How to clean out brake parts ?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 _Eddie_

_Eddie_
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2006 - 06:00 PM

Hey guys, what product do you use clean out the brake lines and the master cylinder with? I'm guessing chlorine might be a bad idea? Mine have been lying around for 6 months, now I gotta put em back on the car.

#2 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2006 - 07:03 PM

Brakleen. Available from Repco and Bursons. About $10 a can depending on where you buy it.

#3 _Eddie_

_Eddie_
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2006 - 07:34 PM

Ok, thanks chop chop. While we are here, is there anyway to repace the nuts that screw into the cylinder/hoses on the brake lines? Or do you have to replace the whole damn line?

#4 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2006 - 07:57 PM

If there is a bit of a bend in the line, you can sometimes straighten it to make it reach further. If you can, you can replace the fitting by removing the end of the line and re-flaring it. Hope that makes sense.

#5 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2006 - 08:15 PM

Whilst we are on the topic of brakes what can I use in the form of some spray to help relieve a squeaky disk brake? If not a spray then what is the procedure?
Umm the pads are hard not worn down and could be made of a now illegal substance :) Get my drift.... The brakes work fine just one squeals like a stuck pig.....The brakes came this way when I purchased the car.

Cheers
Herne

#6 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2006 - 08:18 PM

Some calipers have an anti squeal shim. What car are we talking about? There is a product called disc brake anti squeal. dattoman would know more about both.

#7 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2006 - 08:52 PM

Thanks Chopper,

I am talking about my LX Torana, pretty sure it's rear passenger side with a Salisbury LSD and HX/Z discs.

Cheers
Herne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users