whats ur top speed??

• Please log in to reply
265 replies to this topic

#226 _user asked to be removed_

_user asked to be removed_
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2006 - 03:17 PM

I think this is getting silly, it looks like everyone is going over the same thing over and over again, seriously, what are we trying to achieve here, do you just want Tim to say your right or something, this topic is getting boring, it has nothing to do with posting your top speed!

#227 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 23 June 2006 - 04:03 PM

Liam, Thats cause everyone HAS.. what this topic seems to be now is the older and more experiences and skileld guys giving some pretty valuable insights into what seems to be happening on our roads.

After driving past the written off 200SX in which the dirver died and the passenger was hospitalised and since unknown condition I'm open to hearing anything. Pretty sobering sight at 3Am on a sunday morning after working all night to KNOW that someone has just died not 5 M from wehre you are driving.

If even one person takes some information or a thought away from this topic and changes their bad habits.. then its worth it. all 16 pages of it.

#228 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 08:40 PM

off the clock in my LJ Worked 202 wiht an Opel 4 speed box, and tripples.

Now that thats out of the way im gunna have a blurb about whats ben said so far. I being a P plater and having all my mates on their Ps can say that yes all of em think they can drive and no sweet fark all of them can. i've been driving cars since i was about 10 and racing go-karts since bout 7 or 8 and spedway for bout 4 years. I dont claim im the greatest driver on the planet but ive had a few encounters with wet roads and aquaplaning cars/locked up brakes, now my skills from my experience was the one thing that enabled me to know what to do, and be able to steer out of trouble and probably save my life on more then one occasion. I have mates who do 160 in their little jap shitboxes and try to take corners at warp sped (one almost killed himself and 4 of my mates while on the down south) Each of these people wern't what you would call "car people" and had no real ambitions to drive quick.... until they saw me racing or (dont tell my teachers) stupidly doin burnouts outa the skool carpark to show off to all the girls. Movies like fast and the furios and all the reat dont help much either.

After all that rant, one more thing, They keep saying that young people represent such a small portion of liscence holders but such a larger portion of deaths in accident, but the fact is it NEVER says that a young person was driving in that percentage of crashes, only that they died. think of it this way, someone with 4 kids on holidays, a whole family dies (assuming a 7 seater veichle 4 kids plus 2 parents) That means that 4 kids could be 20-15 or older and you get a 2:1 ratio of deths, couldnt this be a misrepresentation in the stats.

#229 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2006 - 03:33 PM

I�m often amazed when drivers claim that they were driving safely for the conditions, when they don�t even know the most fundamental basics of their own and their vehicles performance, especially after whining about getting a speeding fine.
Here�s a challenge/homework exercise for our younger guys(possibly older too):rim010+others
State a reasonable stopping dist for a drum braked LJ from 90mph on a dirt surface that could be achieved without the vehicle losing directional control, include driver reaction time for an unexpected event in your figure. I know you read the forums everyday and you�re prob on hols now, lets see what you can come up with in 24hours.

Hmm, no one has been bothered to do their homework, they have all had time to make plenty of posts on the "new p plater laws" and how there rights have been violated by not being able to drive v8s etc, but..........
do any of them want to find out a basic fact about motoring that would be conducive to being a good driver, like the stopping performance of the vehicles and other vehicles they may be driving?, obviously no....what else is there one can say?

#230 _pallbag_

_pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2006 - 03:37 PM

Mmmmm stopping on dirt ... I reckon a 100yo gum tree could stop them fairly easily!!!

#231 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2006 - 03:52 PM

Devils not everything is as black and white as you see it mate.. Knowing if a car can stop in a certain distance dosnt do nuthing, in black and white it might make sence and all the figures might even add up but in real life its a totaly different ball game..

On your challenge, theres wat too many variables to even pretend to work out a figure, eg condition of brakes, type of dirt surface, type of tyres, and experiance of the driver to the actual car in question... Figures dont meen crap....

John

#232 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2006 - 03:59 PM

Why dont you state your own conditions John, if you believe it could make huge differences and come up with some figure that would be useable, rather than hiding behind the "too many variables" excuse, if someone could quote a distance within 50m that would be great. Surely having a ball park idea of how long it takes a car to stop from various speeds on different surfaces would be invaluable in being able to decide whether a certain speed was appropriate as well as all the "experience" one may gather.
Unfortunately in "real" life the majority of people grossly underestimate the stopping dist required for their vehicle, this is where knowing the cold hard facts can only be an advantage.

