the end is nigh!!!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 _waratah_

_waratah_
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2009 - 05:21 PM

In My Sport (dirct circuit in SA) the 308 torry has always been competitive,always for 30 years against all sorts of contraptions. The thing was if you could drive, you set you car up right it took alot of money to show you up or make the torana look its age, if you spent similar money on your torana it kept up with everything ......
until now, our sport the AWD is creeping into it, we can get straight line speed like them, we can get more middle corner speed but we have to hold race lines,make no errors and get our power down, the AWD does that from any line,any amount of monentum and thus is almost impossible to overtake or out drive unless they make a mistake.
its sad "the ultimate group c trouring car" has finaly met its maker. took 30 years but!!!!

case in point i got played with by a gen III powered awd mazda but i pushed him deep into a tight corner with him having to take the inside line, i played the outside /inside game which rarely fails in this instance, i hit throttle first, less of turn in but when he hit the throttle he made me look second rate, it pulled from no line, no momentum and somewhat in the marbles.
i was gob smacked!
the RWD torana will never hold that,never.

CAMS recognised the AWD ability 15 years ago, i now understand fully why they went the way they did.

#2 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 30 June 2009 - 05:35 PM

they should make a 2nd category for AWD's

#3 _doucmyuc_

_doucmyuc_
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2009 - 01:15 AM

Unfortunately is just technology and money becoming more effective and efficient respectively!

Ive gotten into a fair bit of the supersprints of late. My old factory 1996 Nissan Autech Pulsar (fwd racing 2ltr coupe) was literally able to walk all over your rx7's, SS hatches and a few LJ's out of the box - with just as much reliability. I too at that point understood why CAMS banned the AWD's from entering the touring cars. The question has to be asked, if they didnt restrict them, how far would development have gone with our local manufacturers trying to step things up? At the time in the early 90's Holden and Ford were still using the Touring cars to sell their high end road cars. I know i was pretty young back then - but thats what it looked like to me! Maybe we would still see heavy involvement today with big support from the manufacturers and a more Holden/Ford Battle based on what the manufacturer could design in their road cars? Or am i dreaming? This is the exact reason why Japanese manufacturers are the way they are now - just through being competative at a motorpsort level and their touring cars having the technology of road cars!

#4 _waratah_

_waratah_
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2009 - 03:58 PM

in dirt circuit theres only a couple spread amongst 9 clubs in country SA at the moment, not viable .
i dont want to see them banned just they should be raced in the open wheeler catogory (similar to sprint car in speedway)

Edited by waratah, 01 July 2009 - 03:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users