LC GTR DOOR RUBBER

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 _vtss_

_vtss_
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2006 - 10:57 PM

I SEEN A LOT OF POEPLE COMPLAINING ABOUT RARE SPARE DOOR RUBBER .I JUST FITTED A SET ON FREINDS LC GTR. I'VE BEEN A PANNEL BEATER FOR 20 YEAR THEY WERE ALL VERY GOOD AND TIGHT FIT (VERY HARD TO SHUT),WHEN USED MAGIC SPRAY AS WELL THE DOOR THEN OPENED AND CLOSE LIKE THE DAY THE CAR CAME OUT FROM FACTORY. THE ONLY BAD THING ABOUT RARE SPARES LC-LJ RUBBER I FOUND ARE THE FRONT QUARTER DOOR WINDOW RUBBERS FIT PRITTY ROUGH AND YOU CAN SEE THE ROUGH FINISH ,DONT FIT AND LOOK AS GOOD AS THE ORIGINAL ONES.

#2 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2006 - 11:05 PM

yep i agree, i got a full rubber kit, the door rubbers fit beautifuly but the front quarter rubbers could be a lot better.

#3 _vtss_

_vtss_
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2006 - 11:15 PM

ALL I HAVE TO FIT ON NOW ARE THE DOOR OUTER WINDOW RUBBER WEATHER STRIPS ,BUT HAVE TO FIND THE CLIPS FIRST TO HOLD THEM ON , SHOULD OF BEEN SUPPLYED BY RARE SPARE IN RUBBER KIT AS WELL ,AS EVERY ONE KNOWS THEY RUST AWAY TO DUST .LOOKS LIKE L'LL BE MAKING THEM THIS WEEKEND

Edited by vtss, 10 March 2006 - 11:19 PM.

#4 _WYLDLC 6_

_WYLDLC 6_
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2006 - 07:20 AM

As far I know they don't sell those clips anymore as they are no longer manufactured. What I've been told is that most people use some sort of rubber glue or try to find old clips. I chose to glue mine they came up well as I found that 30 odd year old clips were quite brittle.
Hope this helps.
Cheers Chris.

#5 _lcgtr_

_lcgtr_
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2006 - 05:40 PM

Whats this magic spray ?????????????????

#6 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2006 - 05:40 PM

vtss do u spray the Magic Spray on before or after the fitting?

Also, press the CAPSLOCK button so its off when you type so it doesn't SEEM LIKE YOU ARE SHOUTING ALL THE TIME :tease:

#7 jpxu1

jpxu1

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 08:36 PM

Yeah.......... I want to know what this magic spray stuff is as well. I've been slamming my doors for years and they aren't getting any better :rolleyes:

It was going to be the first thing I railroaded the Rares Spares guys about on the members night :shoot:

jpxu1 :D

#8 _boynuz_

_boynuz_
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2006 - 02:38 AM

vtss installed the door rubbers on my LC a few weeks back at the start you had to really slam them to shut.
Les gave us some magic spray to try, What we did was spray the rubbers then shut the doors for 24 hours.
We done this 5 times in the last 2 weeks and the doors shut perfect with out having to slam them.

My doors weren't perfect as well vtss had to re align them before fitting the rubbers, On a car that everything is perfect you will never have problems unless rubbers are not fitted correctly.

As vtss has said the front vent rubbers are very rough and can be improved.

#9 _vtss_

_vtss_
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2006 - 10:03 AM

vtss do u spray the Magic Spray on before or after the fitting?

Also, press the CAPSLOCK button so its off when you type so it doesn't SEEM LIKE YOU ARE SHOUTING ALL THE TIME :tease:

YOU SPRAY RUBBERS AFTER YOU FIT AND ARE GLUED IN FIRST THEN THE NEXT DAY SPRAY THE MAGIC SPRAY . YOU CAN GET FROM RARE SPARES. DO THIS TWO OR THREE TIMES LIVE IT EACH TIME 24HOURS WITH DOOR SHUT AND SEE HOW YOU GO

#10 _vtss_

_vtss_
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2006 - 10:14 AM

Yeah.......... I want to know what this magic spray stuff is as well. I've been slamming my doors for years and they aren't getting any better :rolleyes:

It was going to be the first thing I railroaded the Rares Spares guys about on the members night  :shoot:

THE MAGIC SPRAY SOFTENS THE RUBBER SO IT CAN MOULD TO YOUR DOOR JAM FRAME .THAT HOW ITS WAS DONE WHEN THEY WERE MADE FROM FACTORY THEY ONLY HAD TO SPRAY (THE SPRAY THEY USED NAME WAS UNKWON TO HIM ) ONE TIME ONLY .MY FATHER INLAW TOLD ME THAT BECAUSE HE WAS ON THE GMH ASS LINE FITTING THEM FROM 1964 TO 1971
REMEMDER WHEN SHUTTING YOUR DOORS SHUT FROM WINDOW FRAME NOT DOOR HANDLE.
IF ANY NEED HELP T FIX THERE DOORS UP JUST LET ME KNOW

Edited by vtss, 12 March 2006 - 10:25 AM.

