476 replies to this topic

#101 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:50 AM

Very cool, I like the way you are going about getting the most out of your current setup, its a nice change from people who just chuck money at it and hope it will go better..

I couldnt see any detail on the engine spec, I assume its a conventional 23 deg chev? Or are the 18deg GM motorsport heads in your profile pic a clue..?

cheers,

Sam

#102 _HatchmanSS76_

_HatchmanSS76_
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:30 AM

Great read, love the detailed steps in the quest to squeeze the most out of the combo before making drastic changes. Also a great indicator of how important a good set of pipes matched to engine combo are. Takes me back to when I was serching for that better time every time out in mine. Sigh, distant memories.

Edited by HatchmanSS76, 27 October 2009 - 11:34 AM.

#103 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Name:Andrew or AJ
  • Car:UC Sedan

Posted 27 October 2009 - 06:55 PM

Very cool, I like the way you are going about getting the most out of your current setup, its a nice change from people who just chuck money at it and hope it will go better..

I couldnt see any detail on the engine spec, I assume its a conventional 23 deg chev? Or are the 18deg GM motorsport heads in your profile pic a clue..?

cheers,

Sam

Hi Sam,
the head in my avatar is a Phase 2 034 Bowtie 23 degree cast iron unit (Casting number 14011034), I have a professionally ported pair of them gathering dust in my ceiling space. I haven't got around to fitting them yet, still having too much fun with this combo.

I guess I haven't really put up the specs since starting on this build so here you go....

Its a 400 2 bolt block with ARP main studs and a factory steel 350 crank giving it a capacity of about 379 cubic inches with the 0.040" overbore. Rods are Eagle SIR, pistons are KB Hyper flat tops and I machined the heads down to give exactly 11.00:1 comp with zero deck height. Cam is a Lunati solid with 248/254 @ 050 on 106 LSA. Heads are ported Dart Sportsman II's with the supplied valves and springs. It has a mismatched set of Crane Energizer and YT roller rockers and an old Victor Junior. The carb currently on it is a 830 Annular Discharge Holley but it ran identical numbers with my Proform bodied 750 Vac but I keep loaning the vac out and the 830 owes me more $$ so I feel guilty not using it. Trans is a Powerglide with an Accelerator 4000rpm 9.5" stall convertor. The engine has been in my last 3 cars and hasn't had any real attention (I checked valve clearances once !) for the last 3 or 4 years. The only reason I am running a 377 is because my old 350 wore out and I needed to bore it and buy pistons. I had the 400 block under the bench and as the KB flat tops weighed about the same as my old TRW 350 forgies I just swapped the whole lot over into the bigger bore block using some bearing spacers, I didn't even balance it.

#104 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 07:45 PM

Hi Sam,
the head in my avatar is a Phase 2 034 Bowtie 23 degree cast iron unit (Casting number 14011034), I have a professionally ported pair of them gathering dust in my ceiling space. I haven't got around to fitting them yet, still having too much fun with this combo.

Ah yes, sorry I was thinking of the 10134363 - I really need to get some glasses... :)

Thats a pretty stout combo, looking forward to hearing more on how you develop it!

#105 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 08:10 AM

Last week I made up a carb isolation plate out of an old 14" air cleaner base, some sheet aluminium and some pinchweld. I also extended the bowl vent tubes to get them out of the air flow inside the scoop. Loaded it back on the trailer and took it to the track on Friday night.

First pass was a 11.01 at 122.7. As it was a ANDRA test and tune I was able to drop off the pipes at the collectors. The exhaust I was using was a dual 2 1/2" into a single 3 1/2" with a Hooker Aerochamber muffler. This pass felt sluggish off the line as if it really needed more stall speed. Stopped the clocks at 11.22 at 123.5. What this tells me is that the exhaust is costing some HP (about 8) but seems to help the poor extractors by producing more midrange torque (about 20 ftlbs !!). Disgusted I put the exhaust back on and ran another 11.0 at 122.5 MPH. 123.5 is enough MPH to run about a 10.8, highlighting the fact I really need more converter.

Thats enough racing for now, I'm going to fit some 3.25 gears and my methanol carb for the Burnout Warriors in 2 weeks time at Wakefield Park. After that I will look at doing something with the extractors and see what a difference that makes, then again I might swap the torque converter and see if I can push these pathetic pipes to a ten !!

#106 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 09:08 AM

As promised I fitted the 3.25 centre and $200 eBay methanol carb, drained the fuel and filled the tank with methanol. Loaded it up on the trailer, packed up Mum and the kids and headed off to the Burnout Warriors Motorfest at Wakefield Park.

It was a good day, very sunny and a little unorganized but everyone got as much track time as they wanted (including 77ChevLX in the newly aquired HB) and some cruising of the circuit to boot.

It took me a couple of goes to come to grips with the new car and its narrow rear track but I had a bit of fun. I somehow attracted the attention of some Grunt Files type TV crew (I think they were called Wheel Power TV and hope to broadcast on Channel 31 next year) and got interviewed and took the commentator on my third and last effort. Luckily I got it all together and gave him a fair old ride, demolishing a brand new pair of 205/65R15's. At the end of the day this was enough to take out the Tuff Street category winning a nice trophy and $500 cash.

