LSD or normal diff? Whats better??

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 _Joanne_

_Joanne_
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2006 - 01:05 PM

Hi everyone,

Just wondering what you all think i should get, an lsd or a normal diff?? I need a new diff in my lx but im not sure what to get.. my tires are pretty fat at the back (i dont know what exact size but they are about double the width of my front tires-dont know if that makes a difference to what diff i should get).. my boyfriend is forcing me to get an lsd!! but im not sure if i really want an lsd coz id be a bit scared that i was going to loose control going around corners and doing burnouts & stuff if both wheels spin, whereas if i get a normal diff then only 1 wheel will spin.. are you more likely to loose control of your car with an lsd or a normal diff??? also my boyfriend said that if i get a normal diff rather than an lsd then ill lose about 1 second or more on the 1/4 mile.. is that true?

#2 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 09 March 2006 - 01:14 PM

go the LSD much easier to control and you will get more power to the ground....whats it in anyhow??

#3 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 02:09 PM

remember...no means no.

problem is if your lx still has a banjo diff LSD centres are expensive....and still fragile...big tyres...big horsepower means banjo no go!

and 1 second is a bit of a big call.

Sounds like you wont have to worry about it tho...looks like you are headed towards getting your car confiscated.

#4 _Joanne_

_Joanne_
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2006 - 02:34 PM

well to tell you truth im not too sure what its got in it.. the only reason i say that is because when the guy advertised it in the trading post it was advertised as a 308 and when i looked at it he said it was a 308 but when he gave me the rego papers when i bought it, it was registered as a 253... so im not really sure. is there any way of telling if its a 253 or a 308 easily from the outside or do you have to pull it apart and look at it??

either way whatever it is im planning to change the diff ratios on my new diff so it will hopefully go a bit faster, and im getting a bigger cam & a slightly smaller carby coz ive got a 650 holley on there atm which is too big, so hopefully performance will improve a little soon..

#5 _Joanne_

_Joanne_
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2006 - 02:36 PM

what do you mean by 'no means no'?

yeah im planning to get a whole new diff as i can already tell that the banjo is not strong enough, if i put a new centre in the diff ive got now im still going to have the same problem of it not being strong enough.. i was thinking of putting a ford 9inch but i think im just going to put a salisbury 10bolt now..

why am i headed towards getting my car confiscated?? there is absolutely no defects on my car and i drive it sensibly..

#6 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2006 - 03:20 PM

LSD drives off both wheels and not just one. ie Two nice long black lines oops best not say that lol.

Both 253's and 308's are marked on the block. The forging is on the passengers side when looking at the car if I am remembering correctly. Of course if the 253 was a stroker then the block will still say 253.

Cheers
Herne

#7 _Loki_

_Loki_
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2006 - 04:52 PM

are you more likely to loose control of your car with an lsd or a normal diff???

You are more likely to lose control with an open diff than an LSD.

#8 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 04:52 PM

my boyfriend is forcing me to get an lsd!!

id be a bit scared that i was going to loose control going around corners and doing burnouts & stuff

Don't worry..I was trying to express humour.

and

If you do that on the street...it won't matter what type of diff you have..when you are walking.

#9 _Joanne_

_Joanne_
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2006 - 05:54 PM

Herne - I just had a look on the block and i cant see any numbers, besides the engine number..

FastEHHolden - oh i understand now (sorry), well its my car and my money so in the end its not up to my boyfriend really, hehehe :D

oh sorry, i see what you mean about getting my car confescated, i should have been more specific.. I definatley dont or wont do burnouts on the street!! ive done 2 burnouts at my grandparents house (they have their own land) but they nearly confescated my car off me!! and im planning to take it to wsid wednesday nite street meet where you have the option to do a burnout before you race & i would definatley choose to do a burnout.. & also because im still learning to drive manual, if i take off too fast the wheels occasionally spin a bit.. but yeah, sorry i understand how you would have taken it, but i dont do burnouts on the street unless its un intentional..

