- - - - -

MRLXSS - The Complete Build Thread

• Please log in to reply
818 replies to this topic

#151 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:27 AM

Hi Matt. I just looked through this thread start to finish. Good work matey. Just what I like to see. Someone just getting in and doing it. No BS!!

Top work. Keep it up.

#152 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:10 AM

Thanks mate! I wish i had as much time as i use to! I miss spending hours on end working on the car! Hopefully soon i can find some more time to spend with the car! Working on it, or driving it!

#153 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:33 AM

Hmmm, as usual, the brain is continually ticking over...

I still dont have a clue which direction to go motorwise...

355 or LS1/2?

355 Pro's

• Relatively Cheap
  • Easy Conversion
  • No need for Engineers
  • All Australian
  • Sounds TOUGH!
355 Con's
  • Not Unique
  • Has its limitations
  • Not super Street Friendly
LS1/2 Pro's
  • Unlimited Potential (Cam + Tune = more power than 355)
  • Modern Technology
  • Super Streetable (To a degree, still have to get the power to the road!)
  • Economical on fuel
  • Lighter engine
LS1/2 Con's
  • Expensive Conversion, lots of headaches
  • Needs to be engineered
  • Will always just sound like a commodore
What do other people think?

I like the idea of a streetable car, i want to be able to drive the car 2-3hrs comfortably, maybe even up to toranafest or something. I like the idea of fitting a TH700 if i went the 355 route having the Over Drive would make a 355 a lot more streetable. What are other peoples opinions?

#154 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:00 AM

After looking into it for the ute, the cheapest way to go for an LS1/LS2 was to buy a donor wreck and swap the running gear.

Crate engines seem like the most expensive way as they dont come with the bolt ons or ECU etc.

Gary wants to go LS1 6 speed in the next year or so (he has to get it finished with the 350 first! but he will get there!)

But if I was doing it into your car, Id have to go for the carb style injection (so centre mount filter) just to fit the look.

Couple chrome bits, relocate the coils, some chrome/metal instead of all the plastic, and bobs your uncle.

#155 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:09 AM

After looking into it for the ute, the cheapest way to go for an LS1/LS2 was to buy a donor wreck and swap the running gear.

Crate engines seem like the most expensive way as they dont come with the bolt ons or ECU etc.

Yeah, I agree on that, then you can make the money back as well, selling other gear off the wreck... I've heard of some people end up getting the motor and trans for free, after they have stripped out a late model SS for parts etc.

With the look of the motor, i'd relocate the coil's and fit some nice rocker covers like LS1LX did on his LS2. Also look into getting a non-plastic-look manifold, just to give it a 'tougher' look.

Does Gary like having his car off the road or something!! LOL

#156 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:46 PM

hahaha, he is dead set hellbent on getting the thing going now.

Everytime he saves up some cash, things come up.

He had a fair whack of money saved, then they bought the house and it all went on stamp duty and mortgage insurance.

Then he saved some more and WHAM! they had Breanna.

Then the wedding etc etc.

Then more recently he had to replace the pool liner and tonnes of stuff for that! so more torry cash gone! haha.

poor bugger cant get a break!

All he really needs is someone to give it a panel beat and paint. Ive got him talking to a mate of mine though, so it should happen soon enough!

I just want a cruising partner!

#157 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:53 PM

You're more than welcome to cruise down here if you want to take the torry for a spin! HAHAHAHA!

#158 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 27 January 2010 - 01:24 PM

My personal opinion is the carby 355 option.

The cons you listed were:

1. Not unique. Well yes and no. It's unique in the sense it's not just another original 308, it's a stroker! I think it would suit your car more than a high-tech setup... the way you have built the car is pure old-school anyway. In a few years time, LS1/LS2 conversions won't be unique either, cos that's the way everyone is going now. So that takes care of point #1.

2. Has its limitations.
Not a problem unless you want a million horsepower... with the sort of engine build you want, you can achieve everything you want with a 355 combo.