Posted Image

Got the car home, drained the tank and refilled with PULP, ran it for a few minutes and swapped carbs back over. Next week I hope to swap the gears back to the race set and fit the new converter. I will then return to WSID for another meeting before changing the pipes and exhaust to something a bit better. I might give it a bit of a rest for a while as I am about ready to swap the 202 in my VH S/LE out for a HQ headed 304 short which I might post up as a project as well. It should be worth looking at.

#107 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2009 - 09:30 AM

Good stuff Andrew :) Great photo of the beast in action...

I see burnout Warriors has not changed then because the time I went to watch them they were totally disorganised and used dangerous practices...One photographer came very close to being wipe out...Not good for the sport if something like that happens. Plus they left a lot of tyre debris on the track between runs which was not good to see. I guess the more events Simbad runs the better the events will get.

Congratulations on the prize, cash awards come in handy ;)

Cheers
Herne

#108 _doogs_

_doogs_
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2009 - 09:57 AM

Sounds like a good day out. Looking forward to this new show they have in the works,
C31 have a few good car shows already.

#109 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,329 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 November 2009 - 11:02 AM

Looks like a lot of fun Struggler!

Can't go wrong with $500 cash prize, just make you even more keen to bring it out again lol

#110 _ChevLX_77_

_ChevLX_77_
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2009 - 05:08 PM

Unorginised or not s**t i had some fun Al, i know struggler did aswell Posted Image I wish i went in the cruise!!! but had to leave due to other commitments. It was worth the money though

By the way did you figure out who that TV mob were??? They have some footage i would like to see of my car

Edited by ChevLX_77, 20 November 2009 - 05:10 PM.

#111 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2009 - 05:11 PM

Unorginised or not s**t i had some fun Al, i know struggler did aswell Posted Image

By the way did you figure out who that TV mob were??? They have some footage i would like to see of my car

Damn sure you did Callum lol Its better when you are in the event than watching ;)

Herne

#112 _HRV74_

_HRV74_
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2009 - 05:22 PM

Great stuff Struggler, congrats on the trophy and the loot... :rockon:

Cheers, H

#113 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 06:49 PM

Good stuff Andrew :) Great photo of the beast in action...

I see burnout Warriors has not changed then because the time I went to watch them they were totally disorganised and used dangerous practices...One photographer came very close to being wipe out...Not good for the sport if something like that happens. Plus they left a lot of tyre debris on the track between runs which was not good to see. I guess the more events Simbad runs the better the events will get.

Congratulations on the prize, cash awards come in handy ;)

Cheers
Herne

Hi Alan, hope you had a great time in Tassie !!
Thanks for the kind words.
In all honesty that side of it was still the same (media a bit close to the action) but Simbad tries really hard to put on a good show and has taken note of the concerns. He said he had more than double the entries this year but only about 10 or 20 more spectators. Next time he promises to launch a media assault locally and really promote it.

Sounds like a good day out. Looking forward to this new show they have in the works,
C31 have a few good car shows already.

They do. These blokes looked pretty keen and promised to focus on the little guys rather than the outfits with large budgets. If it all goes ahead it should be worth watching.

Looks like a lot of fun Struggler!

Can't go wrong with $500 cash prize, just make you even more keen to bring it out again lol

When you sit down and work out how much the day costs in fuel, tyres, food etc it can really add up but it makes it all worthwhile to take something home for a change !!

Edited by Struggler, 20 November 2009 - 06:49 PM.

#114 _LJ355_

_LJ355_
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2009 - 06:50 PM

Looks like you had a ball mate hope to catch up with soon

#115 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 07:11 PM

Looks like you had a ball mate hope to catch up with soon

Thanks LJ, looking forward to it !!

Unorginised or not s**t i had some fun Al, i know struggler did as well Posted Image I wish i went in the cruise!!! but had to leave due to other commitments. It was worth the money though

Hi Callum, I wondered where you got to !! I'm not really sure who they were but will be catching up with Simbad this weekend and will find out (I am keen to get some video of my last run). Will let you know.

Great stuff Struggler, congrats on the trophy and the loot... :rockon:

Cheers, H

Thanks mate !!

#116 _YIH00N_

_YIH00N_
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2009 - 07:42 PM

love seeing the build pics and all the info andrew, you have made me really wanna get mine back up and running hope fully can get my dash finished off also!

could you tell me what would be a decent price for a set of slick or something good for the strip?

it was great to meet you last sunday and i thought it was a pretty good day all in all i didn't get home till 11pm that night it's a hell of a ride when you have to detour into canberra just to get home!

#117 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 07:54 PM

Hi YIHOON, good to see you back !!

A friend just let me know there is some video of BOWM3 on Youtube, here is a link to the first effort, as you can see I had a few problems keeping it on the straight and narrow !! It doesn't look too bad but the track definately fell away left to right.

The third burnout was the money run, haven't seen any footage of that one yet.

