I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 March 2006 - 08:02 PM

A local mate of mine came around today and after driving in his car with the windows down, I realised the loudness of the creaky suspension that he was telling me about.

I got the gist the front end is pretty much all new rubbers, but may still have a few older ones. They didn't feel like Nolethane, so I'm guessing they're just standard rubber.

Anyway, this thing is embarrassingly loud, and I was wondering what the cause of it may be... keeping in mind I haven't even looked at the suspension; I didn't get a chance today. Maybe some sort of lubrication process that he may have missed out when he was assembling it all?

Has anyone experienced this before?
LX Sedan, Sunbird converted to 2850. Runs standard 13" wheels and I'm guessing it's a Disc Brake 6cyl Front end, but I could be wrong there. Thanks all

#2 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 22 March 2006 - 08:08 PM

Check all the usual suspects.
May have loose control arm bolts allowing bush inner metal sleeves to squark.
Get it fixed a.s.a.p of others may think its a ford.

RACV MAN

Edited by rodomo, 22 March 2006 - 08:09 PM.

#3 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 March 2006 - 08:20 PM

He mentioned a few times that he has gone over every bolt ten times checking everything; would that be one that you'd necessarily tighten?

Is there anything that you have to do on a Torana that ensures better lubrication or anything? ...ideally coming from someone who has built several crossmembers up successfully.

#4 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 22 March 2006 - 11:41 PM

The upper inner control arm pivots have a friction thread nut that may "appear" to be tight but isn't. It takes a fair effort to tighten these properly and should be re-tightened after running especially on older front ends. They should also be tightened at "ride height" e.g. with all the weight back on the front end. Look for dusty rust marks around "any" pivot. This is a dead giveaway that something is loose. You mentioned it had had some bushes replaced? Maybe a spring is not seated right which may also cause squarking.

RACV MAN (Who has successfully rebuilt several front ends before he retired to the RACV, but still has the memories)

Edited by rodomo, 22 March 2006 - 11:47 PM.

#5 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2006 - 12:51 PM

I have a squeaky front end atm, but i think its more so dust collection as my car rarely gets driven cos im outta town for work 2 weeks outta 3... I'm going to get the grease gun out and find some nipples to grease! My whole undercarriage has new springs/bushes/shocks and it only makes the noise when im driving straigh or slightly to either side, and when i hit small bumps. I'm putting it down to dry lube - hence the grease gun!!

Keith

P.S. Heath - whats the symptoms, i.e. is it all the time, when he turns, when he slows down??? Mine used to be a 4cyl too, but i think this has nothing to do with it as the UC Sunbird and UC Torana use the same gear underneath (bushes, springs, yadda yadda)...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users