#1 Edk

Edk

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 09:17 PM

G'day all

Just wondering what is the best way to identify if a Torana is a Sunbird or not.
Obviously a Lx or UC, but with the LX ive read conflicting information, some saying sunbirds were only late 77
but then ive also seen 76.

Did a Sunbird only come out in 4 cycl? even so the engine could be changed

Is it on the tags? the grills different (which can be changed also)

The RTS badges if any would be long gone

Any suggestions?

Thanks

#2 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2009 - 09:46 PM

My LX Sunbird tag reads LX8UH69. L16 or L18 for sure maybe other numbers.

Hope that helps.

Herne

#3 Neils LX

Neils LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts
  • Name:a

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:46 PM

Hi
As fas as i know sunbirds are late 76-1980. The plate should be L16 on late LXs not sure on UCs

Edited by Neils LX, 25 March 2009 - 08:47 PM.

#4 blown308

blown308

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:10 PM

http://www.gmh-toran...showtopic=35440

this is a 75 Sunbird.. or Plus 4 ????

#5 _torbirdie_

_torbirdie_
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:33 PM

http://www.gmh-toran...showtopic=35440

this is a 75 Sunbird.. or Plus 4 ????

Just as there is no difference between the body codes of 6cyl and 8cylinder models, there was no difference with those of a four, they are all labelled as torana bodies. Only the engine/transmission/rear axle codes will tell you what it started out life as, the same as you would check if it came with a 6 or an 8. sunbird was just a badge.

#6 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,002 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:36 PM

Correct! Sunbird will have the badge holes in the quarter panels.

Having said that, I think there were 4 cyl Toranas that weren't Sunbirds so they would have no badge holes.

#7 Collo

Collo

( . Y . )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114,647 posts
  • Car:A Black POS

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:36 PM

Don't the Sunbirds have a U instead of a V in the model no., as per Hernes' post above?

#8 ToRunYa

ToRunYa

No Longer A Contributing Ninja/Member.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts
  • Name:Em

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:48 PM

that was my understanding. i have the "U" in mine - "U" for "u wanna put a decent motor in this......"

#9 Collo

Collo

( . Y . )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114,647 posts
  • Car:A Black POS

Posted 25 March 2009 - 11:03 PM

Hahaha yeah.
The LX I got my v8 out of was originally a Sunbird, and had the U.

#10 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,147 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:30 PM

Sunbird in LX is a different model code ie U as already pointed out, and was only in late LX. Earlier 4cyl LH/LX were 4cyl Toranas. The later LX 4cyl's aren't badged as Toranas, just as Sunbirds. However as in another post here they actually say Torana on the ADR plate although all other documentation refers to them only as Sunbird. So documentation refers to them as LX Torana for 6cyl and V8, and LX Sunbird for 4cyl. Just like HQ where you have HQ Holden and HQ Statesman.

#11 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:44 PM

However as in another post here they actually say Torana on the ADR plate although all other documentation refers to them only as Sunbird. So documentation refers to them as LX Torana for 6cyl and V8, and LX Sunbird for 4cyl. Just like HQ where you have HQ Holden and HQ Statesman.

WTF whats this "ONLY AS" bullshit? More elitism whether meant or not......

When will you guys let this drop.

EDIT, please do not bother trying to explain this to me, the chosen words are clear enough to me.

Herne

Edited by Herne, 26 March 2009 - 06:47 PM.

#12 _TUFF_

_TUFF_
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:49 PM

Who cares really... its a Torana!!

#13 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,147 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 08:14 PM

WTF?
Let what drop? Like anyone cares if a car is a Sunbird or Torana? Simple factual answer for a simple question about ID'ing a Sunbird and misconceptions about what engines they had. No "bullshit" involved from this side. Quote from documentation - "Torana & Holden Sunbird".

Edit from previous post - U in the model code meaning 4cyl only applies to LH/LX. All UC are coded U as the V designation shifted to VB Commodore.