#118 _SLR Goat_

_SLR Goat_
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2009 - 07:28 PM

[quote name='Struggler' date='02 November 2009 - 08:10 AM' timestamp='1257113405' post='453769']
Last week I made up a carb isolation plate out of an old 14" air cleaner base, some sheet aluminium and some pinchweld. I also extended the bowl vent tubes to get them out of the air flow inside the scoop. Loaded it back on the trailer and took it to the track on Friday night.

First pass was a 11.01 at 122.7. As it was a ANDRA test and tune I was able to drop off the pipes at the collectors. The exhaust I was using was a dual 2 1/2" into a single 3 1/2" with a Hooker Aerochamber muffler. This pass felt sluggish off the line as if it really needed more stall speed. Stopped the clocks at 11.22 at 123.5. What this tells me is that the exhaust is costing some HP (about 8) but seems to help the poor extractors by producing more midrange torque (about 20 ftlbs !!). Disgusted I put the exhaust back on and ran another 11.0 at 122.5 MPH. 123.5 is enough MPH to run about a 10.8, highlighting the fact I really need more converter.

Thats enough racing for now, I'm going to fit some 3.25 gears and my methanol carb for the Burnout Warriors in 2 weeks time at Wakefield Park. After that I will look at doing something with the extractors and see what a difference that makes, then again I might swap the torque converter and see if I can push these pathetic pipes to a ten !!

Sounds like your having fun bet u are wishing u didnt sell those pipes i sold you ages ago

Edited by SLR Goat, 25 November 2009 - 07:28 PM.

#119 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 04:55 PM

I thought it was about time for an update......

I haven't really touched the car since November. Too much on with kids/Christmas etc. However I was lucky enough to score an invitation to the Ultimate Burnout Challenge http://www.tubc.com.au/ in March so I might leave the car with the burnout gears and converter for a while yet. I am hoping to get the front changed over to HQ pattern before then and fit some matching rims in 15x4. While doing this I may also lose the booster and make some changes to the brakes.

As an aside, the TV crew wandering the shows at the moment now have their website up and should be screening next month. http://powerwheelstv...au/homepage.htm

#120 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 08:50 PM

Well I changed the front to HQ pattern and got a pair of 15x4 Challengers to match the rears.

I ended up getting undrilled Torana discs and getting them drilled to HQ patt. and fitting 1/2" studs. I also got the calipers rebuilt and fitted a small bore master cylinder with no booster.

Attached File  UCdisc.JPG   134.63K   82 downloads

Attached File  UCbrake.JPG   133.96K   111 downloads

I now have the room to fit some exhaust through the inner guards and hopefully not scorch everything !

Anyway I got my act toghether and got down to the Ultimate Burnout Challenge. Unfortunately it did not end well. The engine developed a bearing issue and broke No. 5&6 conrods. This happened in an instant, one sec it was doing 6700 next, zero. The result was not really spectacular but nonetheless a bit devastating. You can see it all happen here....

That little thing you see roll out of the engine bay is actually my cam plug from the rear of the engine. It was knocked out when a rod broke the cam and pushed the last part of it backwards in the block. Anyway I dragged it home and pulled it apart.The block, crank, rods, pistons, sump and camshaft are all destroyed. The heads have a few bent valves but otherwise survived OK.

Attached File  P1020125.JPG   129.69K   141 downloads

Attached File  P1020126.JPG   111.89K   149 downloads

Attached File  P1020127.JPG   117.85K   158 downloads

As for the future ? Not really sure right now. I do have a collection of bits and pieces but not enough to build a complete engine. I'm still contemplating my next move but I did try this on for size before pulling the engine out......

Attached File  P1020123.JPG   142.12K   138 downloads

#121 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 22 March 2010 - 09:19 PM

Great burnout footage! Saw it on MCF, very impressive. Sorry to hear about the damage though, but heck, it looked like you had fun breaking it at least :)

PS. The blower gets a tick of approval from me :)

#122 _SLR Goat_

_SLR Goat_
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2010 - 09:22 PM

Ouch!! thats gotta suck interesting to see what you build next

#123 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:57 PM

Here are some other forum members at the Ultimate Burnout Challenge.....

MYLJ....

and LXV8.....

LXV8 took a place in the top 20 and both of them should be congratulated on their efforts :clap:

Edited by Struggler, 23 March 2010 - 07:58 PM.

#124 fatslr

fatslr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • Name:Garth
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:17 PM

Sad to see the damage to your engine but as said earlier looks like you had fun doing it :burnout:

Great footage of critta and LXV8 It makes me wonder about pursuit rims on torries after reading the thread about commodore wheels on HQ stud pattern?

Looks like they are ok to me if "clearanced" for HQ hubs i will be running them on my hatch for rego.

hope you can rebound from "bearing issue"

Garth

#125 Evan

Evan

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 March 2010 - 12:43 AM

Very impressive burnouts guys!!

You really destroyed that motor sturggler, but you did it in ultimate style!!

Will be certainly watching this space to see whats next.

Ev.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users