LC 2 door and traction?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 _dansedgli_

_dansedgli_
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2006 - 02:08 PM

Hi Guys,

Im just curious if anyone has succesfully got good traction with stock LC 2 door tubs? What size slicks can fit under there?

I want to take it racing but wont be able to get it mini tubbed for a while. The plan is the get the 9 inch made to the stock torana width then later on get mini tubs and a wheel with a bigger backspace to fill the gaps.

Any opinions or suggestions?

#2 _Torana308_

_Torana308_
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2006 - 11:19 PM

Mine on the street im running 225/50/15 with good clearance but im going to try a mates 26/8.5/15s on there i tried them before and they fit but touched cause of the offset. have you thought about using the adjustable upper trailing arms as well? My mate has them fitted to his commodore and seems to help traction alot cause you can adjust your pinion angle. I think it was tss that had them last time i looked, but they dont seem to be on his website now

Edited by Torana308, 22 March 2006 - 11:21 PM.

#3 _dansedgli_

_dansedgli_
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2006 - 07:10 AM

Thanks mate, do you think you could fit a 235 tyre under there with the right offset?

I havent heard of the adjustable trailing arms. How do they work? Do they replace the mounting points on top of the diff housing?

#4 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 04:21 PM

They are an adjustable rod so that you can change pinion angle,TSS sell them.As long as you dont go over 26in diameter tyre or you have to stretch the wheel arches.With the correct offset you can fit a 8.5in wide tyre.

#5 _Torana308_

_Torana308_
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2006 - 06:51 PM

I think a 235 would be possible. I can get my hand between the tyre and guard most of the way round from memory. I noticed in the new Street Machine that MsDonald bros are selling the adjustable top arms as well now, They are on my shopping list for sure. If your going racing and having a second set of wheels and only going to use steel wheels you could have them made up to whatever offset you want to make the tyre sit perfect.

#6 _tj81_

_tj81_
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2006 - 06:57 PM

:spoton:

hahahahah Torana and traction....thats a good one hahahhahahahaha good stuff !!!

#7 _dansedgli_

_dansedgli_
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2006 - 07:14 PM

I think a 235 would be possible. I can get my hand between the tyre and guard most of the way round from memory. I noticed in the new Street Machine that MsDonald bros are selling the adjustable top arms as well now, They are on my shopping list for sure. If your going racing and having a second set of wheels and only going to use steel wheels you could have them made up to whatever offset you want to make the tyre sit perfect.

Thanks guys, The plan is to get custom wheels anyway so I dont mind doing it if it prevents me having to tub the car. Steelies will be the go a while. Damn money tree keeps dying! :cry:

I want to run those 235 wide MT street radials, they should provide plenty of grip. A mate has those on his 340rwkw EA and they do well. I have used the 275/17 inch version and run a few 1.67 60 footers.

In regards to fitting the 235, are you talking about leaving the shock in its factory place?

#8 _Torana308_

_Torana308_
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2006 - 07:45 PM

Ill take some pics on the weekend. My shock is relocated at the diff end to clear the calliper but the top mount is standard. Im thinking of thying the same tyres on mine as well. I ran mine on the weekend on some yoko street tyres and i must say im impressed how well it hooked up with the tyres let down to 18psi.

#9 _dansedgli_

_dansedgli_
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2006 - 07:00 AM

Ill take some pics on the weekend. My shock is relocated at the diff end to clear the calliper but the top mount is standard. Im thinking of thying the same tyres on mine as well. I ran mine on the weekend on some yoko street tyres and i must say im impressed how well it hooked up with the tyres let down to 18psi.

Pics of your shock setup would be great mate, thanks!

What engine and trans are you running? Mines a manual so its going to take a bit of practise.

A good 225 tyre should be pretty good for the street and low boost, what kind of yoko's are they?

Ill check out the macdonald racing site for those trailing arms, thanks for that.

#10 _lj chev_

_lj chev_
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2006 - 07:23 PM

i dunno if you have seen a lc ( cgmfly ) but he has run some serious times on 235 slicks like your talking about. on fullboost.com.au it has a big article about the car. he has run in the 9 second zone with the rb30 turbo.

#11 _lj chev_

_lj chev_
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2006 - 07:27 PM

i found the link http://www.fullboost...storyId=461&p=1
:)

#12 mrlctorana

mrlctorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 10:14 AM

Hey guy, I've got standard tubs and am running 22.5x8x13 inch Hoosier slicks, had no trouble fitting them under the standard guards and leaving the shock in the original position, just had to find the right offset rims.

Heres some picks;

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Cheers

Les

#13 _dansedgli_

_dansedgli_
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 06:22 AM

That is very nice mrloctorana. Any idea what the offset is? Are those wheels that offset from when they were made or are they custom?

Thats a very tidy looking undercarriage too btw!

CGMFLY is an awesome machine. Its mini tubbed so Im not sure if he has the same clearance issues.

#14 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 12:07 PM

I thought it was just sqare-shouldered with stretched wheel arches.I think it had the std back seat in it but it's a bit hard to remember as I last saw that car a few years ago at summernats when it was for sale.

#15 _dansedgli_

_dansedgli_
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 01:11 PM

It might be like that Im not 100%.

The guy that built my turbo manifold said it was tubbed.

Ive got a mate who races rally and he knows the owner, Ill see if he knows for sure. I wouldnt mind the same setup.

#16 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 04:10 PM

Just put your shocks inside the rails,square off the std tubs & stretch the arches & you should be able to put 26in by 8.5in without the car sitting like a 4wd.If you want to go bigger to be more consistent you might as well mini-tub it now so you dont have to pull it apart & repaint.If your aiming for 10's or 9's down the line you might as well tub & cage it because they can get pretty scary/dangerous at 120mph or more.I drove my cousin in laws 11.3 at 119,no tubs,no cage it scared me when it stepped out at the 300 metre mark & there was no safety equipment in it at all.

#17 _finer70_

_finer70_
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 05:09 PM

Sorry, I just can't help it, Workshop Safety is screaming in my ears.

Everyone, Please take CARE, any car set up on blocks as in the picture is a death trap and a situation that could also cause major damage to the car.

A set of properly designed stands would be much easier and SAFER to use. Safety is not luck. Take as much care of yourselves as with your car.

#18 _Torana308_

_Torana308_
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 08:06 PM

Ok i took some photos hope they help a bit. Wish we could legally do mini tubs up here.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users