Offsets and Backspacing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 _MAWLER_

_MAWLER_
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2006 - 01:31 PM

Hey, I'm working out what size rims I need to buy and am getting a little confused. What is the difference between offset and backspace, or is it just two different words for the same thing?

Thanks,

Liam.

#2 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 01:41 PM

Back space is the distance from the wheel bolt up flange to the inner edge of the rim and offset is the distance from centre of the rim to the bolt up flange

#3 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 01:54 PM

The backspace as a reference distance wil not change from rim width to rim width. It will however give a different result in how much the rim sticks out towards the guard. However a +25 offset will mean two different backspaces for a 6" verses an 8" rim.

#4 _MAWLER_

_MAWLER_
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2006 - 03:42 PM

Ahh, o.k, so one is for the inside and one for the outside. I thought offset was from wherever the centre was (ie spokes or whatever) to the outside lip of the rim - is this what you were saying LSILX?

So now I have to balance not only trying to find a good dish but also the backspace so that it will all fit in the wheel tub. I've chosen 15x8 as the rim size, is there an easy way to calculate the offset and backspace that will do the best job?

Cheers,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users