#11 jpxu1

jpxu1

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 08:49 PM

Thanks for that info vtss. :spoton:

I've just done a search on the Rare Spares site and 'magic spray' doesn't come up :cry:

So, come on Les- what's this 'magic' stuff called these days? AND I suggest you organise a special delivery so there's plenty on hand at the members night :clappin:

Cheers,

#12 _finer70_

_finer70_
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2006 - 09:01 PM

I bought some Majic Spray off Rare Spares the other day.

Don't know just what is in it but it smells the same as the tyer spray. Possibly a similar base constituent.

I have sprayed one of my LC door rubbers. Not noticed a great deal of difference yet. probably will need several applications to get good penetration to increase the suppleness of the rubber. Lets face it, the rubber will need to relax to allow it to better mould itself to the required shape.

If it did this overnight I would not expect the rubber to last very long as its durability would probably deteriorate just as rappidly.

Patients is a virtue.

#13 _82911_

_82911_
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2006 - 10:24 PM

In the interests of resprays and touch-ups to paint and panels...
I would like to know if this "magic spray" contains any silicone compounds???
I would like to spray my rubbers too... but not if it means that the next time i try to touch up my paint I end up with fish eyes everywhere!!!

Cheers Greg..

#14 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 12:26 AM

I have used rubber spray on my door rubbers and left it overnight 3 times now - it has made a slight difference but the major improvment was in getting my panels actually aligned.

On the tin of rubber magic is claims to be good at restoring all rubber stuff - I am trying it on all sorts of stuff like bump stops and it does make them look heaps better - good stuff to have around in general.

M@

#15 _bad gpak_

_bad gpak_
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2006 - 08:41 PM

I have used rubber spray on my door rubbers and left it overnight 3 times now - it has made a slight difference but the major improvment was in getting my panels actually aligned.

On the tin of rubber magic is claims to be good at restoring all rubber stuff - I am trying it on all sorts of stuff like bump stops and it does make them look heaps better - good stuff to have around in general.

M@

no good for hard rubber like stops only good for rubber grade like door and boot seals . all l can see its abit like a silicon spray not good to use to many time will stuff up rubbers
make then britale as they get older

#16 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 11:42 PM

You have me worried now, I was going to start spraying it everywhere. :D

I re-read the tin and it does say door seals, rubber mats and tires etc. .. bit vauge this last one.

will stuff up rubbers
make then britale as they get older

These bump stops I tried it on are 30 Y/O things - made them look a lot better (they were already a tiny bit cracked on the surface and squashed).

I do reckon it does something for the door seals though - interresting to note above they used that sort of stuff at the factory when they made them.

M@

#17 _vtss_

_vtss_
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 07:16 PM

It will not stuff up rubbers as you know rubber when it gets older it starts to crack like leather if you look after then with cemicals like magic or other rubber conditioner that keep then soft and flexible they will look like new for a lot longer and does'nt let then hardern up and crack as they age

#18 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 08:06 PM

Is it just a silicon spray or something else?

#19 _vtss_

_vtss_
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2006 - 10:17 PM

Where is Les from rare spares to answer a few questons ?

#20 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 03:54 PM

I checked the tin last night and it says in big writing 'CONTAINS NO SILICON'

Sounds pretty clear.

It does not actually tell you the active ingredients though.

M@

#21 _lcgtr_

_lcgtr_
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2006 - 08:34 PM

Can one of you guys post a pic of the can. Ive been all over the Rare Spares site and cant find anything called RUBBER MAGIC.

#22 _dave720gtr_

_dave720gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 12:25 AM

ALL I HAVE TO FIT ON NOW ARE THE DOOR OUTER WINDOW RUBBER WEATHER STRIPS ,BUT HAVE TO FIND THE CLIPS FIRST TO HOLD THEM ON , SHOULD OF BEEN SUPPLYED BY RARE SPARE IN RUBBER KIT AS WELL ,AS EVERY ONE KNOWS THEY RUST AWAY TO DUST .LOOKS LIKE L'LL BE MAKING THEM THIS WEEKEND

Thay should of come in with the rubbers wether strips
my ones came with the clips thay were from clark rubber you will be flatout making them look tricky spring steel two. i got the full kit of outer/iner wether stips $136 as i say thay were in the bag all the clips and i also got my 1/4glass rubers there and thay look good no probs with the doors not shuting ethere

dave..... :ZZZ:

#23 _boynuz_

_boynuz_
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 04:55 AM

Lcgtr the code for the magic rubber spray is RM5 when you go into the rare spares catalogue click onto full rubber kit then click on contents and in comes up but it has no price.

Hi dave720gtr i purchased the full rubber kit from rare spares and it didn't have the clips. I even asked at the preston store and they didn't have them listed.
That means that clarks rubber must be getting them made it would be interesting to see how their rubbers are compared to rare spares.
I will go their and ask if they sell the clips separate it will save us a lot of time in trying to make them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users