Photo

Sunbird or not?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#26 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2009 - 05:25 PM

Hi Torbirdie, I was never misled by your post I understood perfectly :)

Cheers
Herne

#27 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,147 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 06:15 PM

I admit I helped mislead people in my previous post, it is only the uc where there is no distinction between the codes of the body numbers. However, I do have a problem with the post ^, the point is there is no difference between the shells of the toranas and sunbirds or 4,6, 8 versions.......its only the markings on some tags that has some value for some people, the fact that the adr tag on my uc (badged sunbird) refers to torana tells me that its a torana body shell, it cant be argued with.

personally the only interest the tags for myself is to work out if it was stolen.

I wasn't mislead by your post either. Just not sure what you mean by the above post though? I cannot see how say an original 202 SL shell and tags could possible be judged in a concours class as a Sunbird. Or a Sunbird or any other S, SL etc judged as an SLR5000 for that matter. That was my point anyway ie that the fact a car started life as a 4cyl has no relevance except where judging requires the tags to match the build configuration (and also with value of the car as well to some, as you pointed out).
Note that there is some minor differences between UC Sunbird and Torana shells. One that comes to mind is the location of the shifter hole cut into the tunnel with an MC6 car (assuming my memory of that is intact - it's been 15 years since I converted one to a 6cyl). There are probably others too. Nothing that can't be changed easily though if you wanted to.

#28 _torbirdie_

_torbirdie_
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2009 - 12:59 PM

I wasn't mislead by your post either. Just not sure what you mean by the above post though? I cannot see how say an original 202 SL shell and tags could possible be judged in a concours class as a Sunbird.

The point Im making is that to make any torana or sunbird all you need from the parts bin is : one TORANA body shell, one engine, gearbox etc. Every body shell is the same. If concourse class is about having the right tags for engine/trans/rear axle etc, then yes you are right, but who is challenging you on that?

One that comes to mind is the location of the shifter hole cut into the tunnel with an MC6 car (assuming my memory of that is intact - it's been 15 years since I converted one to a 6cyl). There are probably others too. Nothing that can't be changed easily though if you wanted to.

yeh, there's all of that, like the three speed manuals and column shift autos wouldnt even have had a hole.
some ucs got the mc6 with the 2.8L motor.

#29 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,147 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 02:40 PM

but who is challenging you on that?

yeh, there's all of that, like the three speed manuals and column shift autos wouldnt even have had a hole.
some ucs got the mc6 with the 2.8L motor.

Well, you were... That was the single point of my statement ie it is (originality and associated value aside) the only time it matters what the car started it's life as. I'm with you that a body shell is basically a spare part in most circumstances, but many disagree hence the reason why rebodied valuable cars of any make don't pull the money an original does.

True. Base models with bench seats also had the LX style handbrake, but again could be added/subtracted if need be. I'm sure there's plenty of other differences too.

#30 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 28 March 2009 - 03:51 PM

If you are ashamed of what your car started life as then you bought the wrong car.

There will always be people who care what is written on the tag and there will always be people who will take the piss out of sensitive owners.

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 28 March 2009 - 03:52 PM.

#31 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2009 - 04:57 PM

If you are ashamed of what your car started life as then you bought the wrong car.

There will always be people who care what is written on the tag and there will always be people who will take the piss out of sensitive owners.

yes they are wankers. and no not ashamed of having one very tough Torana :)

What pisses me off is the attitude of some and they spin they then give out trying to defend their piss poor attitude :)
And before any one asks, I am fine ty.

Cheers
Herne

#32 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 28 March 2009 - 05:32 PM

I think modified cars are like surgically enhanced breasts, most of us are just happy to have something nice to look at and couldnt care less what they were before. :D

#33 _rookie_

_rookie_
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2009 - 06:49 PM

I think modified cars are like surgically enhanced breasts, most of us are just happy to have something nice to look at and couldnt care less what they were before. :D

Hahahah, what if she once had a set of balls is that like having a torana that once was 1900cc :blink:

#34 Collo

Collo

( . Y . )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114,647 posts
  • Car:A Black POS

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:49 PM

Hahahah, what if she once had a set of balls is that like having a torana that once was 1900cc :blink:

Nah, thats the opposite.
Your giving it balls by replacing the 1900cc... :P

#35 _emmo1980_

_emmo1980_
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2009 - 12:14 AM

Nah, thats the opposite.
Your giving it balls by replacing the 1900cc... :P

if everyone replaces the 1900cc then one day sunbirds will be rarer then the L34 thereby making them more valuable you cant argue rarity over value lol thats going to piss a lot of people off hahahaha

p.s. id better stop drinkin.............

#36 _426_

_426_
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:37 PM

if everyone replaces the 1900cc then one day sunbirds will be rarer then the L34 thereby making them more valuable you cant argue rarity over value lol thats going to piss a lot of people off hahahaha

p.s. id better stop drinkin.............

Thats some funny shit right there my friend. I may have to hold onto the original 4 banger engine for my Sunbird.

Sadly rare doesn't always equal valuable. No-one wants a pov pack.

#37 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,327 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 June 2009 - 02:28 PM

Yeah that explains the ridiculous price of a PLUS-4

#38 _outer control_

_outer control_
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:55 AM

Herne?

A little out of character for you. Everything OK?

I have a good mate who has a caprice and i like to get him going by calling it a statesman

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users