#51 Collo

Collo

( . Y . )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114,647 posts
  • Car:A Black POS

Posted 15 March 2009 - 03:01 PM

The hoses on mine are PBR but I have another set of Torana calipers with the hoses still connected...will have a look when I find them.
Where are the date codes on them?

#52 FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

Forum Fixture

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:12 PM

Posted Image
3K4 (3-10-1974)

Though only one of the 6 front brake hoses i have here is dated.

So who supplied brake parts to Holden in the 1970,s ???

I think its safe to assume PBR was one.......................

:cry:

#53 _SableMet7/73_

_SableMet7/73_
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2009 - 05:59 PM

Hi Bruce,
Not doin much ATM so had a look at what I had around.

My 11/71 HQ has PBRs but little difficult to find a date code as their
on the car. I've owned it since 83 & havnt replaced them & they're the
original "rough" type. New replacements are smooth.

The 1s that came off the 7/73 Torrie had PBRs but no date code & are the
rough type. I had to replace these around early 05 as there were 235s on
the car that nearly rubbed all the way thru when on full lock.
Replacements I got from Rares were the smooth type & are PBRs as well.
The date code on the replacements are 09J5, is that a Sept 95 code? Coz as
said I bought & replaced them early 05

Jono

#54 FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

Forum Fixture

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:37 AM

G/Day Jono

Plenty of spare time ay......... So you,ve finished the 7/73 Bathurst ????????? Finally (lol)

Surely someone must know who supplied brake parts to Holden in the 1970,s ??????????

More researcherous........................... :cry:

#55 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,279 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:21 PM

Hi Guys.

This lot is stretching my memory a fair bit, but anyway here's what comes to mind. This info only applies to the 'big' Holdens & most Toranas & not the 4-cyl HB/LC/LJ/TA series or Geminis. Stuff for those cars was sourced from Lockheed, Girling & later Girlock.

AFAIK, all brake & clutch master cylinders as well as drum brake wheel cylinders, from the 48 (FX) up to the late 70s were made in-house by GM-H. The only exception I can think of would be the small number of 'no-nut' early HK units imported from the USA (the Delco-Moraine div. of GM). The first non-GM-H master cylinder to be seen regularly in production, was the PBR alloy type with the large plastic reservoir & which also incorporated the proportioning valve. These units were first seen (on Holdens) on the A9X, then the Commodore & the later (1979) UC Toranas & then finally the WB.

The current company known as ABS, formed in 1981 was a different entity to that which produced aftermarket brake parts in the 50s?, 60s & 70s. The most common-place old ABS item seen these days is the replacement plastic reservoir, with the black plastic lid, seen on FE-HR master cylinders. They also made replacement brake drums for pre-HK Holdens.

That no-nut cast iron cylinder shown in an earlier post is not a GM item. I'm not sure what brand it is, because even ABS had their logo cast into their cylinders.

Someone mentioned 'special' brake master cylinders used on Broughams, Statesmans or cars with factory a/cond. They did make a different version in early HK, to suit the old relay lever type booster. Early on, they attempted to get extra clearance for the Frigidaire compressor, on 307 V8s, by using a banjo & bolt fitting at the front port instead of a normal brake pipe & flare nut. This still caused dramas, so they made a batch of cylinders with the front port left un-drilled & the pipe exiting thru the centre of the big nut. I've occasionally seen these at swap meets, leaving plenty of guys scratching their heads. You should've heard some of the 'expert' theories.

Holden didn't make any disc calipers, they were all made by either Girling, PBR or Girlock.

I'm not sure about if it was 'all' hoses, but PBR certainly did supply a lot a brake hoses to GM-H for production. I'm not sure if any other companies supplied any brake parts for Holden but I can't think of any that would've been big enough to supply GM-H's huge demand in those days.

Dr Terry.

#56 Kockum

Kockum

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:01 AM

A question for DR TERRY . I have a cast iron LJ--HQ style big nut master cylinder with the date code 17GOA on the nut . Nothing unsual there , nuts were often replaced at rebuild time . However , the cylinder body has the date code 10F0 and HOLDEN cast on the bottom of it . I understand this style cylinder was not in production until late 1971 . Did they simply bugger up the date when it was cast .

#57 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,279 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:34 PM

A question for DR TERRY . I have a cast iron LJ--HQ style big nut master cylinder with the date code 17GOA on the nut . Nothing unsual there , nuts were often replaced at rebuild time . However , the cylinder body has the date code 10F0 and HOLDEN cast on the bottom of it . I understand this style cylinder was not in production until late 1971 . Did they simply bugger up the date when it was cast .

Hi Kockum.

They actually began fitting then in production in May '71 in early production HQs. It was originally intended that HQs be released in late 1970, but delays & strikes meant it wasn't released until July 71. The HG was never meant to be.

Your m/cyl is a very early one, so it was either 'on the shelf' awaiting HQ production or it was fitted to a pre-production or pilot car.

Dr Terry.

#58 Kockum

Kockum

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 11:45 PM

Dr Terry , thank you for your excellent information . What would we do without you .

#59 Kockum

Kockum

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:37 AM

Come on guys !!!!!!!

The answer is there in front of ya,s !!!!!!

When did the bignuts first get A and P stamped into them ???????

Posted Image

ADR 7 became effective from Janurary 1970

How any more clues do ya,s want ??????

Posted Image

:dohdoh:

:nudie:

^^^ When did you become a emoticon Johnno ? lol

When poking around at the local wrecker yesterday I came across the following which may put a fly in the ointment so to speak. It doesn't appear to be a restamp.

Posted Image

D.

#60 FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

Forum Fixture

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 12:31 AM

ADR 7 became effective from the 1st of Janurary 1970. :driving:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users