_sting_
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:33 PM

What a great read well done boys . cheers sting

#177 _rob350hatch_

_rob350hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:11 PM

so will it see the tracks again ?and forgive me if ive missed that .

#178 hungus76

hungus76

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Name:Adrian
  • Car:Group C L34, HQ Coupe, VY II SS, VZ Storm Crewman

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:39 AM

so will it see the tracks again ?and forgive me if ive missed that .

That is definitely a possibility but certainly not in the immediate future. I'd have to become a MUCH better driver before that were to eventuate!

Other car projects and non car related interests/hobbies are at the forefront at this point in time so the beast quietly sleeps in the garage, waiting to be awoken! :)

#179 hungus76

hungus76

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:45 AM

Probably a bit of a long shot but still worth asking just in case;

Would anybody here have contact details for Scotty Taylor?

I'm not expecting someone to hand over his mobile phone number to me but maybe an email address where I can contact him personally? I've searched Google for some info but to no avail.

I have a few things I would like to ask/discuss with him about the car.

I would be quite happy to supply my details to be passed on to him instead if that suits him better? Some people like to keep their personal info private and I totally understand and respect that.

#180 slr5640

slr5640

XA9X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts
  • Name:Brian

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:29 PM

isn't his name alan taylor  ?

Edited by slr5640, 26 July 2013 - 08:29 PM.

#181 hungus76

hungus76

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:49 PM

isn't his name alan taylor  ?

Yes that is correct. Scotty is just a nickname though he did use that for his Holden Dealership franchise; Scotty Taylor Holden.

I've had no luck finding him under either name.

#182 _outer control_

_outer control_
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2013 - 06:00 AM

Yes that is correct. Scotty is just a nickname though he did use that for his Holden Dealership franchise; Scotty Taylor Holden.

I've had no luck finding him under either name.

He changed his name to Scotty by deed pole and he left for Europe on the 16th. will message you

Edited by outer control, 27 July 2013 - 06:09 AM.

#183 _red roar_

_red roar_
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:39 PM

Awesome read. This has to be one of the best threads on the forum, thanks for posting.

the close up of the rear "ribbed' brake drum blew me away.

deanehille, your a champion for filling in the gaps. Keep up the good work gents.

#184 _A9XONE_

_A9XONE_
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:52 AM

Well what a story,great photos Deane,its a shame that more stories and photos don't come up in the forum about ex racecars,the knowledge and history of these cars will be losted forever if people keep them rapped up in garages,I understand that some people like to keep things private and confidential and I respect that,I believe that a special forum should be made up on this website for these ex racecars with photos and history info only (but no info on car body numbers to protect the car and owner ) well thats my opinion! :clappin:   s

#185 hungus76

hungus76

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:12 PM

Awesome read. This has to be one of the best threads on the forum, thanks for posting.

deanehille, your a champion for filling in the gaps. Keep up the good work gents.

I'm glad that this thread is still finding people that love the unearthing of the car's history just as much as I do!

the close up of the rear "ribbed' brake drum blew me away.

Statements like this make me realise just how uneducated I am about the technical side of these cars; I just assumed this was just a regular old HQ drum, and that they all looked like that!

So can somebody please explain to me the significance of the ribbing?

I still have so much to learn! 

Edited by hungus76, 06 August 2013 - 05:13 PM.

#186 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:53 PM

The ribbing either provides more pleasure or helps to dissipate the heat by providing a larger surface area for heat to escape from.

#187 _Got1UR1_

_Got1UR1_
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:08 PM

The ribbing either provides more pleasure or helps to dissipate the heat by providing a larger surface area for heat to escape from.

And more grip if you happen to be in the "mud"

#188 Redzone

Redzone

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:Mini torana's - Gemini coupe 10.787@123mph, log booked Group A DOHC Gemini under resto..

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:47 PM

Craig Nielson who owns the ex scotty taylor group A starion I help out with, has his contact details I'm pretty sure mate, i'll ask him for you.

#189 hungus76

hungus76

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:35 PM

Craig Nielson who owns the ex scotty taylor group A starion I help out with, has his contact details I'm pretty sure mate, i'll ask him for you.

Thankyou very much, that would be greatly appreciated!

#190 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:43 PM

The ribs were to blow air around as well to cool down quicker and the big gap holes for cooling, HDT had them on there HDT LJ XU-1 and I guess there L34 race car as well

#191 hungus76

hungus76

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:08 PM

The ribs were to blow air around as well to cool down quicker and the big gap holes for cooling, HDT had them on there HDT LJ XU-1 and I guess there L34 race car as well

Thanks for the overview AI.

