Battery Box

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2009 - 10:53 AM

At the moment i have a battery box in my hatch mounted in the spare wheel area but as you can imagine the only points i can bolt it down is on each corner of the box where it actually makes contact due to the spare wheel area being kindof rounded in shape. Although it seems tight and secure and have never had any issues in the event of something nasty happening i do doubt its integrity and wonder whether it will hold. Basically what im after is pics or ideas others have come up with when mounting these boxes as i have a few ideas but they all lead to relocating the box.

Another option was to make a plate to square off the wheel area so that the battery box can be bolted to that??

Whats your thoughts?

#2 _ass308_

_ass308_
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2009 - 01:10 PM

pics ?

#3 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 02:46 PM

I used a battery tray from a HQ-HZ which has two bolts coming out on the side at the bottom.

#4 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2009 - 04:07 PM

I made an angle iron frame to sit in the bottom of the box for the battery to sit in and bolted through that. The tie down clamp is also attached to either side of the frame. Very secure in case of accident (heaven forbid!).

#5 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2009 - 04:53 PM

ASS308 , You mean pics of my current setup??

Terry, yes that was another good option with thoughts of actually trying to mount it to the side near the rear quarter and then covering it with some side panels im currently trying to make. Also giving a little more room in there.

Squarepants, The only problem with that is that if i still have it in the spare wheel area then i have the same issues bolting it down , hard to explain , ill try upload a pic.

#6 _ass308_

_ass308_
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2009 - 05:05 PM

yeah :)
but id say squarepants idea sounds sweet

#7 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2009 - 05:15 PM

yeah :)
but id say squarepants idea sounds sweet

Yes it sounds good for solid mounting but the side of the braket or box that faces the rear of the car only touches on 2 points at the very corners because of the rounded shape of the floor in that area, i suppose i could get longer bolts and just bolt it down and the strength of the angle iron will be sweet .

#8 _SLR Goat_

_SLR Goat_
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2009 - 05:39 PM

I did what sqaurepants did i have a metal battery tray from autobarn bolted inside the battery box so the whole thing is bolted to the the floor and the battery has the clamp ova it inside to keep it from moving around

#9 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:22 PM

I did what sqaurepants did i have a metal battery tray from autobarn bolted inside the battery box so the whole thing is bolted to the the floor and the battery has the clamp ova it inside to keep it from moving around

Yep just looking at the battery trays at autobarn now, so your box is now really just to cover the battery.

Did some more thining tonight and i removed the battery from the box then realised the new optima battery is much smaller than the original one i had when first installing the box, i originally mounted inside the spare area as i need the extra height when the hatch board went in , but it now seems i can just mount a tray on the flat floor and clamp there with plenty of room to spare , I may even tuck it under slightly then just build a box around it and tidy it up .

see pic

Attached Files

#10 _SLR Goat_

_SLR Goat_
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:45 PM

Sounds like a sweet idea yeah the plastic box basically covers it up now tho i still have to vent it to outside of the car due to being a wet cell battery

What did the optima battery set u back and how do u rate the performance of it

Cheers dennis

#11 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:48 PM

I don't understand, if you're going to make a custom tray/box, why can't you make it with brackets to suit the angle of the wheel well?

#12 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2009 - 08:03 PM

Sounds like a sweet idea yeah the plastic box basically covers it up now tho i still have to vent it to outside of the car due to being a wet cell battery

What did the optima battery set u back and how do u rate the performance of it

Cheers dennis

I got the battery through a good mate and it was around $320 , and i have never seen the car crank so fast. 800cca and it seems that the car can sit for longer without going flat. Definately found it much better.

#13 _SLR Goat_

_SLR Goat_
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2009 - 08:35 PM

Cheers i was pricing them up when getting a battery for mine but funds where lacking at the time hopefully a down the track upgrade

#14 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2009 - 08:45 PM

I don't understand, if you're going to make a custom tray/box, why can't you make it with brackets to suit the angle of the wheel well?

I thought i replied to this but seems to have gone missing, I wont be making a custom tray ill be buying one with clamps as they are cheap but i will be building basically a box around it out of mdf to tidy it up a bit, the reason why i want to move it from the wheel well is so that i can fit my 17in spare rim in there.

#15 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 10 May 2009 - 08:57 PM

Hey rob, Why not also mount the battery on it's side - If that will give you the room you need.
The benefit of these kinds of battery is also that they can be mounted in any position except up-side down! that's why i got my odyssey!

the pic i attached shows the battery on it's side with an Aluminium angle frame all around, and it's held down by 4 off - M10 all thread rods through into the diff tunnel! She's going NOWHERE!

Just another idea/option for you!

Attached Files

#16 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2009 - 10:05 PM

yep thanks for that Rob thats another idea too , ill be looking into it over the next few weeks with a few other things i have to get done . Ill be sure to post up what i end up doing

#17 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:47 PM

Sweet battery.

If you make a custom box for it just ensure it is well secured inside to prevent movement.

Edited by ALX76, 11 May 2009 - 04:48 PM.

#18 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:00 PM

Sweet battery.

If you make a custom box for it just ensure it is well secured inside to prevent movement.

Yep thats the plan , either make a aluminium box and secure it in there or mount it using a battery tray and clamp and the box will be for cosmetic reasons.

#19 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:45 PM

:spoton: the planning is the hardest bit!

#20 _HRV74_

_HRV74_
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:03 PM

Hey Rob
This (probably) won't help, but geez it's a nice looking set-up.
Cheers, H

Posted Image

#21 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:51 PM

nice , any more pics Harve of setups like that?

#22 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 04:30 PM

VERY nice setup!!

#23 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:04 AM

Yea looks sweet but not keen on the exposed terminals.

#24 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 02:02 PM

exposed terminals very very close to the big metal lid!

So you can mount those optimas any way you want?

hmmmmm

#25 _HRV74_

_HRV74_
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:45 PM

Yep, they can be mounted on their side.

Sorry Rob, no more boot pictures of the wicked black hatch.

But I do have one of those 4-door, taxi-like, Torana's with an Optima Red-Top in the boot. :tease:
I assume this battery is the same size as yours??
It's secured with a battery clamp, and it's a nice fit inside the battery box.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by HRV74, 13 May 2009 - 09:51 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users