LC Petrol tank

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 _alex.james_

_alex.james_
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2009 - 01:10 PM

My LC Petrol tank has developed a couple of minor rust holes. What is my most effective way of dealing with this? Can I buy a new replacement tank from anywhere? If not then upon buying a second hand tank, is there anywhere I can take it to have it reconditioned before putting it in? I'm concerned about the effort of getting a replacement put in that is already on it's last legs as well. I'd rather pay more and have some peace of mind that the thing will last a reasonable amount of time.. Any advice appreciated!

#2 _SRC63_

_SRC63_
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2009 - 02:08 PM

Permanent Painted Coatings Australia (http://www.ppc.au.com/) supply a tank sealing kit that has been used by other members of this forum with good results. Doesn't appear to take much effort but means your tank will be out of the car for a couple of day.

Have a look at the we site and see what you think.

#3 _alex.james_

_alex.james_
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2009 - 05:36 PM

Permanent Painted Coatings Australia (http://www.ppc.au.com/) supply a tank sealing kit that has been used by other members of this forum with good results. Doesn't appear to take much effort but means your tank will be out of the car for a couple of day.

Have a look at the we site and see what you think.

Thanks for that, it looks OK. I'm concerned the tank might be past just this sort of treatment though because of it's level of corrosion. I will buy the product to put in a new tank though or my tank once it's had some level of repairs done to it. If I wanted new metal welded in over the corroded bits then where would you take the car? Do you rock up at a panel beaters with a fuel tank to be fixed ala when you want normal rust repairs done to your car??

#4 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2009 - 07:15 AM

mate i have 20 or so of these things must be worth 30 to 50 bucks each and you pay post, i have from avriage to really good condition ones, let me know.

cheers gong.

#5 _alex.james_

_alex.james_
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2009 - 09:51 PM

mate i have 20 or so of these things must be worth 30 to 50 bucks each and you pay post, i have from avriage to really good condition ones, let me know.

cheers gong.

Excellent, I have sent you a PM. My hope is to get one that is already in good hole free condition and then before installing it I will buy that tank sealant stuff to put on the inside this time as a preventative measure against any future problems developing. The advice here has thus been quite helpful!

These rust problems around my boot/tank are all thanks to some absolute d-head of a locksmith. A few years back my boot lock broke and I couldn't open it. I thus took the car to a locksmith to have it replaced. I assumed that the lock was going to be drilled out or something to get it open and a new one put in. Instead the idiot opened my boot with a crow bar. He broke off a lot of paint and as an added bonus my boot has leaked ever since. Was totally fuming when I went to pick it up and I was presented with a bill for his handywork. I mean bloody hell, If I just wanted the thing wrenched open I could have done that myself!

#6 _alex.james_

_alex.james_
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:05 PM

Also I saw some place that is selling new stainless steel LC tanks at: http://gallery.oldho...ess-fuel-tanks/

They look nice, but at $800 I might put that on the backburner for when I have more available to spend on the car.

For the moment, with my leaking tank I have sealed it up with a whole tube of this stuff called Selleys "knead It Steel". It says that it can be used for fuel tank leaks. Not sure how well it will work or how long it will last but at least for the moment whilst I am sorting out a new tank the car will hopefully still be able to be driven conservative distances safely. Will know tomorrow when the stuff has set hard. Will take it for a drive and see if I can see any moisture or smell anything around the spot.

Just out of interest how many hours labour should a mechanic be looking at to remove the old tank and put the new one in? It doesn't really look very difficult so I might try myself but just because of the fact that petrol is involved etc I'd probably prefer to watch a professional do it the first time..

#7 _gtr2600S_

_gtr2600S_
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:09 AM

I've also had problems with a leaking fuel tank - in the end, the sealant worked beautifully, a long drawn out process of cleaning and etching that can be done at home, but worth it. The sealant not only fixed any minor rust holes, but it finds it's way into the nooks and cranny's, like the seams. Well worth the investment I'd say. I used POR 15, a kit available from Restorers Hotline, came with comprehensive instructions. I also bought two bungs (or 'chemical stops' - found here - http://www.fitchther...m.au/Plugs.htm) as the only additional cost. Made the process a little less messy.

Alex, you should be able to pull a fuel tank out of an LC/J in about 30 mins using simple tools like screwdrivers. You'll just need to siphon out any remaining fuel though. I disconnected the battery earth lead too, simply for safety.

Edited by gtr2600S, 22 March 2009 - 08:16 AM.

#8 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2009 - 05:16 AM

here al 2441 is my post code.

cheers gong

#9 _alex.james_

_alex.james_
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2009 - 11:06 PM

here al 2441 is my post code.

cheers gong

Thanks, will check it out & get back to you gong.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users