Edited by devilsadvocate, 24 June 2006 - 04:08 PM.

#233 _pallbag_

_pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2006 - 04:09 PM

Would you have to say whether it was clay, dirt, gravel, farm, sandy, forestry road, just a dirt road, nice smooth dirt, pot holey, corrugated, just graded, in need of a grade, like a freshly ploughed paddock, 4 wheel drive only type road ... Gee thers a few variables.

Edited by pallbag, 24 June 2006 - 04:10 PM.

#234 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,322 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 June 2006 - 04:17 PM

What is this exercise going to achieve anyway. Why would he have to stop in a hurry? If a Kangaroo comes out, you avoid it. If a car wants to hit you head on, you hit it. If a broken down car wants your assistance, you finish having fun, turn it around and come back to help.

No doubt he would have driven along the road then sped up on the way back, or on the second or third drive on that stretch for the morning/day.

So you can't say "someone may have built a brick wall across the road and he wouldn't have noticed it." or some other ridiculous excuse.

#235 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2006 - 04:19 PM

Pick any one, quote it and come up with some sort of answer, or if it makes it easier Ill do that for you:

Graded gravel: since the car was able to do 150kmh without becoming airbourne!Assume coefficent of sliding friction between tyres and gravel to be 0.35(that was part of the hw, finding a fig for the friction on gravel)
Brakes: as good as left the factory.
Tyres: 175/65/13's, good tread
Driver: ability to not lock up wheels(since directional stability is maintained as stated previously) 1.5 sec reaction time in seeing hazard and hitting brake pedal(this sounds a long time...but is typical of a highway incident)

Heath: what is the point? to make people like yourself have a greater awareness of the dynamics of a vehicle.......usually it makes them less cocky about how safe it is to speed.

Edited by devilsadvocate, 24 June 2006 - 04:23 PM.

#236 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 June 2006 - 04:53 PM

Heath

If a Kangaroo comes out, you avoid it.

If someone swerved around a kangaroo at 160 they would probably be worse off than if they hit it...

what else is there one can say?

one could just shut up and leave us alone.

RIM

#237 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 24 June 2006 - 05:18 PM

I'm sorry devils, I see the point your TRYING to make but in all honesty its a compelte waste of time.

The cold hard facts are we all learn really fast what the car can and cant do, and how long it takes to do it in varying conditions by actually doing it. The smart ones creap up to the edge of the envelope and when they find it theyre ready for it... they live...
THe dumb ones charge past the edge of the envelope at WOT and theyre usually the ones that dont live. I just hope they dont take innocent people with them.

Simple as that really.

We need to EDUCATE ALL DRIVERS ( not only the young... alot of the oldies need a refresher or to be actually taught correctly not just to pass a damn test like has been going on for years).
We need to educate them not only on driving skills like skid control and accident avoidance, but on forethought and anticipation skills, decision making skills and also vehicle maintenance skills. OH.. i think thats all called Roadcraft.

Anyway. Enough of the theorising i think everyone know's right from wrong I just want to say one more thing.

A drivers licence is a PRIVELIDGE not a RIGHT. You should EARN it.. not buy one.

Cheers

#238 tinkers

tinkers

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts
  • Name:Kerri
  • Car:LX Hatch & VX Clubsport & VS Ute

Posted 24 June 2006 - 05:22 PM

one could just shut up and leave us alone.

RIM

Would you say the same thing to a cop? :rolleyes:

#239 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2006 - 06:30 PM

Devils it would be a real good thing if a young cocky new driver read a book on stats and actualy lernt from it... But in reality they would read the first few lines and piff the book to were it will never be seen again...

I was a cocky driver when i started, i only lernt the hardway, lucky it wasnt to hard, i lost controll in the wet and smashed an axle in my gemini... I was doing over 140 on high street epping and tried to turn down the next side street i saw.. I relised i couldnt slow down enough and slid strait into a gutter.. Lucky it stoped there and didnt take my life..

Trial and error, unfortunatly in this case driving can cause a big major error..

John

Edited by TORANASS, 24 June 2006 - 06:32 PM.

#240 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2006 - 06:32 PM

I just hope they dont take innocent people with them.

Thats what's its all about boys, especially if someone loses control and slams into a car with a family member of mine in it......we care about you boys too.

The cold hard facts are we all learn really fast what the car can and cant do, and how long it takes to do it in varying conditions by actually doing it. The smart ones creap up to the edge of the envelope and when they find it theyre ready for it... they live...

