Should I Do Black Outs Windows

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 _SIR383_

_SIR383_
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2006 - 08:41 PM

Hi all, i have not posted for awhile as I have not had a lot of progress to report on the rebuilding of my LX Hatch. I have now started getting stuck back into the car but need help on deciding on wether or not to paint the black outs around the windows and B-pillar vent on my hatch or to paint them the same colour as the car.

See picture below for the colour i have gone with, the car is also going to have all of the chrome strips around the windows.

Cheers
Casey

Posted Image

#2 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 08:58 PM

My advice is that if you are using the chrome trims then you need to paint black within the chrome trims.
If you want to keep everything the same colour dont use the chrome trims.

#3 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 March 2006 - 09:01 PM

On lighter cars they are necessary, on medium-dark cars they aren't necessarily.

If I were you I'd go blackouts, but that's just my personal opinion. Yours is a pretty mid-range colour so it would look fine either way. Just not sure whether you'd be painting the B-Pillar vent body colour or black if you had no blackouts? That might not look fantastic.

#4 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2006 - 07:52 AM

Have a look at Herne's website. He has pictures there of before and after with the blackouts. Personally, I'd go the blackouts, it's so Toranaish.

#5 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2006 - 08:46 AM

I cannot remember if I have left any of the old photo's on my website but I can email you (sir 383) some before and after photo's if thats of any help. (pm me your email if you want this)

I naturally agree with many others here who knew the car before and after window blackouts that it is much better now.

Cheers
Herne

#6 _TORANR AMORE_

_TORANR AMORE_
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2006 - 10:01 AM

Do the blackout's

#7 _SIR383_

_SIR383_
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2006 - 05:12 PM

Looks like the blackouts are the way to go.

I was more leanign that way, i just thought it would be worth while checking with others :)

Herne PM sent

#8 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2006 - 05:56 PM

The photo's are uploading to you now.

Cheers

Herne

#9 _GSTRNG_

_GSTRNG_
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2006 - 04:14 PM

If u r deciding 2 put all chrome mouldings back onto the car then painting the blackouts in my opinion would not be a good idea. Basically because of the blue metallic u have chosen to paint the car, a solid colour blackout with the chrome would look a little too much, and a touch tacky. I think your best bet with chrome mouldings would be to keep the car the 1 colour.

#10 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2006 - 07:41 PM

blackouts blackouts...

#11 _SIR383_

_SIR383_
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2006 - 07:49 PM

If u r deciding 2 put all chrome mouldings back onto the car then painting the blackouts in my opinion would not be a good idea. Basically because of the blue metallic u have chosen to paint the car, a solid colour blackout with the chrome would look a little too much, and a touch tacky. I think your best bet with chrome mouldings would be to keep the car the 1 colour.

I get what your saying, maybe i could go for a metallic black paint, like they uses for the new commodores

On the other habd i jsut saw some pictures of BLOWN V6HATCH he has a lighter shade of blue with no blackouts and it looks very nice.

Posted Image

#12 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 22 March 2006 - 08:14 PM

this one from our club site very similar colour
Posted Image