#10 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2006 - 06:18 PM

Sorry you did not find it, here is a photo I just took for you showing the catsing.
I hope this helps.
The engine is currently on an engine stand being prepped for painting and thus is on it's side.

Posted Image

It is a red block HX/HZ 253.

Cheers
Herne

#11 _keith1962_

_keith1962_
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2006 - 06:21 PM

Hi Joanne
The best way to look and see if it is a 253 or 308 is to lye under the left hand side front. Look at the engine block and you will see in big numerals 253 or 308 on the side of the block. Now that is the best way to tell what it is.
cheers
Keith

#12 _Torana482HP_

_Torana482HP_
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2006 - 06:39 PM

If it has a 650 holley it will be a 308, or else you will be flooding the bguck out of a 253 with that carby, i think its even a bit big for a standard 308 - 600 is better for a standard 308.

#13 _Joanne_

_Joanne_
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2006 - 08:36 AM

It does hav a 650 holley on it but i dont think its a 308 coz its not running too well, i thinks its because of the holley.. it doesnt really flood but if i rev the car too much when i first start it u can hear like a backfire or something & if i rev too much when im driving u can literally smell the petrol-probly coz only half of it is actually going thru the motor & the other half is just getting wasted?.. it only revs up to about 4000 atm & ive been told that if i get a smaller carby it will run better.. so maybe it is only a 253 then..

#14 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 10 March 2006 - 11:14 AM

Hey Joanne,
To answer your original question, An LSD will always outperform an open centre diff.
I'm sure you mean when your doing burnouts at the drag strip ( :D )that its safer to have one wheel not spinning - thats not the case! Its more contolable and more predictable if you KNOW that both wheels are going to loose traction when it happens. Its bad when one does and one doesnt cause the car can turn violently because of the wheel thats not frying!

The reasons for an LSD are as follows.

Limited slip Diffs act by using some kind of clutch between the two axles. When one wheel looses traction ( say its off the edge off the road on the gravel, OR over a hole) then the clutches begin to work and direct drive to both axles equally.

Open centre diffs wont do that, all the power will go to the wheel that has the LEAST resistance ( the one on teh gravel or over the hole) and the car will begin to turn, or if your stationary it wont move at all!

LSD are really good because they act as an open diff when cornering allowing the diff to do its job ( allowing the inside wheel to turn slower compared to the outside wheel) so the car drives beautifully, but also has the added safety of having both wheels driven when its needed.

I dont know what idff you have in the car, and depending on if its a strong diff or not might mean that for now, you stay with an open centre, but if its the diff your going to keep for a long time.. I would go LSD without a doubt! To give you an example.. I'm running a 9" Diff in my HQ coupe and have just removed the LSD centre to change ratios. The new diff has a mini spool which means that both axles are always locked together and its already proven to be worse to drive and ALOT noisier! I want my LSD back but with my new ratios! :spoton: I would personally never consider an open diff cause my car is a performance car.

Sorry for the essay, but i thought i might try and explain how they work with examples so you can make up your own mind!

Cheers!

#15 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2006 - 01:19 PM

If you do a lot of driving on snow/ice then a lsd can be valuable too. (possibly not Joanne?)
Just a tip for those who might find themselves bogged, trapped in sand/mud, going uphill through a hairpin on a snow covered road etc with a normal diff, stuck with the one wheel spinning syndrome: apply the handbrake light to moderately(obviously not full on) and this will basically equalise the resistance on both wheels and get power going through both axles and can make the difference between being stranded or not. The technique can work by using the foot brake in an auto also, but obviously this makes the car harder to move as would be fighting the front brakes as well.

Edited by devilsadvocate, 10 March 2006 - 01:26 PM.

#16 _Joanne_

_Joanne_
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2006 - 02:06 PM

no, ive never even seen snow! hahaha :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users