Big alternators

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 _FCCOOL_

_FCCOOL_
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2009 - 01:34 PM

i had a new prestolite 70A alternator i bought of ebay, i never got charge from it, i got it tested and it makes no charge, the rectifier is cactus and i purchased it 4 years ago so i wont be able to get warranty.
so now i need a new alternator, big stereo, twin thermos, 4 headlights, power windows, crane hi6, holley blue etc will probably keep a good load on the alternator, i dont want anything below 70A.
i took a old internal reg bosch alternator to the auto elecs to get it upgraded but they said they could no longer buy the parts to upgrade it.
so i got a price for a new 85A bosch and its out of my price range at $390.
Ive seen some cheap 100A chrome alternators on ebay, has anyone used one?
do they last and do they make the 100 amps,?
do they have replaceable parts?

#2 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2009 - 03:36 PM

Someone here got one not long ago, said it was crap and went back to original. There is a recent thread here about killing batteries I think it is, it's in there.
Don't bother with the 100A ebay jobby.

#3 _FCCOOL_

_FCCOOL_
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2009 - 03:57 PM

Someone here got one not long ago, said it was crap and went back to original. There is a recent thread here about killing batteries I think it is, it's in there.
Don't bother with the 100A ebay jobby.

so really the best option might be to get a bosch 85 A wich i think is made in china now too?

Edited by FCCOOL, 09 May 2009 - 04:00 PM.

#4 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2009 - 08:26 PM

Prolly. Unless someone out there has a better idea???
Maybe get an older Ozzy built one reco'd if you can find one???

#5 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2009 - 09:20 PM

I bought a vr 5 litre alternator , 85amp straight fitment. I believe VN through to VS 5 litre are all the same. Bought it off ebay for around $35 then just pulled it apart replaced bearings , regulator, slip rings. It was working but just wanted it recoed. All up owes me about $140 now but it will cost more if you take it to someone else to do for you .
I should add i got the parts at trade price.

Edited by SS Hatchback, 09 May 2009 - 09:22 PM.

#6 _keith1962_

_keith1962_
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2009 - 10:38 PM

I sell 120 amp alts (BOSCH) at work, so i will have a look at the price of them in the morning ok.

cheers Keith

#7 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 11:14 PM

Keith, do they have any wiring kits for them?

#8 _keith1962_

_keith1962_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2009 - 05:41 PM

Hi Terry
Are you talking about the the plugs that go on the back of the alternator????

cheers Keith

#9 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 04:19 PM

Yes mate.
Holden did a replacement kit with the battery wire and all, need sence and load wire too, but yes if I could get the connections etc would be great, require a regulator for K1 too.

#10 _bon_scott_

_bon_scott_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2009 - 06:11 PM

I bought a 120a alt off ebay advertised as a replacement for the bosch equivalent for holden 6s etc, was about $200 and haven't had a problem with it.

#11 _keith1962_

_keith1962_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2009 - 10:37 PM

^^^^^ Thats great wait it shits itself then what do you do for warrenty????????

cheers Keith

#12 _keith1962_

_keith1962_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2009 - 10:39 PM

Terry give me a call 2 morrow & i will come around and have a look at what you need mate.

cheers Keith 0417643342

#13 _UCV80_

_UCV80_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2009 - 06:57 PM

I had a 100amp full chrome, lasted about 3500kms from new then the reg failed.. to replace the reg it was going to cost soo much as it was a delco style alternator.

i replaced it with a new Bosch Standard amp V8 alternator and its absolutly excelent. i run twin AU thermos, cd player, guages. and have had no problems

#14 _89'King_

_89'King_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2009 - 03:53 PM

i recently purchased a 100A alternator from ebay cause i didnt think that the standard was working (running twin thermo's, stereo and the gilmer belts) however noow i have f*** all charge in the battery, so i replaced the battery but it just drains when the car is on/moving.. its ok if im just cruising cause the battery aint doing much but when i turn the indicators on or put on the headlight the radio cuts out and the gauges show that i have no volts in the battery...

anyone ever heard of this problem?? if so, what can i do to fix it??

