Hopper Stoppers Installation Query

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2006 - 07:47 PM

Hey all, well started fitting my Hopper Stoppers kit today untill i got to step 6 and found something im not 100% sure of, so as with everything else with my car i want to make sure its perfect so thought id better ask...

ok here is what the instructions say exactly..

"6. Grease the new mounting hub and wheel bearing sets and install the inner bearing, fitting the grease seal to the stub axle. Install the hub onto the stub axle, install the outer bearing, refit the bearing tab washer and fit centre nut, tightening to recommended preload, which for taper bearings should allow a small ammount of end float rather then too tight which will destroy the bearings. fit the original castle washer and new split pin. Refit grease cap"

ok now my problem is with the "refit the bearing tab washer and fit centre nut" as when i removed the old brake setup it didnt have anything like that i think... so i figured there just talking about the washer and castlated nut.. but then abit further on it says fit castle WASHER.... and i donno if thats supposed to say nut or what?

so yea if anyone could clarify on this that would be great

Cheers
-Clint

#2 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2006 - 08:41 PM

Sounds like the washer that sits under the castellated nut. These washers should have a locating dick so it doesn't rotate.

#3 tinkers

tinkers

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts
  • Name:Kerri
  • Car:LX Hatch & VX Clubsport & VS Ute

Posted 11 March 2006 - 10:17 PM

bearing tab washer and centre nut = washer and castlated nut

#4 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2006 - 02:13 PM

Cheers, now i just goto find where that washer got to hehe

#5 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2006 - 04:53 PM

I've got a couple of spares if you have a 50 cent stamp.

#6 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2006 - 09:06 PM

Well people's found that washer, was stuck to the old bearing.... but new problem has arisen :( got the whole kit on, all goodly :) BUT went to fit my 15x7" Cragar SS's they went on ok but it like JUST scrapes... well can turn the wheel and hear scraping but it gets to one spot on the wheel and gets stuck :S... so i took the wheel off and was a bit of paint scrapped off the caliper so i guess its rubbing on that.... is my only Option to grind some off the top of the caliper or get bigger wheels? is it totally fine to grind some off?

Cheers
-Clint

Edited by Viper, 18 March 2006 - 09:07 PM.

#7 _mra9x_

_mra9x_
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2006 - 09:48 PM

when i bought my kit the guy told me that with some wheels especially simmons they will touch however they also sell a spacer to pack the wheel out a touch

#8 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 08:32 AM

when i bought my kit the guy told me that with some wheels especially simmons they will touch however they also sell a spacer to pack the wheel out a touch

Simmons 14/15 and 16's wont fit, you need 17's or spacer on the smaller sizes.
VT commodores run 15's standard and they just clear the calipers.

#9 holdenuc

holdenuc

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 11:56 AM

I'm in the process of fitting my kit as well, and I have found my simmons wheels are hitting the caliper, even with the 8mm spacer they recommend. I am going to have to take a little off my calipers, & get a bigger spacer :cry:

holdenuc

#10 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2006 - 12:39 PM

Well had a closer look today and found that the stitch welds that hold the inner to the outer part of the rim are what its hittin on, and its only JUST, so looks like a spacer will do the trick... Neil if your there, would I be able to get a spacer from PBP? but just thinking.... arnt spacers illigal??? I goto pass pits with this :( would i be better off grinding a touch off the caliper.... would only need a few mm's i beleive... I dont think griding the welds on the rim would be a good idea right?

-Clint

#11 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2006 - 02:13 PM

It would be OK to clean up the welds on the rim, ( ie: remove rough spots ) but that's it. Spacers are only legal under the following two circumstances:

#1 They are original equipment for that particular car. ( ie:xu-1 spacers on a non xu-1 is not legal )
#2 The spacer it physically attached to the hub, not just held in place when the wheel is tightened.

Otherwise, they are illegal.

#12 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 19 March 2006 - 02:57 PM

Clint
We don't have any spacers I'm afraid
I'd refrain from taking anything of the caliper if its at all possible.
As Chop said maybe you could clean up the welds on thw eheel alittle and see if this helps
Failing that yes some thin spacers
Rego doesn't like them........ but how will they know they are there ?
I doubt they will take a wheel off..... but you never know

If the spacer is rivetted or bolted to the wheel so its permenant would that be considered legal ?Or alternatively screwed to the hub would work too

#13 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 08:15 PM

get the spacer welded to the flange of the rim.

#14 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2006 - 09:31 PM

You wouldn't catch me welding anything to a rim. What if it weakens the rim? No thanks. If you use a self tapper to affix it to the hub, it is then considered part of the hub and therefore legal. Check with local rego pricks first.

#15 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 08:14 PM

Ok option 2, sell you rims and buy larger versions, those cragars come in 16 and 17's these days.

Done deal, fixed, nice and easy. Nice and legal and safe. All sleep easy now. :ZZZ:

#16 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2006 - 08:20 PM

Not to mention that anything smaller than 16" are dinosaurs. Buy stuff that will still be available when they wear out in 5 years. My tyres only last 12 months at the most, but I do a lot of KM in those 12 months.

#17 _Torana482HP_

_Torana482HP_
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 07:23 PM

My tyres only last 12 months at the most, but I do a lot of KM in those 12 months.

Do your rear tyres do more km's than your front tyres like my car?

Funny how that can happen :D

lol.

#18 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 08:06 PM

I get about 80,000 KM out of my Michelin 15" LT tyres.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users