Shtstr

Formerly lcxu105

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts
  • Name:Mmmmmmm
  • Car:lx hatchback lc gtr

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:25 PM

question?? i didn't think the lx torana's ran the rubber bump stop in the tunnel like the uc's do

#153 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:19 AM

Above the diff you mean? Its shown in the LX parts manual (page 362).

Mine's a little shorter than factory due to the car being a bit on the low side ;)

edit: actually I've just noticed that the inset showing the bump stop says '8UG, 8UH, 5 Litre Eng.' so maybe not all models?

Edited by 76lxhatch, 14 September 2012 - 07:20 AM.

#154 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:48 PM

Drove a round trip of a bit over 500km on Saturday to see a car show, weather was great and lots of cars (no pics sorry). Torana went great, got somewhere around 14L/100km with 3 of us in the car cruising at a reasonable pace.

Ever since I've had the car the door seals have been on backwards/wrong doors and I've been meaning to swap them over. Started to do so yesterday and discovered this in the drivers door, decided I'd better fix it
IMAG0161_zps3644d7ce.jpg

A bit more digging
IMAG0162_zpsef4a1a9e.jpg
IMAG0164_zps23ccadd2.jpg

Fix the inner layer
IMAG0166_zps26154925.jpg

Cut out a piece of tin in roughly the right shape
IMAG0168_zps55cbef75.jpg

Glue it on
IMAG0170_zpsccddff7d.jpg

drill the trim holes and add a lick of paint
IMAG0174_zps21a33708.jpg

Took the opportunity to fit the new bailey channel I've had sitting around waiting for months/years too, just waiting on some replacement clips for the seal and door will go back on.

Edited by 76lxhatch, 21 July 2017 - 11:18 PM.

#155 _A9XOSS_

_A9XOSS_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:46 AM

nice little repair job you did there,well done.

#156 _greg2240_

_greg2240_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:48 PM

very nice hatch mate. only hope mine looks half as good. Well done

#157 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:07 PM

Pulled the car apart again a few weeks ago to fit the power steering along with a few other things that seem to have gotten out of hand...

Fitted the power steering (see http://www.gmh-toran..._25#entry709694), having a bit of a nightmare with a minor leak but I think I have a plan to fix it then will be ready for testing.

Changed the diff ratio to 3.45:1 (was 3.23:1, slightly too tall for good first gear take off).

Installed a nice hydraulic thrust bearing to go with the Muncie:
P1000620.jpg
P1000622.jpg
Still have to finish plumbing it up but I think I have all the fittings I need now. I'd be interested to know why aftermarket manufacturers all use AN fittings where everything else is standard inverted flare, its bloody impossible to get any sort of adapter.

Also spend a good portion of the weekend putting the new exhaust together:
P1000619.jpg
P1000627.jpg

Its 2.5" with X pipe, resonators and chamber mufflers. I had to tweak the side exit tail pipes shown on the previous page slightly but it all fits now and should just clear the lower trailing arms at full bump if my calculations are correct! Might trim the ends just a little to make them less conspicuous
P1000624.jpg

Bought a pair of Recaro front seats a while ago (same as fishnet style but with normal headrests) but I want to (try to) get it back on the road for next weekend so they will have to wait. Injection still waiting on manifold machining (not that I've done the wiring etc to be ready for it anyway).

Edited by 76lxhatch, 21 July 2017 - 11:18 PM.

#158 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:32 AM

Back on the road, clutch throw isn't quite perfect so I may have to adjust the pushrod on the pedal at some stage but good enough for now. Exhaust sounds better than I thought so quite happy about that. New diff ratio perfect for take off and 100km driving

#159 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:52 AM

Cool side exit mufflers !

I have Spintechs on mine....they use an oval pipe for the outlet side, so helps with clearance at least. (I use an X pipe too, from Pypes)
(before I had made the exhaust tips in these pics)

Attached Files

#160 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:05 AM

Hmmm side pipes. ; )

#161 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:30 PM

Jeff yours was one of the ones I was looking at when I had the silly idea originally, problem is we don't have good enough roads to get away with that little ground clearance. I think I saw one of your photos where the exit pipe came straight out under the trailing arm?

The outside edge of the mufflers where the exit pipes come out has only around 5mm clearance to the floor, the inside edge tilted down but still hardly below the bottom of the trailing arm. I also had thoughts about a front in/out (I think I saw it on a Corvette?) muffler and curving the exit pipe around the front of the rear passenger footwell but that would have been too low also.

As it is the lowest point is still the collector flanges, but only barely below the X pipe and resonators now (they have to run under the driveshaft loop, which now has a flat bottom to accommodate!). It will probably scrape some of that centre section on a big speed bump but at least it shouldn't rip anything off... time will tell!

