202 Engine oil

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#26 _mello92_

_mello92_
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2009 - 04:27 PM

Cheers torbirdie.
I was thinking the same about the flush, just wanted to see what other people thought. In regards to the underside of the rocker cover, mine has just 2 holes, 1 for the PCV valve and the other is a breather, cant get my finger under there cause there is a plate to stop oil flying up into the breather.
Posted Image

With the oil, I've already gone and bought Edge 25W-50 and hope to change it this weekend. As for winter in North QLD, the coldest we would get would be 12-14 degrees, and only for a few days. Rest of the time is bloody hot. As your have already read, the previous owner was using Course Plus - a 25W-60, too thick IMO.
Will let you know how it goes after the change.

#27 _mello92_

_mello92_
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:34 PM

Edge 25W-50 in. oil pressure seems to be better when cold. the old filter was at least 250g more than the new one, plus the old oil was really really black. the long run did it good after all.
Cheers

#28 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,974 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 08 May 2009 - 11:56 PM

Wouldnt be too worried about the difference in weights of the filters.
The old one would have a lot of oil soaked into the filter media which wont drain out. It will be heavier.

Its interesting to see the oil that some others are using too.

One thing I picked up off another forum was the number of people who were having sludge build up issues with an oil that a lot here seem to use. Even in cars that have regular oil changes. One particularly respected workshop showed pics, but obviously wouldnt give brand names for legal reasons. He even goes so far as to not recommend any particular brand of oil on the forum. He does however have Mobil sign writing around his workshop.

Personally I have been using Nulon for the past 2 years in cars and bike and am happy with it. It rated extremely well in an oil comparison in a mag a while back.

I dont think you will have any dramas with your choice.

#29 _FCCOOL_

_FCCOOL_
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2009 - 08:50 PM

ive heard you should never use shell helix
ive heard castrol glazes your bores.
ive heard valvaline is recycled crap.
ive heard valvaline can go creamy.
ive heard synthetics can gunk up much quicker than mineral oil
ive heard all the new oils now will kill your cam and lifters.
ive heard home brand, black & gold , no frills oil with minimal addatives is best for running in your motor.
i think holden recomends castrol XL wich is the cheaper more basic oil than GTX and GTX 2

over the years ive used hpr60, GP50, STP 50plus.

i now have valvaline running in oil in my FC, I think its a 30w monograde with no anti friction addatives.

I have hpr 60 in my ford LTD, i have 25 50 castrol edge in my wifes 5.0L vp calais and hpr 60 in the grey motor in my boat.

my wifes calais had major sludge to the point the engine was getting pretty noisy, I drained it and ran some cheap gulf western oil from supercheap with a cheap filter i picked up for $3 , i gave it a thrashing around the block then added a oil flush addative and let it idle for a while then drained it again, ripped of the cheap filter, let it sit for a couple of hours then fitted a good filter and castrol edge 25 50.
since then not only has the car been quite but he oil is lasting longer and after 5 months its still a clear clean honey colour, i used to use gp50 in the FC but from now on i might use the edge.

#30 _gtrtorana_

_gtrtorana_
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2009 - 09:11 PM

i used to use gp50 in the FC but from now on i might use the edge.

The original Castrol GP50 turned onto Castrol formula R which then turned into Castrol Edge. I use Edge 25w-50 in my 202 as I don't like synthetic and have had no issues. I believe that oil is just a personal thing. I have always used Castrol in all my toys and had no issues so I have no reason to switch.

#31 _FCCOOL_

_FCCOOL_
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2009 - 10:46 PM

The original Castrol GP50 turned onto Castrol formula R which then turned into Castrol Edge. I use Edge 25w-50 in my 202 as I don't like synthetic and have had no issues. I believe that oil is just a personal thing. I have always used Castrol in all my toys and had no issues so I have no reason to switch.

GP50 cant be to bad, my motor looked perfect inside after years of gp50, bores & bearing almost looked new, ive heard bad stuff about castrol but from what ive seen its pretty good.

#32 _bon_scott_

_bon_scott_
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2009 - 01:50 AM

Dad uses castrol gtx and gtx2 in his kingswood with a 100,000km 186, haven't had any issues. I used gtx2 in a 130,000km 173 and as the first few fills on my 202 before switching to hpr30. Since switching to penrite it's seemed to use a shitload of oil, but I think its more related to the motor than the oil. With that said when I do it again I'll probably go back to castrol products.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users