Internal spring compressor

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2006 - 01:09 AM

I'm trying to put the springs back in the front crossmember of the drag car. Problem is, with no engine in it's very hard ( read: impossible ) to get the buggers in. So before somebody suggests using wire to bind them up, I'm looking to borrow/buy an internal spring compressor. Ideally this morning. Ideally Melb eastern suburbs. An idea on price would be good too.

#2 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2006 - 01:41 AM

A good way to get them in is buy dismantling a scissor jack and useing the big giant bolt thru the spring were the shocker would go, all you need to do is tighten the bolt and it will bring both wishbones together so you can then bolt up the stub axle..

As for cost id say fuk all at pick a part or even any local wreckers..

Hope this helps

John

Edited by TORANASS, 12 March 2006 - 01:42 AM.

#3 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2006 - 01:51 AM

The springs are so long they need to be compressed several inches so it will sit in the recess in the lower arm. I definitely need the proper tool for these springs.

#4 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2006 - 03:42 AM

Far out they sound like a bit too much, you sure there the correct springs?

Iv had heavy duty standerd size springs befor(pedders) wich i got for my old hatch and they were a tight fit but i could still get them into were they sit..

Why are you running springs so tall chop? Maybe you could use normal spring tools to compress the spring enough to sit in place then use my method?

John

#5 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2006 - 09:49 AM

They are a custom made spring. Because they are on the soft side, they need to be a bit long to stop the car resting on the sills. Anyway, I'll check out Bunnings and Repco after I finish breakfast.

#6 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2006 - 01:43 PM

Repco "only" want $194 for one. ATM, I'm playing with an external one and modifying a few other items to see if that will work without injuring myself.

#7 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 12 March 2006 - 04:43 PM

just go to your local hardware store and get a length of threaded bar, they can normally cut it to what ever size you need. then you need to either do it how John said, or you can make up 2 bits of plate to sit on the coils of the spring.
I cann see that costing more that $15

#8 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2006 - 04:52 PM

I've got some threaded bar. So how do I go about the rest? I don't quite follow. A picture would be better to follow than text.

#9 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 12 March 2006 - 05:00 PM

"SS'S" method sounds to me that you put the threaded bar down through the middle of the spring where the shocker would normally go and wind the nuts down on your bar. (With the lower control arm fitted) May need big washer on the lower to stop it pulling through the hole.
Hope this helps.

RACV MAN

#10 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2006 - 05:05 PM

So you put a plate between the coils near the bottom of the spring, and the threaded nut on a plate on top of the crossmember where the top shocker nut sits? If that's what you mean, I now understand.

#11 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 12 March 2006 - 07:43 PM

No! The bottom of the all thread goes through the lower wishbone, through the lower shocker mount hole. so the wish bone and the crossmember effectively compress the spring.
Hope I'm not too late!

RACV MAN

#12 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2006 - 12:10 AM

Hi Guys,

I shall be at the same cross roads in the next week or two.

Yes it would be easier if the x member was weighed down by a car and engine but mine is out on the garage floor. So a jack under the lower arm will not work.

An external spring compressor has no hope. I did use the external compressor during disassembly by passing it through the lower arm shocker hole to gently release the spring but it got to a point were the arm need to swing a long way down to release the spring. The compressor threaded rod interfered with this and I removed it before kicking out the spring. Fugging long spring.

The way I see it, due to the long length of the stock spring and that the spring appears to need to be compressed a little to allow the lower arm to be swung up to capture the bottom of the spring. It is more practicle to compress the spring through the top shocker hole. I just need to make the plate that inserts through the lower part of the spring, it will need to allow for the coil angles for it to engage into.

I have two compressor types, one has a single finger claw, the other a two finger claw. The second one is bulky and a prick to use but has a very thick threaded rod.

Both threads fit through the top shocker shaft hole.

The point is that a threaded rod through the top hole will have tremendous energy stored when the spring is compressed. Someone can be damaged beyond repair if your head is in the wrong place at the wrong time!

Be careful please.

#13 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 13 March 2006 - 08:31 AM

chpo, you can put the plate as you said in your post, or you can do it as Rodomo said and use it to pull up the wishbone.

#14 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2006 - 11:27 AM

My crossmember is on the garage floor. All I know is I'll try something different to what I did. Sooner or later I'll get the buggers in.

#15 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 05:27 PM

Hey chopper, I saw the internal spring compressors in the tool catalog at my parts place the other day - I'll ring them up and get a price tomorrow if you are still looking.

I actually costed up making a set of these a few months back. I was going to use grade 8 - 1/2" UNF threaded rod as the springs will have a huge force on them when compressed, so I didn't want to use carbon steel bukka rod.

1m of Grade8 threaded rod is $90 on it's own - I think you will find that is one of the reasons why the tool is worth that much.

M@

#16 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2006 - 06:24 PM

If you could check it out, that would be great. Obviously I need a distributer in VIC.

#17 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 02:09 PM

G'day Chopper,

The Internal Spring Compressors are made by Ryan Tools in Melbourne and I can get for $95 trade price - No stock in Bris so they would take me a week or so to get from Melboune anyway. My supplier is Roadking auto parts in Brissy.

They are manufactured by :

Ryans Tools and Accessories
321 Arden St Kensington 3031
Ph:(03) 9376 7411
Fax: (03) 9376 2755

Tool part number is RT4025.

The pic in the catalog looks like they will do the job - would be good to physically try one before buying if you can to make sure it will fit through the shock absorber hole in the lower arm.

M@

Edited by Toranamat69, 14 March 2006 - 02:10 PM.

#18 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2006 - 06:07 PM

I started dealing with Ryans back in the early 80's. Though I haven't for quite some time. Shall get there ASAP with one of the springs. Thanks heaps for that.

#19 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2006 - 09:06 PM

There is a picture of the holden original tool in the LH service manual.

Appears to be a threaded rod with nuts top and bottom, a plate to capture the spring with grooves and a ball arrangement to allow for the fact the plate will sit on an angle in the spring coils.

I will be using this tool once or twice, maybe cheaper to make than buying a special trade quality tool. Can't be that hard.

#20 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2006 - 09:17 PM

Wouldn't be a part number in the piccy?

#21 _HB1200_

_HB1200_
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 05:19 PM

Litchfield catalogue lists LH,LX,UC front coil spring compressor as :
-Litchfield ref. E1917
-GMH tool No. 3A17

#22 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 07:59 PM

Ordered my internal spring compresser today. Should arrive Monday or Tuesday.

#23 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2006 - 09:04 PM

Finally picked up the spring compressor today. Looks like I'm banished to the garage for the next couple of weeks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users