no rattles... guess i wasn't one of the unlucky ones. :huh:

Steve

I have some spare rattles for a 73 model if you need any.

#48 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 10 March 2006 - 01:26 PM

Pat,
the LJ wagons are in Korea.

Tiny has just come back from there and didn't send any home!!!!!
Considering the exchange rate, it would be fairly cheap to get some in..........might have to give Seth a call. If Sud Afrika is easy to get cars out of.....

Grant..

#49 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2006 - 03:47 PM

My 73 LJ has no rattles... guess i wasn't one of the unlucky ones.  :huh:

Steve

I have some spare rattles for a 73 model if you need any.

Only if they are the extremely rare OM NOS rattles.

#50 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 10 March 2006 - 03:49 PM

i saw nothing but Kias, Daewoos and Hyundais.... OH.. and riced up scooters!!

God save me... I was so glad to get home and give the monaro a good rev!!

didnt see any toranas... :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users