I assumed it was something to aid the cooling of the brakes but was unsure in what way it worked.

Maybe one day I should pull the back wheels off the car and see if they are still on there. I don't think the wheels have ever been removed since I've owned it!

#192 _Steve Simmonds_

_Steve Simmonds_
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:07 PM

Amazing story ! Can't believe that car is still alive, I did my apprenticeship with Deane, he always had a pic of that car in the office, knows a holden v8 inside out ! Many memories of his training to build my own holden v8 but the one that stands out the most was when I purchased a brand new oil pump for it, when I went to fit it to the engine Deane pulls me up and says, nope..... Ummmmm why not ? Gotta fix it first he says..... Ummmmm ok.. It's new..... Grind here, drill there and you'll have a decent oil pump... He was extremely fussy which made anything that he did absolutely brilliant !

#193 _smithi_

_smithi_
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:45 PM

What an awesome story your car has two lots of history as a race car. The info and photos prove and verify the pedigree of the car, very lucky to have the info from Deane. Not very often that you can get this info before someone dies and the person cleaning up thinks just another car photo. I am also of a similar era as I approach 50 yo next year. I remember seeing a hatchback in an industrial yard in Shepparton back in the late 70 was an ex HDT car to be raced again. I have an LJ XU1 that I have had for over thirty years to do a resto on, in my honest opinion, I would restore to original white as it left the factory bar any existing mods made for racing and sell the HQ Coupe to finance the resto when the times comes to do your L34. I think your car would be worth between $200 000 - $250 000.

Regards Brad Smith, Gladstone Qld

Edited by smithi, 26 April 2014 - 10:49 PM.

#194 hungus76

hungus76

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:54 AM

Amazing story ! Can't believe that car is still alive, I did my apprenticeship with Deane, he always had a pic of that car in the office, knows a holden v8 inside out ! Many memories of his training to build my own holden v8 but the one that stands out the most was when I purchased a brand new oil pump for it, when I went to fit it to the engine Deane pulls me up and says, nope..... Ummmmm why not ? Gotta fix it first he says..... Ummmmm ok.. It's new..... Grind here, drill there and you'll have a decent oil pump... He was extremely fussy which made anything that he did absolutely brilliant !

What an awesome story your car has two lots of history as a race car. The info and photos prove and verify the pedigree of the car, very lucky to have the info from Deane. Not very often that you can get this info before someone dies and the person cleaning up thinks just another car photo. I am also of a similar era as I approach 50 yo next year. I remember seeing a hatchback in an industrial yard in Shepparton back in the late 70 was an ex HDT car to be raced again. I have an LJ XU1 that I have had for over thirty years to do a resto on, in my honest opinion, I would restore to original white as it left the factory bar any existing mods made for racing and sell the HQ Coupe to finance the resto when the times comes to do your L34. I think your car would be worth between $200 000 - $250 000.

Regards Brad Smith, Gladstone Qld

Thanks guys, glad you've both enjoyed the wonderful story of the car and its history. I can barely believe it myself some days!

Hopefully may have more to add to the story before too long.............

Sorry though Brad, there is no way I'm gonna sell my HQ coupe, it just ain't gonna happen!

Edited by hungus76, 28 April 2014 - 12:55 AM.

#195 _spc383_

_spc383_
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:01 PM

What a fantastic story well done to all involved. One of my best mates has a maroon L34. His is a fantastic road car and I could only imagine how good they would of been on the track ( with a real gearbox and diff ) . 

#196 hungus76

hungus76

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:30 PM

I had an opportunity to catch up with one of the previous owners of the car last week. He brought up a heap of photos from when he owned the car and had a few good stories to share.

Also he told me about another 2 owners that I was unaware of, plus most interesting of all, informed me that he is still in possession of the roll cage!

A top bloke and I'm happy that I could let him see his old beast once again....

#197 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,843 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:10 PM

great story.....amazing history.....lucky guy to own such a car....now proven as legit!!

#198 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,048 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:19 PM

What a fantastic story well done to all involved. One of my best mates has a maroon L34. His is a fantastic road car and I could only imagine how good they would of been on the track ( with a real gearbox and diff ) .

Any chance of a photo? I have never seen a clear pic of a maroon one. It must look spectacular.

#199 hungus76

hungus76

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 04:50 PM

The former owner was also able to confirm what the paint colour actually is; Mandarin Red.

It's good to finally know after years of uncertainty.

#200 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:20 PM

Wouldn't your Paint Number on your I.D Plate tell you the colour

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users