Removing cooling pipes from LJ Trimatic Auto

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 _Mildman_

_Mildman_
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2009 - 05:21 PM

Hey guys long time no post....the Torana has been too reliable.

I have to replace the cooling pipes on the boy's LJ (as one of them was broken when removing the radiator)....but that's another story.

We climbed under the car today to remove them, and notice the one towards the rear of the car has absolutely no room to turn the pipe spanner!

I was thinking I might be able to get away with it by just dropping the auto crossmember...but having never deal with autos am not sure if this is a good idea...thought it might break something and not sure if the engine mounts could take it.

Does anyone have a good technique for removing these pipes with the engine still in the car?

Or what do I need to look out for when I just want to drop the auto without pulling it off the engine?

Look forward to some bright ideas!

Ben / Mildman (on behalf of Lockrice)

#2 _WYLDLC6_

_WYLDLC6_
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2009 - 05:53 PM

Hey mate, undo crossmember and use a jack to gently lower the auto down and support the weight with the jack, it'll be fine.

Cheers Chris.

#3 _Mildman_

_Mildman_
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2009 - 07:29 PM

Hey mate, undo crossmember and use a jack to gently lower the auto down and support the weight with the jack, it'll be fine.

Cheers Chris.

Cool - I thought I would be, the only thing that looks dicey is the kick down mechanical linkage - will that tolerate the auto getting dropped down?

#4 _Mildman_

_Mildman_
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2009 - 12:55 PM

Anyone else dropped the auto (without disconnecting anything at all)

Still not convinced about this kick down linkage...I'll be under it again next weekend - but if anyone has got some experience to dole out before then I'm all ears

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users