Photo

The Great L34 A9X debate

• Please log in to reply
582 replies to this topic

#101 _chrome yella_

_chrome yella_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:48 PM

Im no expert but this 1974 copy of sports car world says top speed is 202km/h (125Mph) at 4800 rpm at peak power point also says the SL/R & L34 both had identical best standing quarter mile times of 16 secs but they managed a 15.8 in the SL/R with a ex factory tune also the SL/R would reach 160km/h in 24 secs the L34 took 25.2 then it quoted the General has told the Truth

this article, is why some people beleive the L34 had poor performance.
has anyone asked Don Holland about this article, and if the cars were in full tune.
what was both cars final ratios?

as for standard air cleaners, what is the maximum horsepower that can be had from them.
is it by coincident the output of a standard 308.

what about some of the early american muscle cars fitted with simular aircleaners, rated at 350hp plus
did there hp ratings drop to that of a standard 308..... i dont think so

these articles were written in the wake of the supercar scare, people had to be very carefull what they printed
holden were in deep #hit if the L34 was deemed as a race car on the road
so through personal experience i chose not to believe the outcome of this article

#102 _outer control_

_outer control_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2009 - 02:58 PM

Oh if only the clock could be turned back. The is no way in hell a bog stock L34 engine as it left the factory floor made that sort of horsepower back in 1974 through that tiny little exhaust and aircleaner. My factory stroker VT doesn't make that much power but i bet it would flog a stock L34......

As i said before in the first thread watch my lips everyone Harry fooled the authorities in the day and obviously you too red

#103 unclefestal34s

unclefestal34s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:20 PM

this article, is why some people beleive the L34 had poor performance.
has anyone asked Don Holland about this article, and if the cars were in full tune.
what was both cars final ratios?

as for standard air cleaners, what is the maximum horsepower that can be had from them.
is it by coincident the output of a standard 308.

what about some of the early american muscle cars fitted with simular aircleaners, rated at 350hp plus
did there hp ratings drop to that of a standard 308..... i dont think so

these articles were written in the wake of the supercar scare, people had to be very carefull what they printed
holden were in deep #hit if the L34 was deemed as a race car on the road
so through personal experience i chose not to believe the outcome of this article

very well said,chrome yella ..from the outset i've based any argument or debate on personal experience..that's all

#104 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:29 PM

there seems to be a big difference to what people (older) know from experience to what the younger ones who only have the written word to go by....

#105 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:56 PM

Natural progression...
Top of the range LH - L34
Top of the Range LX - A9X
Top of the range UC - SLE
They all handle better than the previous model, but are slower! LOL

Yes the UC SL/E was slower, much slower !! It only had 4-cylinders.

The highest spec UC Torana was an 3.3 4-speed SL with a 'Deluxe' pack & the rear disc brake option. The UC SL/E was made as a Sunbird only. There was no UC Torana SL/E.

Also the term 'Track Pack' has cropped up a few times. This is a Chrysler term, they used it for their fully race-optioned Chargers in the early 70s. Sports Car World & other mags used it for the L34 High-Output Pack over the years & it stuck. But the correct name is just that - High Output Pack.

Dr Terry.

#106 LXM21

LXM21

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:34 PM

Wayne, maybe mate you should read back through your own threads and take note, then read back through what exactly I said, then take your foot out of your mouth! I thought YOU had more brains than that! This has become a personal witch hunt rather than a debate on the facts now. Please forgive me if I don't own god knows how many cars and can't afford to flog the living crap out of my car just to prove a petty point.

Well said Red, some people need to READ the facts that you have posted & actually take it all in before making attacks.

#107 _AquaSLR5000_

_AquaSLR5000_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2009 - 06:16 PM

What a waste of time, there is very little debate going on, why, because the argument can't and won't be one by any one. Some facts have been stated but most of whats written here is just cob wobble.
The A9X was built simply to improve the the flaws in the L34. The L34 was vulnerable and the A9X when fitted with the L34 type engine was not! Both cars are always going to be collectable, purely because people like them, Some people just love L34's, some people just love A9X hatchbacks, some people love A9X sedans, some people love SLR5000's with hubcaps. Most of you are debating about how good your own cars are (thats what it looks like anyway)

THE DEBATE CAN'T BE WON!!!!!!!!!!

How about this scenario,

I don't like LH Toarana paint schemes, I don't like hubcaps, I do like flares, I do like 2 door cars better than 4 door ones, I like A9X paint schemes, therfore an A9X hatchback must be way better than an L34. Thats a dumb and stupid comment, buts thats whats been written thru out the debate. Dribble dribble and more dribble.

Dickheads

#108 _Terrible One_

_Terrible One_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2009 - 07:32 PM

WHY CAN'T EVERYONE LOVE EACHOTHER?

We all know LJ's are much prettier anyway.

#109 _Pallbag_

_Pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2009 - 07:35 PM

Speaking of love, might go and see if the red wine i've inhailed will help me pull a root at the local RSL, seeyas !!

#110 _Terrible One_

_Terrible One_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2009 - 07:36 PM

You got a wheelchair ramp at home?

#111 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2009 - 07:52 PM

DICKHEADS???

Not very nice!

We're here for a bit of fun, are you?

REDTAXI should know we are just poking a bit of fun at him. (He knows us personally)

Childish, absolutely but here in lies the problem. Once apon a time, A9X members in the A9X club were a bunch of fun loving guys that had a great time poking a bit of fun at one another. It's always been the Aussie way.