3. Not super street friendly. Well that depends on what power level you aim for.... if you want a 10-sec car, yeah it'll be piggy & expensive to drive. But if you want a cruiser with lots of grunt, or even a 12sec / maybe high 11 sec car.... with the right combo it would be a dream to drive. If you don't want a crazy auto with a massive stally, then build a 355 / Tremec TKO 5 speed combo, that would rock, run good numbers, and return ace fuel consumption, plus handle long trips with ease! (Just chat to DRCRUZ!) Otherwise if you do stay auto, just be conservative with the stally, a good auto/stally will still behave awesome on the street and on trips.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Every aspect of going the 355 stroker appeals to me - simple, easy, straight-forward, cheapest, no engineers, easy to un-do if you ever changed your mind etc etc etc.. but most importantly, will sound the angriest and toughest as well, and give the car massive street-cred. Also - you could do it fast too - the car won't be off the road for months or years while you stuff around with a full-on conversion.

Cheers.

Edited by LXCHEV, 27 January 2010 - 01:27 PM.

#159 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 01:38 PM

Yeah Brett, I agree with each of your points.

I also think that the money saved from doing a 355, can be put straight into something else for the car to make it 'unique'.

What's a safe amount of power people get out of my most 355's? 450hp at the fly? So about 220rwkw? I guess that's a good number for a streeter, should get you into the high 11's with the right combo. As long as i can beat 11.77 i'll be happy! HAHA!

I wish i could just come across some $$ to make things happen on my car!

#160 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 01:43 PM

You have a big shed, just duck down the local hydro store and whip yourself up some "money" plants! haha.

hmmmm 12 hour trip in the torana with a dodgy ball joint and 17L/100km......

hmmmm

#161 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 01:46 PM

You have a big shed, just duck down the local hydro store and whip yourself up some "money" plants! haha.

hmmmm 12 hour trip in the torana with a dodgy ball joint and 17L/100km......

hmmmm

I heard those off centre steering wheels to wonders for your back over a long trip to!

#162 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,329 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 January 2010 - 01:52 PM

I reckon if you want something that is fast and not grumpy, then get a new car.

355 would be my recommendation as well, good set of late model heads and a nice carb-style injection setup would get you most of the way there power wise and definitely look the part.

#163 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 01:53 PM

its so you can gangster lean easier to look cooler.

dont you know anything!

#164 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:10 PM

I have only been a in few 355 strokers and while they were nice and powerful etc I still perfer stock stoke
built it right and you will still have 400hp+ but in an economical car that can do 11s and heres the reason I love it so much REVS mine used to love to rev itwould come on the cam at 4000rpm and just scream and sex is only just better then a V8 at 7500+rpm

#165 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:23 PM

I'm just going to go stand over there with brett...
The man knows what he's talking about!!

Oh.. and what's stopping you putting an injection setup on the stroker to enhance that cold start and drivability?

Plenny of options matt :P

#166 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:26 PM

You make a good point Tiny, thanks guys, i think you guys are swaying me to the cheaper option! (How rare is that!)

Might tell my mate with the spare 308 block that i want it!

My life goal is to get MRLXSS doing wheelstands... Or at least to lift a front wheel... Should i be able to do this with a nice 355?

#167 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:39 PM

Lift a front wheel... EASY AS! it's not all about the power (but it helps!!)

You want a wheelstand from it with a 355?

Proper suspension setup
4.5 diff gears
Turbo 350 and 4000 Rpm stall
355 stroker - but build a decent one!
Stick.. 250-300Hp hit of giggle gas up it's bum and....
Hold on! You'll be dangling the front end NO sweat!

I'm pushing 367RWHP (Dynoed) out of the Monaro, 3.7:1 Ratio, 3500stall (ish), it's not huge.. but it's pretty darn close to unweighting that wheel a little!
I think if i stuck 100-150 shot on it off the line ( and could still get traction....) then i'd be hanging the front left.. so i dont see why yours couldnt!

