*clunk* noise from back of my HQ

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2006 - 09:59 PM

Well today my HQ passed rego inspection's with no problems after being off the road for 2 years and after a heart transplant and its sooo much fun to be driving it again BUT theres a few little things i want to sort out now. The whole rear end is new, it has new: shocks, springs, bush's, machined disks (hz disk brake diff) 2nd hand 3.08 single spinner centre and new bearings throughout.

First thing is there is a clunk noise that happens when i hit the throttle hard or if i back off then hit the throttle, it sounds like its coming from both far sides of the car but mainly from the passenger side. Im thinking that there is movement in the lower trailing arms so the diff moves slightly whenever i accelerate making the clunk, i climbed under there and tightened things a little more (couldnt get them to go much tighter without a bigger leaver) but the noise is still there!

2nd one is a rattle rattle rattle rattle coming from the rear (i can only HEAR it under very light throttle/no throttle) which goes away as soon as i touch the brakes. I seem to recall someone once telling me the calapers were missing a spring clip that stopped the calaper moving side to side, would that be causing the noise?

Other than that im really happy its finally got rego again, after fiddling around with the dissy a few times its really starting to hammer :rockon:, just need to tune the carby and ill be happy as :).

Thanks
Damien

#2 surfmaster

surfmaster

Marineboy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 10:06 PM

HQ 101:

Strap the handbrake cables to the lower control arm so they don't thump, bang or rattle. Common complaint known to common Holden mechanics of the day (errghh). Often mistaken for a rattle in both rear doors.

If that doesnt work get back to me.

#3 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2006 - 10:26 PM

hrmm, ill poke my head under and have a look at that, what do you strap them with? Any idea about the clunk, the rear kinda creeks if i drive up our houses drive way (big gutter)

Edited by jabba, 07 March 2006 - 10:28 PM.

#4 surfmaster

surfmaster

Marineboy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 10:31 PM

First thing we used to do under warranty (HQ-HZ) was use welding wire to tie the metal part of the handbrake cable to the lower rear control arm (tight). Cable ties would do the same job theses days. They used to move up and down and bang on the arm. You could also try checking backlash in driveline but bearing in mind the work you have had done this should be fine. Bushes in the control arms should be checked too, although again, should be ok with the work you have had done?

#5 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2006 - 10:49 PM

Well the backlash should defanatly be fine, the problem was there before the diff rebuild and before the new bush's (it was the reason i replaced them to start with). The noise has been there ever since i removed the banjo and installed the salisbury (its been in and out a few times since then).

<edit> hrmm maybe i should get it looked over by a local suspension mob, they should be able to pinpoint the problem id hope.

Edited by jabba, 07 March 2006 - 10:52 PM.

#6 surfmaster

surfmaster

Marineboy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 10:53 PM

Handbrake cables are a definite suspect, you can expect CSI at your garage door in the morning, the blue light should sort it out :D

Seriously the cables have to be checked and eliminated first, like i said in a previous reply they were often mistaken for a rattle in the rear doors. Boy did we spend some time diagnosing that one :huh:

#7 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2006 - 10:55 PM

Have a look at the unis while your down there.

#8 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2006 - 06:42 AM

Ok ill check them both out the sarvo :).

I dont know what you hoping to find with the blue light, maybe it should stay that way hahaha ;).

Damien

Edited by jabba, 08 March 2006 - 06:43 AM.

#9 surfmaster

surfmaster

Marineboy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 07:51 AM

I dont know what you hoping to find with the blue light, maybe it should stay that way hahaha ;).

I was having a dig at that silly CSI show, they solve everything with a blue light :D :D

#10 racean69

racean69

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • Name:Rod
  • Car:LH sedan

Posted 08 March 2006 - 09:00 AM

Try getting a large lever (tyre lever/big screwdriver etc) into between your control arms and body/diff mounts and see if you get any movement.

#11 _kaz from adelaide_

_kaz from adelaide_
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2006 - 09:34 AM

i'm with chopper on the tailshaft unis. Had that prob in Ruby. Its funny tho I hate squeaks and knocking sounds and I end up with a torrie, oh well it keeps me occupied hey!!!

the sound goung up driveways > check exhaust mounts and body clearance, also the bushes on shocks sometimes squeak if not greased upon install.

ps congrats on passing inspection.

