kudu

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • Car:LH SL/R 5000

Posted 21 March 2006 - 08:17 PM

G'Day,
Over the past few months there have been the odd post mentioning manifolds/carbs/bugcatchers etc and whether or not they were illegal or allowed in certain states. I am curious as to whats allowed over there in OZ. I thought I would include a pic of a mate of mine's LX. This car was completely road legal. Which states would this be allowed in?

Posted Image

#2 _user asked to be removed_

_user asked to be removed_
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 08:35 PM

Not new south wales, there road rules are tight!

*Liam

#3 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,320 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 March 2006 - 08:45 PM

There are always exceptions. BLOWN-Z is registered somehow... talk to Smokem. There are quite a few Torries with similar setups, but I can't say I've been acquainted with the owners. Talk to SMOKEM... he's from SA and he's registerd here.

#4 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 21 March 2006 - 09:24 PM

not a fart's chance in HELL!

Basically in NSW anything engine mounted must be covered by a covering that is made of teh same material as the original bonet ( go figure).. and also not impede vision...

Clear a path mate.. I'm moving to Kiwiland!

#5 _Roadknight_

_Roadknight_
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 09:25 PM

Would that photo happen to be at Port Rd, Whangarei?

#6 kudu

kudu

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 03:00 PM

Would that photo happen to be at Port Rd, Whangarei?

Nope its in Wanganui.

not a fart's chance in HELL!

Basically in NSW anything engine mounted must be covered by a covering that is made of teh same material as the original bonet ( go figure).. and also not impede vision...

Clear a path mate.. I'm moving to Kiwiland!

I have a spare room ready for you Tiny... :D :D :D
That impede the vision thing. Well if its a V8 then its in the centre of the bonnet and off to the side of your vision. Its not going to stop me seeing the road ahead. On my previous torana the SBC I had in it was tunnel rammed with carb spacers. Now no cop ever pulled me up for it because its allowed. If a car has a engine that is not original ie BBC in an original 4 cylinder torrie then it just has to be certified. Once that is done you can go home rip off the standard manifold chuck on a supercharger and its all completely legal. I much prefer to see the hardware than a scoop!!!

So basically NSW is out if I ever decide to move to OZ... :D .

#7 _TORANR AMORE_

_TORANR AMORE_
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2006 - 03:10 PM

Not in Victoria, and I don't think it's road legal across the other states either. You may wanna try central Australia, LOL. :D

If you do see blowers/bugcatchers like that towering out of someones bonnet in Victoria and they don't seem to get pulled over on a Sunday or something, then I think the cops are showing leniancy, but according to the ADR's you can't have them like that and have to have a scoop over them that doesn't restrict your vision by 11meters from the front of your car.

The reasons Vicroads give are that they don't want it to endanger pedestrians in case you hit them (go figure) and they don't want oil/fluids to accidently piss out and harm people. <_<

I have the same dillema as to how I'm going to use my tunnel rams and still havent worked it out yet :cry:

#8 _MRNOS_

_MRNOS_
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2006 - 03:31 PM

Dont even think about QLD

#9 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 03:52 PM

Kudu: Stay wehre you are mate... For all the kiwi jokes i reckon you guys have the better laws! We all get screwed over here...

Cheers mate :spoton:

#10 _SL/R SS A9X_

_SL/R SS A9X_
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2006 - 04:43 PM

Mine does abit
Here is some pics
Posted Image

Posted Image

And i dont have any hassles from the police.

Jason

#11 _SL/R SS A9X_

_SL/R SS A9X_
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2006 - 04:46 PM

I just noticed that the pic that KUDU posted the torana has a original front spoiler :spoton:
Jason

#12 _dave720gtr_

_dave720gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2006 - 07:09 PM

Dont even think about QLD

yerr your dead right there not in good old QLD Kudu no way as tiny says
must be covered

#13 _high_rpm_

_high_rpm_
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2006 - 08:54 PM

Talk to SMOKEM... he's from SA and he's registerd here.

He's only registed to keep his plates and to be able to drive around at summer nats im prity sure.

#14 _lh 5.0_

_lh 5.0_
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2006 - 09:31 PM

My bug catcher used to stick out a bit more than that hilborne, I never got defected for it, but I always got cops running red lights and stuff to see what other interesting bits and pieces there were that they could bill me for. I think they look unreal, poking out about halfway.

#15 kudu

kudu

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 02:50 PM

I just noticed that the pic that KUDU posted the torana has a original front spoiler 
Jason

Yeah, whats the deal with those? I grew up in ignorance and believed that all LH/LX spoilers were the fibreglass 2 piece type as in L34. I remember seeing some that were a lot less deep and made of plastic and thinking that they were just bad replicas. But they were the ones made for the LX SS or SL/R 5000 were they?

#16 kudu

kudu

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 02:52 PM

I just noticed that the pic that KUDU posted the torana has a original front spoiler 
Jason

Yeah, whats the deal with those? I grew up in ignorance and believed that all LH/LX spoilers were the fibreglass 2 piece type as in L34. I remember seeing some that were a lot less deep and made of plastic and thinking that they were just bad replicas. But they were the ones made for the LX SS or SL/R 5000 were they?

#17 _torana_

_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2006 - 02:32 PM

can anyone forward me to the correct rules for nsw in reagards to bonnet scoops and visibility legalities as Ive heard so many different stories, but i would like to see it in writing, for my up and coming project.

Ive found this page on the nsw rta site
http://www.rta.nsw.g...si/vsi_dl1.html

and if you look into VSI 06 on that page you find this inside, ( its actually good reading for motor swaps, wheels, suspension etc )

Bodywork and interior
There are general requirements concerning alterations to the bodywork:
a:) no alteration may cause a hazard to persons due to exposed sharp edges or projections; and
b:) no alteration may cause a reduction in the level of safety or overall strength of the vehicle.

is this telling me I can have a bonnet scoop as long as there is no sharp edges, and the bonnet is still as strong as before? Surley there has to be more ( can i see 11meters in front of the car/etc)

Any help or experience would be greatly appreciated, as I want my car to abide by all legalities

cheers Julian

Edited by torana, 24 March 2006 - 02:37 PM.

#18 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 02:50 PM

Torana: Call teh tech info line too.. they faxed me some info relating to bonet scoops... it had everything you'll need.

Cheers

#19 _SL/R SS A9X_

_SL/R SS A9X_
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2006 - 02:54 PM

But i live in australia tho!

Jason

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users