Boxing Out my torri!

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 _LX 76_

_LX 76_
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:40 PM

Hey guys,
I'm currently undertaking Year 12 Technology studies at school, and i was brainstorming for ages about what i could do for my major project.
Than one day it hit me.. Box out the backend of my torri? Look good - Assignment done - Add value to the car!

After clearing the bar of requirements with teachers/moderators, i started to do some back up research on the task. I have been all over gmh torana and have found some very useful information..
However, i was wondering if there are any of you out there who have any hints/tips in the construction.. joins? brackets? materials?

I basically want to build it of around 11m MDF, and cover it with black velour, build in the subwoofer thats already in there, yet still have room for my spare tyre. I also plan to line the side of the boot with carpet, along with a little compartment so i can keep a few bits and pieces in there.

I am keen for any posts of pictures of people that have done it, any instructions, idea's or information or anything relevant to the assembly and build of this "boxing out".
I have discovered that Dalley's is the place for material for interior in S.A, and have got a rough price on MDF.

What other things may i have to consider?! Anything's a help!
Post away guys! The more referencing the better, it helps me with my theory mark! =)

Cheers,
-Westie

Edited by LX 76, 27 May 2009 - 08:41 PM.

#2 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:45 PM

Go flat walls on the side, as an extention of the panel which runs into the rear wheel well, and then trim that. That creates compartments for your shit on either side, and when you are flying around corners with heavy/hard objects in the back, it will prevent the objects from flying across and slamming into the inside of the guard skin and making a male deformation in the outside of your car.

Be creative in the area up towards your rear seat. And consider mounting your spare wheel under the boot or the like, keeping it in the factory position might just make problems for you (and IMO it doesn't look that good there anyway)

Paint metal, trim MDF, using the pressed countersunk washers around countersunk screws is a cheap way of making it look neat & professional.

Have fun with it

Edited by Heath, 27 May 2009 - 08:46 PM.

#3 mitchg

mitchg

The guy with the Torailer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,111 posts
  • Name:Mitch
  • Car:Was a '77 LX V6 Torana + Torailer now VX SS

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:45 PM

This was my Year 12 Major Project: Torailer

I love the look of a nice boot layout. Many things you can do with them and they can look fantastic! Always wondered how a false floor compartment type thing would look in a sedan with the spare, a jack, tools etc would look underneath. Just an idea...

#4 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:50 PM

And consider mounting your spare wheel under the boot or the like,

What, inside the fuel tank?

#5 _LX 76_

_LX 76_
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:51 PM

Heath:
That's Awesome information mate, thanks very much for that! it all helps.
Yeah.. I plan to flatten out the floor and sit the spare wheel in there flat, with a cover made up for it over the top. The subwoofer will of course have to be set to one side to make enough room.

Mitchg:
Yeah i do too, think it's a great idea. Im going to incorporate some compartments to fit in my jack/brace and a few goodies..

Cheers!
-Westie

#6 _LX 76_

_LX 76_
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:52 PM

What, inside the fuel tank?

LOL squarepants.. i was wondering how that would work too!

#7 boomfunk

boomfunk

Forum Trimmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:00 PM

you should probably hurry on the velour purchase as the place daleys gets there velour from has closed or is in the process of closing

#8 _LX 76_

_LX 76_
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:07 PM

you should probably hurry on the velour purchase as the place daleys gets there velour from has closed or is in the process of closing

Ah kay! good info mate, i'll get the measurements done this week hopefully, and send away for it..
If they cant help me.. any idea's where else i might be able to get the material.. preferebly in S.A.. not interstate?

#9 boomfunk

boomfunk

Forum Trimmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:18 PM

yeh, like probably alot of trimmers around the place will probably has some, i just discovered over the last month they were running short, ring another supplier and they having problem to..so finaly they said xXXX is closing down..or something or rather

but should be able to find just coz daleys doesnt have any someone else will

#10 _mello92_

_mello92_
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:19 PM

I wish my stupid whingeing pom tech teacher would let me do this sort of work. My mate wanted to make a sub box, but wasn't allowed.
Hope it turns out for you mate, havent got any advice sorry. Would love to do the same to mine oneday.