But not anymore, as the prices went up the fun factor went the other way.
For christ's sake Micheal, drop the serious act and pay back a bit of sh!t.

None of this is serious and NO ONE should treat it as such.

Gee!!!

There is NO sunshine out there.

#112 _LXXXIV_

_LXXXIV_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:21 PM

Interesting point.

come to think of it the anger and resentment started about the time of the introduction of L34's into the club. All of a sudden a true race bred road production vehicle began to show the A9X up for what it really is.

A RACE REPLICA! :cry:

#113 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:25 PM

here we go again...like terribleone said...the LJ's are much prettier... and the first to win the great race... therefore the better car !

#114 _LXXXIV_

_LXXXIV_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:27 PM

here we go again...like terribleone said...the LJ's are much prettier... and the first to win the great race... therefore the better car !

that win was just an accident :blink:

Edited by LXXXIV, 03 April 2009 - 08:34 PM.

#115 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:42 PM

Speaking of love, might go and see if the red wine i've inhailed will help me pull a root at the local RSL, seeyas !!

Be sure to post pics of the rissole found root!

#116 _AquaSLR5000_

_AquaSLR5000_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:45 PM

Oh ok, fun.........doesn't look like some are having fun, pulling your hair out generally hurts.

Can somwone clarify the debate topic again, as I can't remeber? More collectable, More Valuable, or Better car or Faster car? Help

And I do take Dickheads back, SORRY, i was doing a Russel Ingall impersanation

Aqua

Edited by AquaSLR5000, 03 April 2009 - 08:46 PM.

#117 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:22 PM

Ha ha ha...Bark Bark Bark...;)

No actually I was not thinking along those lines.

Whilst the A9X association was setup purely for the A9X owners.

The A9X club encouraged/offered Associate membership since a long time ago, that included L34, XU1 owners and those with just an interest.

Of particular interest were the L34 owners who had no identity of their own as far as a group/club. The XU1 guys were well catered for through mass of numbers and their own national club.

Its hard to form a national club with such a minority (263 L34 cars). It was hard enough keeping the A9X club rolling with only 380 cars ever made and far fewer still original/around. Just how many real L34's are there left?

I have only met L34 owners who are nice guys who like to stir like above. I think it a great thing having them in the A9X club.

P.S. -Ever noticed how the HQ race cars start falling off the track after the first few laps due to brake fade. Same thing happens to L34's because the brakes are the same biscuit tins on the back.
;)

#118 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:25 PM

They never made a L34 Hatch but they did do a A9X ergo A9X is better cause Hatches rule nah nah nah nah

I would happy with either but really the I will always be a Hatch man

#119 _APL_

_APL_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:10 PM

Whilst the A9X association was setup purely for the A9X owners.

The A9X club encouraged/offered Associate membership since a long time ago, that included L34, XU1 owners and those with just an interest.

Of particular interest were the L34 owners who had no identity of their own as far as a group/club. The XU1 guys were well catered for through mass of numbers and their own national club.

Its hard to form a national club with such a minority (263 L34 cars). It was hard enough keeping the A9X club rolling with only 380 cars ever made and far fewer still original/around. Just how many real L34's are there left?

I have only met L34 owners who are nice guys who like to stir like above. I think it a great thing having them in the A9X club.

Darky

HTC loves everyone.......

Although I am still shitty about that getting tyres from the wheelbarrow department remark !!

APL

#120 Collo

Collo

( . Y . )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114,647 posts
  • Car:A Black POS

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:28 PM

Wheelbarrow tyres would just about fit a Hb wouldn't they? :P

Mine anyway...

#121 _Pallbag_

_Pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2009 - 11:19 PM

Be sure to post pics of the rissole found root!

Did Ok, but seeing she's so old, I have to wait for the film to come back from the developers before I can post ... Maybe I'll have a slide night and you can all come around for a look and some supper afterwards !!

#122 _Terrible One_

_Terrible One_
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2009 - 12:31 AM

Sounds good...only get better with age!

On a slightly more serious note, I thought we were all members here because we are TORANA ENTHUSIASTS. Not a bunch of sandy crack cry babies. We all have nice machines, a piece of Aussie history. I never realised there was such an A9X/L34 dilly of a pickle brewing but whatever, I'm drunk on Extra Dry tallies and right now David Letterman is on and easily more coherent than anything I can read in here.

Why am I in the LH/LX forum anyway?

Go me.

#123 _outer control_

_outer control_
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2009 - 12:43 AM

Well said Red, some people need to READ the facts that you have posted & actually take it all in before making attacks.

Reading a mag or article is what some people base all there knowledge on ,but have never experienced the facts for themselves.These educated experts were still in there dads scrotum when we were driving these cars around.Ask the president of the ferrari club in england what a standard L34 goes like in the classic adelaide.When the flag drops the bullshit stops.As for the facts you talk about, the press were fed what they wanted them to believe. :blink:

#124 _Pallbag_

_Pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2009 - 12:55 AM

So what you are saying is a ferrari is faster than an L34?

#125 _outer control_

_outer control_
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2009 - 01:00 AM

[quote name='slr_v8' date='Apr 3 2009, 11:28 PM' post='385488']
Wheelbarrow tyres would just about fit a Hb wouldn't they? :P

Bunnings have the best prices t have found guys,thats were i got the ones for my TA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users