Mounting an alloy radiator

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 _LHoon_

_LHoon_
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:12 PM

Just like your motor, gearbox and diff eh?

Motor, gearbox and diff are all rotating parts that by their nature produce mechanical vibration.
A radiator on the other hand is just a piece of mass.

EDIT: Hold the phone.... There's a set of (rotating) fans bolted to my radiator! Yep, I'd better rubber mount the radiator.
Also considering the delicate structure of the radiator fins and tubes, the rubber mounting wouldn't hurt to reduce the impact stress from the vehicle (bumps etc).

Edited by LHoon, 14 January 2009 - 12:23 PM.

#27 _Lamo_

_Lamo_
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2009 - 01:06 PM

Why not just cut up an old bike tyre and stick that between the body and the rad?

#28 _mumstaxi_

_mumstaxi_
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2009 - 07:24 PM

Just like your motor, gearbox and diff eh?

I think you'l find they are all rubber mounted to isolate the car body and it occupants from the vibrations they transmit, not to protect the driveline components themselves from vibration caused by a bumpy road ! :spoton:

MT

#29 _1uzbt1_

_1uzbt1_
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:34 AM

Only in a few examples have i ever found grounding a ally radiator to work.We do stary current tests before and after a radsiator is installed to make sure there are no issues with the new one failing.Most times we have found that the coolant itself has caused a higher than acceptable limit for stray current test.A simple flush out and using a different coolant has fixed the problem.

Intersting story as far as im concerned.We install a new copper/brass radiator in a van as the previous plastic tank/ally core tank cracked and no replacement tank was available.This vehicle came back 2 months latter leaking around the top fitting,asumed it was just a faulty rad and booked it in for a warranty replacement.Got the rad out and it was chewed completely through due to stray current.Did a current test and found a full 12 volts running throught the coolant.Someone somehow had put a wire from the +ve of the battery to the condensor bolted to the side bands of the radiator.The only thing we could think of why the ally one didnt fail was because the platic tank didnt pass on the 12 volts to the system.

#30 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 15 January 2009 - 05:16 PM

I used some red "waffle pad" isolation rubber for airconditioning plant Just a little block between the radiator and the panel.

Ive also got an earth strap from one of the bottom bolts to the body.

Had the PWR in the car for years now, but the car has been 2 full years now with no signs of problems.

I use holden green coolant concentrate in almost 100% concentration.

Cheers

#31 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 17 January 2009 - 01:47 AM

Interesting idea for preventing damage to the radiator.
http://www.flex-a-li...html/anode.html

Summit Racing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users