Evan

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 March 2006 - 10:19 PM

Heya!!!

Getting my boarg warner diff modified to suit the torry, its and LSD but found out its floged out. you hav to expect it, as most v8 holden drivers give their cars a hard time.
Its gonna cost another 900 bucks to get it rebuilt. :( NOT HAPPY JAN!!

anyhows went for the locker option as it was only 500 bucks fully rebuilt and put back togeather ready to go, and i get my LSD centre back. Im hard on the diffs and just think its gonna cost me more when i screw it up just like the bloke before did.

i know ittle go good down the drags but arround the race track pple say that its gonna make me under steer and handle like a dog? is this true??

the other options were a diff that lock
s on and off , cant remember what it was called , aparantly the v8 super cars use it. It was 1900 bucks so i didnt take any notice.

there was another option that was 1300 bucks , and it was sumthing similar. but this diff is getting blown out of budget as it is.

what do u guys think ???

Thanks guys
Evan....

#2 Litre8

Litre8

Thrillseeker

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts
  • Name:Howard
  • Car:1976 LX SLR8000

Posted 15 March 2006 - 10:58 PM

A locker does give you on/off throttle understeer/oversteer through a corner, an incentive to be smooth on the throttle. A spool is permanently locked, no differential action at all. V8 Supercars use this along with a full floater, adjustable -ve camber rear end. The spool is the cheap part but they are illegal for the street and can lead to broken axles (unless using Hy-Tuff etc.).

The Torsen gear style diffs apparently have the smoothest action, providing very smooth transition from on/off throttle while still providing full differential action. Not cheap.

#3 Evan

Evan

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 March 2006 - 10:13 AM

thanks litre8 for that,.
i get it back soon and ill put it in and have a go and c if i like it.
hopfully its not to unpredictable and wild for me.

Evan...

#4 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 11:05 AM

We are welding our's up, but that's a dedicated track car, will never be registered.

#5 _QIKSLR_

_QIKSLR_
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 11:59 AM

We are welding our's up, but that's a dedicated track car, will never be registered.

if its a banjo it wont get far... All my mates have done this before we went to 9"s.

#6 _draglc_

_draglc_
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 08:52 PM

how long do you think a welded 3.55 banjo would last? i plan to put it in before i take the lc out to morgan park for the muscle car shootout.. should i take spare axles with me? would it be ok to drive there, race, and drive back from brisbane?

A1

#7 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 09:07 PM

Course spline axles: Start the stop watch.
Fine spline axles: How hard will you be trying?

#8 _high_rpm_

_high_rpm_
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2006 - 11:21 AM

if you weld the fu<ker right the center will last for ever mine has plates inside it and what not with very high quility welds i would take 2 axles with you thats all ill probebly take to gazzanats this year as ill run out of tyres before i run out of axles :P

#9 mrlctorana

mrlctorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 01:14 PM

i take spare axles with me? would it be ok to drive there, race, and drive back from brisbane?

Hell NO, Definately take spare axels, and even with spares axel you mightn't get home. I've alway had welded diffs and now gone to a nine inch finally as axels are getting rare here in tassie. When you break an axel sometimes the bit that gets stuck in the diff is very brittle and when you try to tap it out it shatters therefore you have 5 million little bit of axels floating around in your diff which will end up stuffing the center. Otherwise you have to pull the diff center out tap the axel out and then put it back in, but when you do it this way the other axel breaks soon after anyway.

If you've got a bit of power which you have and a welded diff, you would be very game to drive somewhere, race, and drive home, Unless you take a spare center and a few axels. I got sick of doing this so went all out and got the 9 inch, cost me $1800 all up for housing, 31 spline axels and 3.7 ratio reconditioned center with a minispool.

Cheers

Les

#10 _high_rpm_

_high_rpm_
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2006 - 04:38 PM

wish i had the money for a 9 inch :(

#11 _high_rpm_

_high_rpm_
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2006 - 04:54 PM

3.55 locked <<< click click welded up 3.55

#12 _QIKSLR_

_QIKSLR_
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2006 - 05:47 PM

You don't need spare axels, you need a spare welded center. As piss weak as torana axels are, we found that the welds hold up, but instead it snaps the spider gears in half, even before it has time to snap an axel. You can get mini spools for them but you need an LSD housing. Then thats when you start breaking axels.

#13 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 06:13 PM

Or get a 9", 10 bolt or 12 bolt and call it a day.

#14 _brett_32i_

_brett_32i_
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2006 - 07:32 PM

Heya!!!

anyhows went for the locker option as it was only 500 bucks fully rebuilt and put back togeather ready to go, and i get my LSD centre back.

you didnt get a locker, you got a mini spool.

the locker i think is about $600 supply only.

spools are great. no drama when you get used them. far safer than a single spinner or worn lsd!! (no bullshit either)

#15 Evan

Evan

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 March 2006 - 10:21 PM

yer!!, thats it brett, leat ya know what its gonna do.
whas the difference between a spool , a mini spool and a locker??
thanks guys!!!

#16 shanegtr

shanegtr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Name:Shane
  • Car:LJ 2 door
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 March 2006 - 11:50 PM

Full spools and mini spools do the same thing - lock the axles together so they cant spin independantly of each other. A mini spool replaces just the spider gears, but a full spool replaces the entire hemishere and is also stronger and lighter.

#17 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2006 - 06:59 PM

a mini spool you just replace the spyder gears with a locked jigger, full spool you replace the lot with a solid machined billet spindle, a locker is a device that comes on and off when you take the power on and off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users