#1 Peter UC

Peter UC

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 07:36 AM

G'day all
As the headline says there is a towbar on the LX and I have no idea how to take it off. The head of the bolts sit inside the chassie rails which I can't get to with a spanner, etc and the bolts just turn when I try to undo the nuts, I don't want to destroy it as I want to put in on the UC.

#2 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2005 - 07:57 AM

Doesnt sound like a factory item, very easy to remove. one wonders how they tightend them up? Is it possible to wedge a bar, screwdriver etc in there to stop the nuts turning.

#3 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2005 - 08:23 AM

Lift the mat in the boot, the bolts go all the way through to the boot, and should also have anti-crush tubes through the chassis rails. Put a spanner on the bottom nut, lock it off on the side rail, and get a ratchet to the bolt head in the boot.

Just double check that the LH/LX towbar will fit, as I think the UC's spare tire well may cause some problems, i.e. not directly transferable. Hopefully for your sake, I'm wrong on this point.

#4 Peter UC

Peter UC

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 10:40 AM

I don't know who fit it but the bolts definatly don't go right through as I can touch the bolt heads in the chassie rail. I think I will just grind the bolts off and get new ones for the UC, looks like the towbar will fit the wheel well.

#5 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2005 - 10:55 AM

How bodge!

Anyways, get yourself some longer bolts, drill the top one a bit bigger for the crush tubes, and fit it right through the whole chasis rail so you are getting the benefit of the whole cross section of steel, not just the bottom face. You need crush tubes so you don't deform the rails.

#6 _RTS Guy_

_RTS Guy_
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2005 - 11:02 AM

all the LH/LX tow bars i have can fit a UC as well, so thats alright.

as Yella said thats how a tow bar should be fitted to a torana.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users