Boxing Out my torri!

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#26 _dickiep_

_dickiep_
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2009 - 11:41 PM

heres my boot. has the amp and battery behind the back wall( removable ). thats a holden first aid kit too!
Attached File  IMGP0029.jpg   174.69K   96 downloads

#27 _Phantom10_

_Phantom10_
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2009 - 04:45 PM

That's crazy, I was school captain last year!
I never really appreciated 'boxed in' boots, but this thread is getting me half encouraged to have a go at my lc when it's on the road.
Chris Orangelj has a great one, He's removing it soon I think I read somewhere...

I know what you mean Matt, after lookin at DickieP's interior etc i was down the shed just sitting there in the drivers seat thinking about what i can do to my LC lol, but just ended up Polishing her lol... it will happen... one day

#28 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2009 - 07:36 PM

heres my boot. has the amp and battery behind the back wall( removable ). thats a holden first aid kit too!
Attached File  IMGP0029.jpg   174.69K   96 downloads

That is sweet mate! :spoton:
I'm gonna go for a similar sort of concept in my LH.
But where do you hide your 12 inches of hot subwoofer moit??? :tease: :tease: :tease:

#29 _dickiep_

_dickiep_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2009 - 12:11 AM

I know what you mean Matt, after lookin at DickieP's interior etc i was down the shed just sitting there in the drivers seat thinking about what i can do to my LC lol, but just ended up Polishing her lol... it will happen... one day

you should be stoked with such an awesome stock interior mate. love stock interior. at least you polished her too i should be doing that sunday and starting my dash!

But where do you hide your 12 inches of hot subwoofer moit???

no sub here mate, but im looking at maybe putting in a 10" but then ill have to redo the boot.

#30 _evilsim_

_evilsim_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2009 - 09:06 PM

Nice work there dickiep looks nice. Mine is'nt boxed but everything is trimmed up with no metal surfaces exposed.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#31 _LX 76_

_LX 76_
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2009 - 06:45 PM

WOW haven't looked at my thread for a few days.. AWESOME Support guys!
Alot of good information/piccy's and advice!
Thankyou all, Keep 'em rolling in.

A bit of an update:
Last tech lesson i measured up rough sizes and got hold of some MDF(still deciding what thickness i'm going for the floor/sidewalls but i believe around 6 -9mm).
I also got hold of some thick cardboard from out the back of the local shop and have made a start at some templates.

During the week, i jumped onto paint and came up with a quick idea of what i wanted, along with some sketches. (the picture i found on this website posted by Mort i believe Thanks!)
I also lined my two inside boot sections with a "thickish" carpet to protect the walls from whats to be stored within the compartment. I will post some pictures of what i've been up to hopefully sometime tomorrow afterschool.

The water bottle for the windscreen wipers is currently in the boot, and will be mounted on the inside wall of the "boxed" out side wall, with an opening compartment to use as a fill point. The amp will be hidden to one side at the very rear right handside of the boot, subwoofer being positioned to the left. (although i may change the location whilst cardboard-ing)

I will probably be ringing the material mob sometime this week.

I'll keep you all posted with pics/updates wherever I can.

Thanks all again,
Cheers,
-Westie

Attached Files

#32 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,075 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:01 PM

There was an article in Street Machine not long ago where they mounted a sub inside the spare wheel, in a late model Falcon I think... Wouldn't be too hard to adapt to a Torana.

Tim

#33 _mello92_

_mello92_
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:02 PM

Looks good Westie. Keen to see how it goes, I wanna do mine sometime soon. :)

#34 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:15 AM

yeah alot of places make a "shallow" sub (usually sold as ute subs) that dont need much space (in terms of box volume and depth aswell) to function correctly.

maybe look at them for space saving.

#35 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2009 - 06:40 PM

There really good if your deaf.

Apart from that i wouldn't recommend them, sound shithouse.

Cheers.

#36 _LX 76_

_LX 76_
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:35 PM

Okay.. Finally Got round to an update guys:

Firstly, Thankyou all very much for your imput, I've had an incredible amount of responses, good information and tips. Very much appreciated. It's making my theory task, all that much easier!

Anyhows..
I've made my first start into the project.. I've had a bit of a clean up in the boot (after a light accident with some petrol! =( ) Done some measurements and worked out what i want to achieve.

I've decided, rather than ordering up a random black material for covering the MFD, i will wait until i go to the city next weekend, where i'll drop into the upholsters personally to get exactly what i want.

As for MDF Thicknesses ive decided to go solid walls, around 9mm (so the compartment doors aren't flimsy) The floor will more than likely be the same.
The far wall will be 6mm to lighten it up a bit, and the closest, to the petrol inlet wall will be again the lighter gauge, as i will need room to keep the spare tyre in. (Its a close fit)

As for the subwoofer, i've decided to keep with what i've got.. as im happy with the sound. I will recover the box with the same colour material to keep it all matching =)

I've taken a few photo's of what i have to start with..
Some of what my boot usually looks like.. Which is really quite bad..
Some of the boot emptyish.., and a one of the carpet i have lined on the inside wall.

Thankyou all again, please keep it coming!
More updates soon!
Cheers,
-Westie

Attached Files

#37 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2009 - 09:02 PM

Westie, what's the washer bottle and pump in your boot for?
Please don't tell me it's a rear tyre squirter setup????

