PCV valve

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 _mike_nofx_

_mike_nofx_
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2005 - 09:34 PM

What exactly does the PCV valve do? and which models have to have it?
What would happen if you were to block it off??

#2 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2005 - 09:49 PM

With my EH, there was no PCV, it just had a "walking stick" pipe from the top of the rocker cover and vented to atmosphere down near the oil filter. What the PCV does, is it allows blow-by ( compression that escapes past the rings ) to be sucked into the inlet manifold and burnt in the combustion process. It thereby reduces some emissions and theoretically improves economy. Rough idle can be caused by a blocked PCV. They are mandatory if they were fitted at the factory. Not sure when GMH introduced them, but possibly around the time of the HR.

#3 _SSL31_

_SSL31_
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2005 - 10:09 PM

you can block off where it goes into the carby , but dont block it off at the tappet cover less you ll blow engine seals badly if you have blow by which every engine does, it lets your engine breathe ... I think its part of ADR emissions ...
If you want to get rid of it , run a vacuum pan setup , but that not legal either... but its a cheap cheater system to drop atmosphereic pressure with out running a vac pump... the biger the rev the more it needs to breathe... Positive Crankcase Ventilation

#4 _LX CHAMOIS HATCH_

_LX CHAMOIS HATCH_
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2005 - 10:09 PM

like chopper said it helps the engine breath. i took it of and replaced it with a air filter type of breather and not only did it look like a chimney but the engine started to spit oil thru the gaskets and out the dip stick tube. put it back on and all problems were solved.

so thats what happens if you block it off. engine will eventually shit itself.

my 2 cents

john

#5 _mike_nofx_

_mike_nofx_
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2005 - 08:00 PM

What if u removed the hose from the carb side, blocked the hole in the carb, then ran the hose from the rocker cover down to below the engine somewhere??
Would you lose any power having it on properly? because you would be burning up oil fumes??

#6 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 08:18 PM

It doesn't affect performance..if your engine is in good nick..it operates when there is manifold vacuum and when there is a pressure build up in the sump.
If your engine is fumey and you are too tight to fit rings then fit a catch can with the pcv in the top of it...pcv system still functions correctly, oil drains back to engine after the stainless steel wool "scrubs" the air before it gets to the inlet manifold.

#7 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 21 November 2005 - 09:30 PM

Is there any benefit of venting to atmosphere ( pressure wise).

Ive got both my rocker covers breathing into a catch can, and the catch can just vented to atmosphere through a small filter.

Ive actually got alot of condensation coming from my engine, you can see it steaming out the filter up the front now. Ive been considering putting a pipe from wehre the filter is, to the underside of the air filter to re-breathe the steam vapor.

Your thoughts? should i use a PCV (one way) valve in the system somewhere?

#8 _jimjet61_

_jimjet61_
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2005 - 10:42 PM

I think Fast has said it all, it doesn't affect performance on a good engine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users