Cheers

My tech project for this semester:

Attached Files

Edited by mello92, 27 May 2009 - 09:20 PM.

#11 _LX 76_

_LX 76_
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:25 PM

[quote name='mello92' date='May 27 2009, 08:49 PM' post='403068']
I wish my stupid whingeing pom tech teacher would let me do this sort of work. My mate wanted to make a sub box, but wasn't allowed.
Hope it turns out for you mate, havent got any advice sorry. Would love to do the same to mine oneday.

Haha feel you're pain mate.. feel your pain.. we've had some pretty dodgy tech teachers in the past, luckily recently we've had a top one, will negotioate and help with virtually anything..
And yeah i hope it turns out alright, should be good. Will bring alot to the car i reckon, I'll post pictures of progress and update as i go along if you're interested.

Cheers,
-Westie
P.S. I'd love to do the same as yours in regards to a body kit :P

#12 _mello92_

_mello92_
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:41 PM

Dodgy teachers are a bloody pain in the ass ay. Had this asshole (trust me, his is) since grade 8 and every year (actually lesson) hes come up with some new idea about what we should be doing and how we should be doing it blah blah blah... My conclusion is that he didn't get any the previous night...hahaha

Yea Westie, definitely post up progress pics mate, if thats no hassle. Of course we would like to see them!

In regards to the body kit, thats another dodgy job on my car Ive gotta fix, some moron cut the guards differently on either side, actually barely cut them at all, which explains why the bigger rims scrub. F***ing retards, shits me off!

Cheers mate

#13 _LX 76_

_LX 76_
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:48 PM

Dodgy teachers are a bloody pain in the ass ay. Had this asshole (trust me, his is) since grade 8 and every year (actually lesson) hes come up with some new idea about what we should be doing and how we should be doing it blah blah blah... My conclusion is that he didn't get any the previous night...hahaha

Yea Westie, definitely post up progress pics mate, if thats no hassle. Of course we would like to see them!

In regards to the body kit, thats another dodgy job on my car Ive gotta fix, some moron cut the guards differently on either side, actually barely cut them at all, which explains why the bigger rims scrub. F***ing retards, shits me off!

Cheers mate

Lol definately.. I got dubbed school captain this year.. so its made life a bit easier in the sense i can get around alotta things.. but of course harder cos of commitments..
And sound's like you've got him worked out baha!

Yeah i will do! cant wait to make a dent into it!

Looks mad-as though man.. Jealous much! :P I had heapsa dodgy jobs on my torri when i got it too.. such as subwoofer hooked into brake lights, really bad wiring, and tempory fixes..
heh.. work never stops

cheers
-westie

#14 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:52 PM

Woah this thread is goin nuts!

SORRY re the spare wheel position, forgot that Toranas have fuel tanks (mine is coming out in a month or two and the spare wheel will go there) lol so I've just been thinking about it for my case which is kinda different :P

#15 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:01 PM

Sadly no room for the spare wheel in this setup. But you get the idea.
Carpet from Bunnings at approx $30.00 per lineal metre ie 1metre x 2 metres

Sorry its the best photo I have! The boot gets changed just about for every car show I enter, right now the boot has been stripped out for hillclimbs.

Herne

#16 _mello92_

_mello92_
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2009 - 11:10 PM

I like yours Herne, simple but effective.

Hahaha Heath, its gettin fairly off topic too!

Must be something with captains and toranas Westie, as I'm vice-captain. :P

Cheers.

#17 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2009 - 11:17 PM

Cheers.