#38 _LX 76_

_LX 76_
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:07 PM

Westie, what's the washer bottle and pump in your boot for?
Please don't tell me it's a rear tyre squirter setup????

No idea sorry mate.. It came with the car, and it works.. thats all i know! haha Whys that? Where's it meant to be?

#39 _mello92_

_mello92_
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:25 PM

Where's it meant to be?

In the engine bay? lol.

Where are u gonna put it now? Since the boot will be boxed...

#40 _LX 76_

_LX 76_
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2009 - 11:07 PM

In the engine bay? lol.

Where are u gonna put it now? Since the boot will be boxed...

Haha fair enough.. um.. i've actually got a spot for it on the inside side wall, where i will still be able to fill it.. i dont think would want it in the engine bay.. having it in the back tidy's it up a bit heh.

Cheers mate,

#41 _mello92_

_mello92_
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2009 - 11:47 AM

Yea thats what I was thinking, the cleaner the engine bay the better. I hoep yours seals well, mine chucks water everywhere if its more than half full.

Cheers.

#42 _LX 76_

_LX 76_
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2009 - 08:55 PM

I hoep yours seals well, mine chucks water everywhere if its more than half full.

Haha i'm lucky.. nice and solid. no leaks =)
Cheers,

#43 _mello92_

_mello92_
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2009 - 10:25 PM

Aaaaaany Uuuuuupdates?

#44 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2009 - 10:53 PM

Aaaaaany Uuuuuupdates?

Yep, I still haven't dun nuffin wiv my boot, but I fought about it heaps!!!
I'm sure we're all getting there, at our own pace.

#45 _mello92_

_mello92_
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2009 - 10:56 PM

Coooool!

#46 _LX 76_

_LX 76_
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2009 - 11:31 AM

Sorry guys!! Its been ages since i've logged on here.. i have however done a fair bit on the boot..
When i get a chance i will upload some pictures.. but for now i'll just auickly fill you in on what i've done so far..

I've measured up and cut up all the cardboard templates to size. I did this by shoving bits of cardboard into the boot, and slowly working out by means of pencil and scissors. This helped to find the correct size for it to fit snugly. (i really recommend doing this first!)

After about a few lessons of this, and being satisfied with the templates, i moved to tracing these templates on to some 6mm MDF. From there, i proceeded to cut the pieces out with a bandsaw. I am about half-way through the MDF piece stage.

The most anoying part is that I have had to continuously walk back and fourth between the sander, bandsaw and boot of my car to try and get it to fit. (From the tech room, through the tafe block, to the carpark.. keeps me fit :P)

Even with the cardboard templates being used, MDF was much harder to get it to fit nicely. So it has been alot of playing and messing around with, but i am slowly getting there. I am yet to make up a bracket to secure the subwoofer to the far wall. I also have to find a way the best way of bracketing the joins together.

The pictures i have taken along the way explain what i have said alot better, so i will try and upload them as soon as possible.
Thankyou all for following this thread, and keep any other ideas/comments or suggestions coming.

Cheers,
-Westie

Edited by LX 76, 31 July 2009 - 11:37 AM.

#47 _Mr S_

_Mr S_
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:55 PM

hey LX 76 good luck with sub box. wish my year 12 teacher let me make one.
just reading this thread inspired me to hurry up and make myself a couple of boxes for my lx.
ive just used MDF offcuts that i could find and knocked em up in bout 2 days. ive also used the trailing arm holes in the boot to bolt them down. probs wont look as good as yours but heres a few pics of the left one. might give you some ideas or something

cheers

Attached Files

#48 _LX 76_

_LX 76_
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2009 - 06:56 PM

hey LX 76 good luck with sub box. wish my year 12 teacher let me make one.
just reading this thread inspired me to hurry up and make myself a couple of boxes for my lx.
ive just used MDF offcuts that i could find and knocked em up in bout 2 days. ive also used the trailing arm holes in the boot to bolt them down. probs wont look as good as yours but heres a few pics of the left one. might give you some ideas or something

cheers

Thanks very much mate, pushing along with it.. and yeah, im glad its inspired you, it seems to have done that to a few, which is good. All in this together! haha.
Cheers for the pics, its funny you did that cos im running the exact same subwoofer in my boot atm :P not bad are they? but yeah, only thing is mine is going against the far far wall, (Behind the seat) its a tight sqeaze, but will manage it. Thanks for the post though mate, appreciate it.
Cheers,
-Westie
P.S yeah my tech teachers awesome, he likes to get involved in it too, he's been a huge help.

#49 _mello92_

_mello92_
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:45 PM

P.S yeah my tech teachers awesome, he likes to get involved in it too, he's been a huge help.

Lucky bugger! Mine just continually whinges about the world!

I see you've updated your signature too Westie, thats a decent list of rides you got mate!

Cheers for the update too, looking forward to those piccys!

#50 _LX 76_

_LX 76_
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:56 PM

Hey all! Glad to see this post has generated some interest, and as promised. Here are some pictures of what's been happening. I have decided i will leave the "how to's" and "whys" till the end of this project when i have to do my theory write up, i will than also put it on here for you all to see.. Thanks again guys, Keep the input coming,
Cheers,
-Westie

p.s Theres a photo of me a lil frustrated with something haha dont mind that
The rest is all pretty self explantoray.. any questions, just ask =)

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users