- - - - -

16 years in garage

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 _sgh_

_sgh_
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2006 - 04:35 PM

Hi I've just joined. I'm trying to find enthusiasm to finish off this hatchback. Been sitting in the garage for around 16 years. It was resprayed in 2-pac before that. Since then the interior has been half re-upholstered. I bought a dizzy off ebay and a carby. Since both had been leant to friends and never returned. She has a few humidity blisters now on the bonnet. It is a 5 litre ss 4 speed, mandarine red with 106 000 on the clock. It looks so nice when I bring it out of the garage and wash it, but most of the time its just covered in dust.

#2 to fly

to fly

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 04:47 PM

Gday and WELCOME!!!, that sounds like a great restore in the making. The 308 SS are climbing in both value and rarity. Any pics avail ? good luck with it and this forum is a great resource for both parts and advice, so dont be scared to fire in a few questions, when in doubt.

#3 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,320 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 March 2006 - 05:07 PM

Mmmm i'm very interested in seeing some more info and photos on this vehicle. If you need a hand hosting the pictures, e-mail them to Hezath$gmail.com

#4 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 15 March 2006 - 05:30 PM

hmmm Sounds really nice! Cant wait to see some pics of it! Where abouts are you from? Will help us give better advice and feedback!

#5 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 05:54 PM

Welcome! If you carnt find enthusiasim on this site to finish it then i can at least guarantee there would be plenty of entusiastic folk willing to take it off your hands :D

Edited by Toranavista, 15 March 2006 - 05:54 PM.

#6 _sgh_

_sgh_
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 08:49 AM

Thanks for the welcome, I'll have to take some new pics and post them, the ones I have were taken with an older camera and aren't very good. How do I post them when I take them, as I don't have a website? The best one I have is the one I use as an avatar.

#7 _Leakey_

_Leakey_
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 09:04 AM

Just go to PHOTOBUCKET.com

Under each of your pics are 3 file types.
Easiest way is to highlight the IMG file, click and COPY

Then come back to the forum and simply PASTE the link
in to your thread.

See how you go, do a test.

Cheers, Leakey

PS - from the avatar she looks really stock. Niiiiiice!!!!

#8 _sgh_

_sgh_
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 09:16 AM

Thanks, I'll give it a go when I take some nice ones. She is totally standard, I've got the original wheels, but only got 3 hubcaps. Do extractors detract from being original? She has a two piece front spoiler on at the moment, but I have the original one there, just needs a little bit of work. The front passenger seat and the rear seats have been re-upholstered. I still have to get the drivers seat done. She has a hatch hutch but it's not an original one, someone made it I think.

#9 _sgh_

_sgh_
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 11:44 AM

Just uploaded some old pics to photobucket. search 4 shollinworth.

#10 J-Rod

J-Rod

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 12:24 PM

https://cache.gmh-to...6/shollinworth/

looks like a top project

cheers

#11 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 12:29 PM

Very nice example. :spoton:

#12 _Leakey_

_Leakey_
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 01:45 PM

Great looking car!

Very straight, and by the look of it, not much, if any rust.

She sits really nicely. Are they 14" rims? Stock springs?

The front spoiler you have looks like the narrower SS style,
but it is a 2 piece you say? - and the original in the garage.....

Where did you get the 2 piece from if you dont mind me asking,
I am looking for a new front spoiler, but have only been able
to find the deeper SLR types.

- any spoiler donations welcome by the way....busted, cracked,
scraped, anything in the SS type. Even bits. LOL

- Leakey

#13 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 01:56 PM

Nice to see its out of the shed, certainly looks like a fine example!

Looking forward to seeing how you go with the resto.... :)

#14 _EXLXSL_

_EXLXSL_
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 05:31 PM

Better say welcome to another 2 door SS. You have air con? Sure someone will be asking some questions about that.

Heaps better nick than mine - I've got too many rust spots - and not enough money - with the full chop job. The worst is a sunroof but it was all done before I bought it - did get it cheap though.

Just look around here and you should get an idea on what you have. Untouched hatches are getting thin on the ground.

#15 _sgh_

_sgh_
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 06:21 PM

It does have an after market air conditioning but it is fully intergrated. It came standard from the factory with HQ style calipers and HQ style rear drums which really tricked us years ago when we went to buy brake shoes for the rear and pads for the front. The two piece front spoiler was bought years ago and I wouldn't have a clue where from. The wheels are 13 cheviot turbo mags with 225 on the rear and 215 on the front. Has standard springs all round, with pedders in the front and monroe air adjustables on the rear, but still got original rear shocks in the shed.

#16 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 08:02 PM

Good to to see that there are some original hatches still around.That aircon compressor looks like a monster.

#17 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 09:10 PM

It came standard from the factory with HQ style calipers and HQ style rear drums which really tricked us years ago when we went to buy brake shoes for the rear and pads for the front. The two piece front spoiler was bought years ago and I wouldn't have a clue where from. The wheels are 13 cheviot turbo mags with 225 on the rear and 215 on the front.

Interesting brake, tyre and wheel combo? Have never seen HQ brakes from factory on SS? Have also never seen 13" rims in HQ pattern? Any more info to add?

#18 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 09:48 PM

Certainly not a factory thing, and if it had HQ brakes, they wouldn't fit under the 13" rims too well. Looks like a nnice project

#19 CI 0308

CI 0308

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:77 LX SS, VX SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 March 2006 - 10:04 PM

gees its refreshing to hear there are still some good examples still around hidden in sheds, welcome to the forum SGH, you have a fine starting point for a resto, good colour and M21, L31 are bloody hard to find these days.

#20 _sgh_

_sgh_
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2006 - 04:09 PM

Sorry I meant to say the rear brake drums are the same width as a HQ, HZ that take the wider linings but still uses the same torana stud pattern. The front calipers are the same as a HQ-HZ using db6 pads but smaller diameter disc rotor and standard torana stud pattern. The air con compressor is absolutely huge, it's a piston type, instead of a rotary type.

#21 _sgh_

_sgh_
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2006 - 04:30 PM

I mean db14 not 6's instead of db1028

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users