#15 _keith1962_

_keith1962_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2009 - 05:18 PM

As i always say ebay is always a great risk

cheers Keith

#16 _UCV80_

_UCV80_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:27 PM

recently purchased a 100A alternator from ebay cause i didnt think that the standard was working (running twin thermo's, stereo and the gilmer belts) however noow i have f*** all charge in the battery, so i replaced the battery but it just drains when the car is on/moving.. its ok if im just cruising cause the battery aint doing much but when i turn the indicators on or put on the headlight the radio cuts out and the gauges show that i have no volts in the battery...

anyone ever heard of this problem?? if so, what can i do to fix it??

Most likely the gilmer drive you have is an under drive, (smaller crank pulley and larger then standard alternator pulley)
i had soo many issues with my old gilmer belt drive so i got rid of it which fixed the problem.

#17 smeer

smeer

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • Car:1970 LC 4-door

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:52 PM

does anyone sell decent chromed alternators?

#18 _bon_scott_

_bon_scott_
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2009 - 07:41 PM

^^^^^ Thats great wait it shits itself then what do you do for warrenty????????

cheers Keith

No idea, I imagine the cost of sending it off to be repaired would outweigh the cost of a new alternator. But thats what I have to do if I want a 120amp one as noone stocks them and according to a few places you can't get the bits needed to build a 120a bosch one anymore.

#19 _keith1962_

_keith1962_
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2009 - 10:37 PM

After market (Bosch replica alt's) $220.00 incl GST, if needed call me on 0417643342

cheers Keith

P.S. all with warrenty

#20 _bon_scott_

_bon_scott_
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2009 - 11:27 PM

Isn't that more or less what I have? Also are they 120amp?
Cheers
Chris

#21 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 12:27 AM

The VN onwards V8 alternators are good (85 amp, delivered relatively low in the engine rev range, and reliable), and the VN at least still use the older style V belt - not sure when it changed. Replacement regulators are around $50 - $75, and make sure you get a Bosch one, not a crap copy - they fail when they get hot. Watch pout for the '120 amp' and '200 amp' alternators - most are designed for diesels or traction motors, and only put out that power over a very narrow rev range - they are probably worse performing than a Bosch 85 amp alternator for a road car. remember, you don't have to have an alternator that matches peak load - your power windows and doof doof amps only pull peak power for short periods, so look at your average power load, not your peak. Your battery can cope with short term peak loads - Exide X56D is a decent battery with good reserve capacity, and fits Toranas.

If you're interested in making it look pretty, the casing is alloy, so it can be either polished or chrome plated if you're willing to pay someone to strip it and rebuild it. If you buy one from a wreckers, get it stripped, plated then rebuilt to save some money. I used to run a 308 torana with a VN alternator, big battery, thermo fans, huge stereo and high capacity headlights and spotlights without a problem.

#22 _keith1962_

_keith1962_
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2009 - 07:08 PM

Yes Chris they are 120 amps & some of the aftermarket alternators are sometimes better than the original supply.

cheers Keith

#23 _bon_scott_

_bon_scott_
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2009 - 10:55 PM

Ah ok, I'll definitely keep it in mind for when mine shits itself, or if I've got some spare cash laying around.
Cheers
Chris

#24 _Roadknight_

_Roadknight_
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:48 PM

Run two alternators.

Most of the stretch limos do because of all their interior lights.

If you have a 8 then there are two mounting positions, if u have a 6 then may have to make a new position.

#25 tsn007

tsn007

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts
  • Name:Tony
  • Car:LX hatch, LX sedan

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:21 PM

Most likely the gilmer drive you have is an under drive, (smaller crank pulley and larger then standard alternator pulley)
i had soo many issues with my old gilmer belt drive so i got rid of it which fixed the problem.

I have got the same problem in that my 120amp alternator(thanks Keith) will not charge the battery a idle shows11.8v with lights and fan on
Does anyone make a smaller alternator pulley for a v8 setup

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users