Edited by kaz from adelaide, 08 March 2006 - 09:37 AM.

#12 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2006 - 04:16 PM

I was having a dig at that silly CSI show, they solve everything with a blue light :D :D

haha i know ;), my comment still stands :blink:. I think a few people would get caught out for "making love" to there cars!

Edited by jabba, 08 March 2006 - 04:21 PM.

#13 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2006 - 04:20 PM

thanks guys, i wont get a chance the sarvo to look becuase i found another easy fix problem, sparkplug leads wernt sitting on the plug properly and i coudl see blue flash's under the cap. New set of topgun leads and its all good now, never buying boush leads again. Ill get her up on the ramps on the weekend and check these things out, tomorrow ill take my aircon collection to an a/c place and get quotes :D.

Ahh its a great feeling having it on the road again.

#14 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2006 - 09:00 PM

I jumped under the car just then trying to track this noise, i think chopper may be right about the uni's making the dada dada dada dada noise. I did try checking them without much luck, the exhaust was very hot haha.

I worked out how to make the other noise while the car is still (well i assume its the same noise) If i grab the rear tyre and shake it side to side i get a metal on metal sound but it seems to echo through alot of things under there so im not exactly sure where its coming from yet. Ill grab a helper and see if i can pinpoint it, could shed some light on the situation :). I dont think its the exhaust, it seems to come from just behind the drivers wheel.

Edited by jabba, 08 March 2006 - 09:02 PM.

#15 surfmaster

surfmaster

Marineboy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 10:23 PM

haha i know ;), my comment still stands :blink:. I think a few people would get caught out for "making love" to there cars!

i thought i bought all the pictures and the negatives back :huh:

#16 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2006 - 08:38 PM

well the diff and driveline place recons the uni wouldnt make *that* noise, he said it would be the sun gears in the diff being worn on an angle. If its the diff i think ill be living with it until somthing happens :).

#17 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:24 PM

I was going to suggest the Diff.... But not for worn sun gears.

Mine makes a definite clunk when first put into gear and also snaps when changing down. Upchanges are quick with no lag. What am I getting at here?? well my Salisbury has been adjusted and tightened to take abuse, the end play has been removed.... It's the way the previous owner had it set up. I like it though the clunk can be a tad disconcerting...It's nice to know a diff has been set up to handle some aubse other than the norm.

Cheers
Herne

#18 surfmaster

surfmaster

Marineboy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 11:53 PM

The differential is relatively easy to diagnose, if you get under the car and turn the flange/tailshaft any great distance before it takes up there may be a problem. Anything that is loose, moves or can foul another moving part will also create strange noises or clunks. PITA but thats the way it is with cars. :rolleyes:

#19 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2006 - 06:54 AM

expesially old cars that are nearly 35 years old i suppose haha.

#20 surfmaster

surfmaster

Marineboy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 10:26 AM

expesially old cars that are nearly 35 years old i suppose haha.

i have heard some strange noises coming out of people that age :D

#21 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2006 - 11:00 AM

U mean noise like phhtttttttt lol

Cheers
Herne

#22 surfmaster

surfmaster

Marineboy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 11:26 AM

U mean noise like phhtttttttt lol

Cheers
Herne

Thats the one :D

#23 LX2DR

LX2DR

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts
  • Name:Paul
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 March 2006 - 03:13 PM

Just before you get to the gutter and driveway where the noise happens!
Turn the radio up till you can't stand it.
Guaranteed you will not hear anything noises from the rear end, problem solved! :tease:

Edited by SPJ, 10 March 2006 - 03:14 PM.

#24 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2006 - 05:31 PM

Radio... what radio... Its in my nissan maxima now (doof doof). I have my boot full of aircon gear in box's and couldnt hear any noises or rattles, maybe i should box off and carpet the boot he he he...

The old girl should be aircon'd by next wednesday and should also have a wheel alignment done by then, if i dont find the problem this weekend ill get them to take a squiz.

#25 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 10 March 2006 - 09:19 PM

Hey Jabba! Just saw this post.. congratulations man! Its great to hear you finally got her on the road again!

Cant help you with the noises though.. mine makes more noises than a noise shop! especially with this new 3.7 centre.. GAWD what anightmare..

Anyway glad to hear its going and best of luck sorting out the gremlins!

Cheers.!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users