TO be honest though, The strain that would be putting on the chassis/body is going to be a nightmare.. why not buy a properly set up torana race car and stick your engine in that baby? then there is NO compromise!

#168 mr5000

mr5000

chief break-everything

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts
  • Car:77 lx 4door

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:11 PM

im with tiny and brett the 355 seems a heaps better idea u dont wanna jump in the torry and jump in the ute and forget what ya driving haha
also brett pretty much described my build plan
If you don't want a crazy auto with a massive stally, then build a 355 / Tremec TKO 5 speed combo, that would rock, run good numbers, and return ace fuel consumption, plus handle long trips with ease

#169 _evil UC hatch_

_evil UC hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:22 PM

Im agreeing with the 355 option, one of those with EFI will be quite nice, VN SS's are real cheap these days for donor cars, and most of them have T700's behind them, if you dont want to engineer the car you can just raid the heads, electrics and box from the donor as you will be having the motor built anyhow, use a red block.

I'm slowly going the 304 route and plan to stroke it to 355 in the future, I will be using the commodore manifold in my UCk but for an LX I would swap it for a carb manifold and one of those carb looking throttle boddies so it can breathe through the scoup like its supposed to

#170 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 09:11 PM

Lift a front wheel... EASY AS! it's not all about the power (but it helps!!)

You want a wheelstand from it with a 355?

Proper suspension setup
4.5 diff gears
Turbo 350 and 4000 Rpm stall
355 stroker - but build a decent one!
Stick.. 250-300Hp hit of giggle gas up it's bum and....
Hold on! You'll be dangling the front end NO sweat!

I'm pushing 367RWHP (Dynoed) out of the Monaro, 3.7:1 Ratio, 3500stall (ish), it's not huge.. but it's pretty darn close to unweighting that wheel a little!
I think if i stuck 100-150 shot on it off the line ( and could still get traction....) then i'd be hanging the front left.. so i dont see why yours couldnt!

TO be honest though, The strain that would be putting on the chassis/body is going to be a nightmare.. why not buy a properly set up torana race car and stick your engine in that baby? then there is NO compromise!

I like your equations! Alright, after chatting with you guys, and also one of my best mates who just happens to also build race engines... Have pretty much convinced me that the 355 is the smartest thing to do.

If i ended up with a T700, I wouldn't mind about going to a 3.9 or 4.11 ratio diff (Compared to a 3.55 as it is now). Then the 3500-4000 Stall would be awesome as! And driving it on the Highway wouldnt be 'too bad' haha. At this point, traction would be my only enemy! HAHAHA!

My biggest embarrasement at the moment, is having a daily with more power/faster than my weekender! HAHAHA!!

Tiny, i like the giggle gas idea, that is something i'd never really given much thought to! HAHAHAHA!!!

#171 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,160 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 January 2010 - 09:16 PM

Seeing as how you have a Holden V8 fitted already, the 355 and LS are just in completely different ball parks in terms of cost.

I agree with everything that has been said about the 355 above too.

You can lift a wheel in a four cylinder Commodore if you go fast enough around the corner... :tease:

#172 _mumbo_

_mumbo_
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2010 - 09:24 PM

You make a good point Tiny, thanks guys, i think you guys are swaying me to the cheaper option! (How rare is that!)

Might tell my mate with the spare 308 block that i want it!

My life goal is to get MRLXSS doing wheelstands... Or at least to lift a front wheel... Should i be able to do this with a nice 355?

330 holden strocker soon to be replaced with std stroke 308
This is leaving the line at 4000rpm next time it will be 5200rpm
Posted Image

#173 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:32 AM

^^ WOOHOO!!! ^^

:party:

Alrighty, i need to get this happening! Need to find a red block and start saving!

#174 _TJ253_

_TJ253_
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2010 - 01:02 PM

U could sell ure other Hatch and have it all now! id be interested if the price was reasonable :)

#175 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 01:09 PM

U could sell ure other Hatch and have it all now! id be interested if the price was reasonable :)

HAHA, I'll finish that and then sell it! Its worth more complete than as a project!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users