I also have an ulterior motive for the side pipes (aside from them being cool!), need space around the drop tank at back for EFI system components soon and there's not enough room for both

#162 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:11 PM

I'll take a couple pictures tomorrow to show sort of mine hang down (just for the heck of it, ha ha) but I do like the tips you have made more than how mine worked out...I really like the big oval look of yours, I just couldn't find anything around off hand like that without buying a big complicated setup. I just went from the oval muffler to a round pipe (stainless painted black) and just angle cut them to try and look as best as I could.

And yep...it is nice to have all the room around the tank, I am just about to try and fit my new sway bars (rear mount rear one) so have all the room for that I will need as well.

Oh, and the roads here are not too bad...I take it easy over speed bumps in parking lots but haven't had any problems so far.

#163 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:32 AM

Here is how mine sits....high enough for around here at least, no going off roading with it though of course, ha ha..

(Sorry, I don't have any NZ beer cans for height comparison.. :P)

Attached Files

#164 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:51 AM

Yeah I'd probably lose that.

Just spun the clutch up in third gear on the drag strip, might have to call it a day... :-(

#165 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:15 AM

Bummer... :wacko:

#166 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:21 PM

Yeah seems to be pretty much normal again (drove it home) but not sure why it did it at all, never had any hassles before. Time will tell no doubt

#167 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:46 PM

Things that come and go like that can drive you nuts...hopefully it was just a fluke.

#168 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:30 PM

Load it up at low revs and the shifter starts wobbling back and forth quite violently, no noticeable increase in revs but I think its done. Lots of spare dust under the inspection cover.

Ordered one of these today: http://www.sunburybr...au/prod1901.htm
Now just have to figure out how to pay the credit card bill...!

#169 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

Definitely didn't look like this before...

IMAG0302_zps541b0cb4.jpg

IMAG0301_zps2b7457ca.jpg

I think I've figured out why too, guy at the local brake place made me up a dodgy 3/16" adapter to connect the new hydraulic slave (can't get AN fittings anywhere, why on earth do they use them?). It doesn't seem to be passing the fluid quickly enough, pedal feels normal but I think if I drop it quickly the clutch will probably engage just a little too slowly. Hopefully I can find a better solution.

Edited by 76lxhatch, 21 July 2017 - 11:19 PM.

#170 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:28 PM

You can get all sorts of AN fittings here (pretty easy too)....just what sort would you need to correct it ?

#171 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:59 PM

You can get a few here, but they're mostly alloy crap (the red and blue anodised stuff) and wrong sizes, just ricer bling for oil coolers etc. It needs to attach a 1/4" (tube size) inverted flare at the master to a -4 (7/16"-20 thread) female connection on the Tilton braided line. Hydraulic places here call them JIC fittings (not 100% sure if they're the same but compatible) and I think I've found a place which can supply a flare fitting and a male-male adapter to make it work - then I can just make a new 1/4" bundy line which will be full size the whole way.

Last time I bought one of these Tilton slaves it had much longer lines with banjo fittings and if I recall correctly it crimped onto a section of bundy tube at the master so it was no dramas. This one has o-rings and tiny circlips at the slave so they can't be replaced and the lines are ridiculously short with 37 degree AN ends... when almost all automotive hydraulic gear uses 45 degree inverted flares, go figure.

The adapter the brake place made me was just a ball flare to seal against the -4 female fitting. It did seal although I had misgivings at the time about the smaller inside diameter, should have listened to myself...! Never mind, I need a better clutch ;-)

#172 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:31 AM

I have AN fittings on my clutch setup as well..the transmission side uses the factory odd ball setup into the hydraulic throwout bearing..then the braided line goes to an AN fitting union and then up to my master cylinder. When I setup the master, I had a female NPT bung welded right onto it, then it's just an easy NPT- AN fitting..
Good you found a place to round up the fittings...if not was going to say to check around over here, since there is a pretty good assortment of AN (JIC) and other sorts of assorted fittings if you know where to look :D

#173 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:50 AM

Yep found it this morning, thanks. The biggest problem is that no-one knows about automotive stuff, they're just not interested.

Now just have to go somewhere else to get some more bundy... flywheel should be done soon too :-)

#174 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:57 AM

I'd say it looks like your flywheel is already "done" :badabing: lol

#175 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

Haha yeah I was a bit worried but the flywheel still had a fairly flat surface unlike the clutch plate which looked like the surface had actually melted. Just picked it up and looks good not too much taken off either.

Going to rebuild the shifter linkages with rod ends then everything goes back together this weekend hopefully

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users