Well, that use to be the way, but we've got all sorts of technology(driving simulators, computer simulations etc) and education to that can give in some instances a better alternative to the school of hard knocks approach.
An answer to the hw: a quick google search for "stopping distance simulation", took me to stopping dist
Enter the data v=150kmh, f=0.35 hit return after each entry.
Run simulation, stopping dist = 253m + 61m(reaction dist) = 314m
So its only a simulation,(but soundly based on Newton's laws of motion) it assumes no brake fade nor does it take into consideration the retarding effect of the air, and assumes maximum braking that is capable on that surface being maintained throughout stop, so the above is a "best" figure, in practice it would only be a larger distance.

Here's another sobering question, "as he comes over a slight rise at 150kmh Johhny spots his sister in the middle of the road on her bike 200m down the road, if he brakes within 1 sec, at what speed will he hit her".

Im sorry ive had to force feed you this stuff, rather than it be a self discovery exercise, but if I can change the behaviour/attitudes of just one person, then the "fight" will have been worth it
Go(but slower please) in peace young men

Edited by devilsadvocate, 24 June 2006 - 06:33 PM.

#241 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,322 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 June 2006 - 07:00 PM

Which direction is she travelling in at what speed?

Actually, it doesn't affect me. I respect you as someone with a wealth of knowledge on different aspects of cars where most people don't know anything about, so I don't want to get in an argument with you about it.

I do not wish to try and be a smartarse in this thread any more. What I do want to say is that I am not under the impression that driving far over the limit is safe. But that isn't my main concern (And I'm not a wreckless person).

Going to Heathcote or Winton and testing the limits of my car is quite simply as dangerous (This has absolutely nothing to do with emergency crews being on stand by), because you are still risking your life and your Pride and Joy

Like I always say to my mum when she's talking about danger and whatever else. I'm not a dangerous person, but I want to live. Every day of life has risks and you try and minimize those risks to a level that you feel comfortable in. I'm not a maniac on the road but I don't mind a nice squirt here and there when I am driving.

If you're questioning my ability or legality to drive, i'm a month away from my L's, so yes I break the law. To sort-of abide by the Government's restrictions, I am always supervised by a liscenced driver and indicate to other road users and pedestrians that I am unliscenced by displaying 'L' Plates.

Everyone in this thread have only been trying to encourage safety, but I think I desserve the luxury of learning from my mistakes, a luxury that all of you were given in your adolescence.

#242 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2006 - 07:47 PM

Ok Heath ,, time to spill the beans mate

WHO WROTE THAT?

If that was your words all i have to say is WELL FUKN SAID..

John

Edited by TORANASS, 24 June 2006 - 07:48 PM.

#243 _micksgtr_

_micksgtr_
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2006 - 08:10 PM

mate of mine has a 911 with with a sbc 383....did 290 on a runway.............

#244 _pallbag_

_pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2006 - 06:48 AM

Thanks for getting back to the main point of this thread micksgtr !!

#245 _82911_

_82911_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2006 - 04:20 PM

In case it got lost in all my waffle....
Little over 300kph in a formula 4000 at PI international raceway...
With your but 25mm off the ground...you feel the speeeeeeeeed :blink: :blink:

Cheers Greg..

#246 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2006 - 04:38 PM

SS L31 M21 3.08 banjp diff gears and 13" rims.. Had it on just over 6000rpm it top gear, speedo was right off the end so i dont know how fast i was going..Location is highly confidential..

John

#247 _82911_

_82911_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2006 - 07:26 PM

^ around 130MPH John... :clap: :clap:

Cheers Greg..

#248 _user asked to be removed_

_user asked to be removed_
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2006 - 06:46 PM

Dad recently went to Alice springs for a holiday, the rental car was a VZ standard commo.

Posted Image

#249 _caseyo69_

_caseyo69_
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2006 - 02:04 PM

had my torrie at 100 kph :tease:

#250 _lxss_

_lxss_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2007 - 11:15 PM

Old torrie used to reach 200ks on a few open days i went to. That was a hatch with v8 and stock gearing. Was around the stock red line on the tacho at that speed i remember although like others have said not sure how accurate those things are.
I have also hit around 300ks at another open day on a mates R1. Not sure what was done to it, just looked like an exhaust but digital speedo read 299 then stopped climbing. Scary thing at that speed. Didnt take long to get up to it either. Amazing piece of machinery, will definetely add one to the collection one day. :o

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users