TY mello, it is fairly simple and cost effective :) The tricky bit is what you cant see right behind the number plate and across the inside tail light to tail light. It's in 3 pieces and after some bending and shaping it holds itself in place, not a screw anywhere along that particular panel. Its sort of spring loaded lol Its not in the car right now, if it were I would get some photo's, that particular area took a lot of precise measuring, cutting and shaping. The floor is flattened out with some 12mm?? particle board.

Herne

#18 _tyre fryer_

_tyre fryer_
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2009 - 11:56 PM

Cheers.

That's crazy, I was school captain last year!
I never really appreciated 'boxed in' boots, but this thread is getting me half encouraged to have a go at my lc when it's on the road.
Chris Orangelj has a great one, He's removing it soon I think I read somewhere...

#19 Mort

Mort

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts
  • Name:Mort
  • Car:74 LH SL/R 4.2, 75 LH 4 door 186
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 May 2009 - 12:32 AM

Attached File  89655x624y472.jpg   46.45K   82 downloads
Attached File  89656x624y472.jpg   55.49K   52 downloads

Here are a couple of shots of a boot that i was going to do in the boys (now mine) torana.

Mort

#20 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2009 - 01:13 AM

I like that one Mort :) Would be nice if my work was that good but its not.
Besides I change mine too often too. lol

Cheers
Herne

#21 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 10:48 AM

my ears were burning!

Posted Image

Thats the only picture (I think) that I have here at work and that was before it was completely finished. it actually sits alot better then that.

my spare wheel has a carpeted cover, my battery is on the left there and also has a carpeted cover. I also made an infil panel for the left hand side (behind the battery) as it gave the boot a more symetrical look.

The pattern in the perspex (which was thanks to Leakey (Mark) )matches the pattern in my interior trim

Posted Image

from memory, I only used the 6mm MDF, it was thick enough and strong enough for what I needed.

Ive always been a fan of using vinyl or leather as a centre piece, it just looks alot nicer then plain carpet everywhere and I always wanted to be able to still carry a couple chairs or an eski.

Also, speakers in the boot are a crappy idea, they wont put out any decent sound to you in the car and just add more weight. Stick with subs and amps.

Im planning to rework my boot back to a single sub and an amp rack when I get around to it.

Will probably leave the wall though, it protects the subs and amp and gives you places to hide things (in behind on either side)

Start with pictures of the boot and do some pencil sketching of what you want (will help with your marks too) then head the the cardboard stage, get it all worked out, figure out what you want and where.

Just remember with the panels, once you pad and trim them they will be 5mm or so wider, so dont cut them exact or you might end up with bits out of allignment when you are finished.

ohh, one more thing, symmetry is often the best way to go about things, if you cant get it symmetrical, then atleast balance it out, if you have a sub on one side, make the amps an equal feature on the other.

Good luck!

Throw up you progress as you go!

Edited by orangeLJ, 28 May 2009 - 10:53 AM.

#22 ToRunYa

ToRunYa

No Longer A Contributing Ninja/Member.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts
  • Name:Em

Posted 28 May 2009 - 11:11 AM

bout time someone put up a showcar quality boot effort. Chris is right, make sure everything fits with cardboard first and anybody can get a nice example. Me and a mate got bored one day and decked out the back of her pulsar for the autobarn db drags at mildy. won best install and street stock class A! :huh: not bad for a couple of chicks, a weekend and a couple of boxes of cruisers! (the cruisers were there for the cardboard... honest)

#23 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 12:00 PM

geee, if em can do it hepped up on tart fuel (cruisers) then anyone can succeed! haha.

:P

#24 ToRunYa

ToRunYa

No Longer A Contributing Ninja/Member.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts
  • Name:Em

Posted 28 May 2009 - 12:03 PM

:spoton: exactly!

#25 _markbeath_

_markbeath_
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2009 - 12:18 PM

This was my Yr 12 Design and Tech Project : http://www.gmh-toran.......tem&CID=150

Not as good as the Torailer but hey lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users