#14 _rookie_

_rookie_
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2009 - 08:23 PM

Quote from documentation - "Torana & Holden Sunbird".

yeah not toranas and ONLY sunbirds

#15 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,147 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 06:57 AM

Mate it was Holden that chose mid model to stop referring to their their 4cyl middle sized model Torana, and starting to call it Sunbird. Not me, or you or anyone else. Prior to Sunbird release the 4cyl LH/LX version was badged and referred to as Torana. Why Holden did it is beyond me particularly since the ADR plate still has Torana stamped in it. Maybe they decided to kill off the Torana and replace it with the Commodore and the 4cyl "Torana" sized car would continue as the Sunbird? At the end of the day it's just historical fact, and since the body shell is the same who really cares? The only time it should really matter is if the car is being judged in Concours where it is important eg an immaculate restored LX/UC Sunbird, not a 6cyl shell made into a mock up Sunbird (although this is probably a silly scenario as it may never happen, but who knows).
So to me, I don't care less if it's a 4cyl Torana, a Sunbird or whatever. Just like I don't care if a modified Calais is done up to look like a Commodore and called a Commodore. Or a Futura or Fairmont are modified and called a Falcon. The original question was about how to tell if your car is a Sunbird or not, which is just as valid a question as how to tell if your car is an SL/R or not.

#16 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,279 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:28 AM

Hi Guys

I think somebody has taken the �only Sunbirds� comment out of context. When yel327 said �all other documentation refers to them only as Sunbirds� I took it as meaning that they weren�t labeled Torana-Sunbirds, they were simply a separate one word model name:- a Sunbird. Nothing elitist about that.

Holden just re-named & re-specified the Torana 1900 models as Sunbirds, from Nov 1976 onwards, so what? As yel327 said, the question about the ID is just as valid for a Sunbird as it is for an A9X, an HK Belmont or a VC Brock Commodore. Jeez, some blokes have very short fuses.

LH & LX Torana 1900 & LX Sunbird models are differentiated from their 6/V8 siblings by the UH or UG in the model number. 6/V8 models are VB, VC or VD. This does not apply in the UC series, where all Toranas or Sunbirds are either UH or UG. I think this will answer the original query.

Dr Terry.

#17 lcgtr1970

lcgtr1970

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts
  • Name:Jordan

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:33 AM

WTF whats this "ONLY AS" bullshit? More elitism whether meant or not......

When will you guys let this drop.

EDIT, please do not bother trying to explain this to me, the chosen words are clear enough to me.

Herne

i dont think the "only as" was meant as derogatory, but rather stating the fact that holden had only the words sunbird on the documentation instead of torana as well.

dr terry beat me to it!

Edited by lcgtr1970, 27 March 2009 - 11:34 AM.

#18 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:39 AM

Put as much spin on it as you want guys. Its usual here and why I didnt want it answered.

Herne

Edited by Herne, 27 March 2009 - 11:39 AM.

#19 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,279 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 12:18 PM

Put as much spin on it as you want guys. Its usual here and why I didnt want it answered.

Herne

As I said, some of you guys have short fuses.

What is the problem & what is 'usual' here.

Dr Terry

#20 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2009 - 12:41 PM

Herne?

A little out of character for you. Everything OK?

#21 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2009 - 12:46 PM

Herne?

A little out of character for you. Everything OK?

Hi Baron, yeah mate I am absolutely fine :) Thanks for asking. I call em like I see em, always have and always will.
No spin from me ever.

Cheers
Herne

#22 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 01:12 PM

Another way to identify a Sunbird is stand around at a car show and watch which Toranas people Jeer.

#23 _sstorana_

_sstorana_
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2009 - 01:14 PM

SUNBIRDS ROCK!!

as does any Torana!!

One of the nicest Stock "Torana's" I have ever driven..

Posted Image

#24 _rookie_

_rookie_
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2009 - 03:25 PM

come on guys we can handle a bit of shit throwing at each other lol we're guys, we can have a punch up and be best mates 10 mins later, its the privelege of being a guy :spoton: .

#25 _torbirdie_

_torbirdie_
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2009 - 04:47 PM

The only time it should really matter is if the car is being judged in Concours where it is important eg an immaculate restored LX/UC Sunbird, not a 6cyl shell made into a mock up Sunbird (although this is probably a silly scenario as it may never happen, but who knows).

I admit I helped mislead people in my previous post, it is only the uc where there is no distinction between the codes of the body numbers. However, I do have a problem with the post ^, the point is there is no difference between the shells of the toranas and sunbirds or 4,6, 8 versions.......its only the markings on some tags that has some value for some people, the fact that the adr tag on my uc (badged sunbird) refers to torana tells me that its a torana body shell, it cant be argued with.

personally the only interest the tags for myself is to work out if it was stolen.

Edited by torbirdie, 27 March 2009 - 04:53 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users