LH-UC Rear quarter replacement panels

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2009 - 02:59 PM

As the topic says, has anyone made their own replacement panels?

If so, what guage steel and any tips for bending it up properly?

I have a mig and the welding part doesnt bother me, I just need help with shaping the metal.

#2 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 May 2009 - 03:15 PM

Do you mean teh section that is right down the bottom? or the whole lot.

Because the bottom section is very easy, I cut up an appropriately sized section from an old door (skin) and rodomo beat it into shape using only simple methods and equipment. Turned out fine :)

#3 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2009 - 03:26 PM

^ That, my friend is exactly what I am after.

What are these simple methods and equipment you speak of?

#4 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:17 PM

^^^ brains and patience

#5 limo

limo

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,672 posts
  • Car:most Torana models, Jag, Vauxhall, Triton, Staesman

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:45 PM

Because the bottom section is very easy, I cut up an appropriately sized section from an old door (skin) and rodomo beat it into shape using only simple methods and equipment. Turned out fine :)
[/quote]

using metal from another Torana makes all the difference as it is designed to mould/shape so is easier to shape and the nonferric addatives are the same so welds in much better

#6 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:52 PM

^^^ brains and patience

Oh dear, I am in trouble then. :D

Limo - thanks for the tip. I have a crappy door I can chop up so I can use that.

Looks like I'd better see what is on the interwebs regarding panel beating. No doubt there is video or something I can download......

#7 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts
  • Car:LJ Torana

Posted 29 May 2009 - 09:49 AM

using metal from another Torana makes all the difference as it is designed to mould/shape so is easier to shape and the nonferric addatives are the same so welds in much better

You may want to use a cardboard template to help you out on size of the metal

#8 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 May 2009 - 11:57 AM

Yep agree with the above. Study the panel in great detail, think about things that you have that can aid with creating the shapes that you want to form. You could use a dolly and hammer set but I don't think it's necessary; you just do the best you can and then finish the repair with some filler to get it how it's supposed to look. :)

#9 _torana_umunga74_

_torana_umunga74_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2009 - 12:27 PM

its only the major bend u need to get right the curve of the panel can be made when u weld it like tacking one bit at a time.

#10 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2009 - 04:01 PM

:iagree: pretty basic repair dude, just tac abit then bend a little and tac a little and well yeah you get the idea oh yeah and dont forget to flash ya self at least once and ya gotta say some swear word too :spoton:

#11 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 30 May 2009 - 04:17 PM

I dont think there is much of a curve,so an old doorskin would probably work pretty well.
Use a cardboard template to get the size and positions of the folds in the right place.Use that cardboard you can buy at the newsagents,not corrugated beer carton.
if you have a piece of angle iron that can be securely clamped to a bench,that can give you a nice,hard edge to form your folds over.
Take your time and get it as close as possible before you cut out the old section(lay the new piece over the old panel as a bit of a guide.)
Time you spend getting it right before you start welding will pay off with a superior finish in the end.

And dont forget to remove ALL the paint from any areas you are to weld.Try not to grind the edges too thin.
Dont forget to remove all the sound deadener from the old doorskin before you start as well.
Ideally you should use 1mm(20 gauge) cold rolled mild steel if you have access to new material.
Good luck.

#12 its Paul

its Paul

Formerly lx8vd77

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts
  • Name:Paul
  • Car:LXSS, VUSS, VESSv & the mighty HB

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:38 PM

Hi Big T,

How did you go?