34 replies to this topic

#26 mrlctorana

mrlctorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 06:29 AM

Exact same time and mph I ran in my LC, 13.5 @ 101mph, Pretty similar setup aswell. Your car even sound very similar to what mine sounded like.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Suf0D9SEg4o

Nice work mate, looking forward to seeing you get some more out of it.

Cheers

Les

#27 Com_VC

Com_VC

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 02:55 PM

nice work on the crank! What $$$ did it cost you to have it balanced after you finished all the knife edgeing etc?

Thanks

#28 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2009 - 03:10 PM

Exact same time and mph I ran in my LC, 13.5 @ 101mph, Pretty similar setup aswell. Your car even sound very similar to what mine sounded like.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Suf0D9SEg4o

Nice work mate, looking forward to seeing you get some more out of it.

Cheers

Les

Nice video Les, cant wait to get over to the Isle to see what you guys have. Everything I hear about you guys is fantastic cars in exc. condition. Sorry for the thread steal, I only borrowed it briefly ;)

Herne

#29 _NZ Toranaman_

_NZ Toranaman_
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2009 - 03:37 PM

nice work on the crank! What $$$ did it cost you to have it balanced after you finished all the knife edgeing etc?

Thanks

It was $120 and you may or may not know it has helped it to a 13.1 now from a car that owes me around A$5500 in total!

If you feel game do it I say, that standard crank is like a barge where as mine is like a speedboat pushing through the oil :)

#30 Com_VC

Com_VC

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 04:00 PM

Yeah i've been following your threads, i'm pretty amazed with these low buck mods of yours and you're doing it all yourself with times to prove :)

With the shaping does it matter if they are not all the same as i'd imagine it would be pretty difficult to make them identically the same without a machine?

Thanks

It was $120 and you may or may not know it has helped it to a 13.1 now from a car that owes me around A$5500 in total!

If you feel game do it I say, that standard crank is like a barge where as mine is like a speedboat pushing through the oil :)

#31 _NZ Toranaman_

_NZ Toranaman_
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2009 - 04:34 PM

Yeah i've been following your threads, i'm pretty amazed with these low buck mods of yours and you're doing it all yourself with times to prove :)

With the shaping does it matter if they are not all the same as i'd imagine it would be pretty difficult to make them identically the same without a machine?

Thanks

Your not the only one who is amazed... Many years ago I used to live in Blacktown, Sydney and had a red 186 LC Torana 4-door everyday driver that was a 12 second car and that used to amaze me along with everyone who knew it and now its happening again :D

I think the key is I am still using a lightweight drivetrain.
Learn to drive smoothly but fast, practice smooth driving and your car will last longer, Brocky and Bondy were the masters, I am the pupil.

Using a cutting disc I just used a block of wood to mark the top leading face then cut on an angle outwards. I then spent the next 2 days shaping them trying to get each one as centred as possible by eye, I have a reasonable eye but to be honest anyone can do it with a little care. I covered the unground journals just in case.

Things to check first:
Make sure you have nice crank that at the most needs a .010 grind
Make sure the thrust ring is in good nick, manuals are prone to wearing them out early.
Use a black/Blue crank as they are smoother and easier to balance.
When balancing take the entire crank, clutch and flywheel and do it together and mark it so it goes back together in the correct place,(should be done when balancing but better to safe than sorry)

Lighten the flywheel the same way as I did and I am using the smallest clutch plate as possible! (vid on youtube)
Now here is the other thing I have not revealed yet as no one asked, I took a stock pressure plate into a clutch shop and added a strap to make a toal of 3 straps on the 4 that were on the original.
Make sure its a good pressure plate or its wasted money.
There are 3 different size 6 cylinder clutch plates!

I don't mind sharing most of my secrets as I love the sound of a screamin holden 6
Only use professionals to do the final work as they will tell you if your going past the realms of safety.
Cheers
Graham

Posted Image

Edited by NZ Toranaman, 17 March 2009 - 04:40 PM.

#32 _tyre fryer_

_tyre fryer_
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:56 PM

Thanks for sharing mate, this is the best thread on the forums!
Is the picture above before are after?

#33 _NZ Toranaman_

_NZ Toranaman_
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2009 - 05:10 AM

Thanks for sharing mate, this is the best thread on the forums!
Is the picture above before are after?

The pic above is the before, all I had done was mark the leading counterweight to give me an approx guide to start.
I cut the corners off to save time grinding as it would have taken a week. LOL someone locally called called me a modern Burt Munro but that guy was well ahead of me as he made his own pistons even :D

And thanks for the comment, I am not young anymore and the experience from the past tinkering with cars and engines before aftermarket parts were available has helped.

Don't overlook the flywheel in this build as its totally different from what most people do to lighten a flywheel!
The weight only is a small factor as you need to remove outside weight and many don't do this as you need a computerised machine. Also be aware that because you have removed surface area from the flywheel it is easier to overheat so don't ride the clutch in normal use.

15lb flywheel - taken in to the size of the clutch plate.
Posted Image

Strong spark needed
Posted Image

Stage 2 shows after the initial cut
Posted Image

Almost finished, just needs to be smoothed to remove any possible weak points
Posted Image

Edited by NZ Toranaman, 18 March 2009 - 05:13 AM.

#34 _1QUICK LJ_

_1QUICK LJ_
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2009 - 11:34 PM

maybe some more head work might be the go!

#35 _Allports_

_Allports_
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2009 - 11:54 PM

Leading edge of the crank needs to be a radius and the trailing edge (as you have done) needs to be sharp. You can stick it up in a latheand taper the counterweight all the way down if you wish. Most guys running the later crank do it that way. Personally I've always run the early red cranks without an issue, inc the JZ 7.7 engine that was a red 202 crank.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users