Installing front speakers

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 _LC2250_

_LC2250_
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2006 - 05:49 PM

I'm sure this has been covered but I had a little hunt through some of the forums and couldn't find anything ...

I'm just curious how other people with LC or LJ's have gone about installing speakers in the front. I'm hoping to be able to put in 5" or 6" speakers.

People that have done this? did you make something up or cut something apart ...

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
-Al

#2 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2006 - 06:06 PM

I made up custom kickpannels and build 'doughnuts' out and mounted my speakers that way. Up under the dash sort of. Its a tight fit with the accelorator pedal, but it does fit, and unless you have big feet there is no problem. I had to remove all traces off the kickdown switch cause it fouled on my speakers.

Steve

#3 _LC2250_

_LC2250_
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2006 - 02:35 AM

Ah sweet, thought I'd have to be messing around with the kick panels and making some sorta pod thing. I'm not running an auto so no worries about the kick down trigger thing.

Steve, you wouldn't happen to have a picture of this setup you have? I'm quite curious and very grateful if at all possible.

#4 _high_rpm_

_high_rpm_
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2006 - 11:06 AM

you could also make a console like on www.consoles.com and mount the speakers and deck in that? then there right out the way

#5 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2006 - 11:44 AM

Here are some pictures.

I didn't want to cut the metal, so I did build up a 'POD' like thing if you like. A layer of 3mm MDF the same size as the kickpannels, and then a smaller layer of 12mm MDF and then another smaller layer of 12 and then 3 'doughnuts' of 12mm MDF. The only thing I found was the 3mm MDF was too big to fit into the pinchweld of the door like the orginal kickpannels, so maybe a thinner piece of wood, or a piece of Macenite would work better. They are secured by 'nutsets' (think of popriverts with a thread in them) located in the webs accross the channel just before the door.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also the speakers are in a sealed mount, with a small port (what the wire was comming out in these pictures :fool: ). Since those pictures have been taken I have mounted the crossovers and the tweeters on the kick pannels, mounting the tweeters just above the bottom mounting bolt and faced them accross the car and I reckon it sounds really good. That was the best place I found to mount them. The only problem I had with mounting the crossovers on the kick pannels was I had to relocate the fuse box about 2" to the left, but that was fairly easy.

I am planning to carpet the top half, and paint the bottom half the same colour as the kickpannels were. I don't have any problems with this setup despite how close it is to the accelorator pedal, but then I don't have big feet. If you have big feet this may not be the setup for you.

Hope this has given you some ideas. :spoton:

Steve

Edited by 73LJWhiteSL, 25 March 2006 - 11:48 AM.

#6 _LC2250_

_LC2250_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2006 - 10:07 PM

Hey Steve,

Sorry I didn't reply ... been kinda busy and hadn't even thought about the idea again until now. Those pictures give me a much better idea as to what you mean ... I had some really stupid interpretations in my mind as to what you initially meant but it's clearer now and I also think thats the most ideal place for the speakers to be (practicality/functionality/aesthetics).

The wiring in that car reminds me of my car ... all these teeny tiny little unfinished projects rearing there ugly heads about the place :blink:

Is that your headunit mounted in the glovebox? I may be confusing it with something ... I tried doing that but got pissed off about placement and stuff. Your obviously very conscious of security if it is ...

Thanks a heap for your help so far ... if I have any more questions and you can still be bothered I'll send you a line.

Cheers
-Al

#7 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2006 - 06:20 AM

For better sound, Id be trying to mount the speakers on the doors....youve got a bigger sound box and a more direct route to the listener. Once had the speakers in the kick panels of a torrie.....terrible....your feet really wont appreciate all the trouble youve gone to. Realise its not a simple choice as there are compromises elsewhere......

#8 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2006 - 01:27 PM

LC2250 -> No problems mate, glad to help in whatever why I can.

I also think thats the most ideal place for the speakers to be (practicality/functionality/aesthetics).

After much thinking measuring and contemplation, defiantely this is the best place i believe.

Is that your headunit mounted in the glovebox? I may be confusing it with something ... I tried doing that but got pissed off about placement and stuff. Your obviously very conscious of security if it is ...

My headunit is not mounted in the glovebox, but in a modifed under dash unit from another LJ. This pic may help you to see that ;)

Posted Image

Realise its not a simple choice as there are compromises elsewhere......

Definately agree with you on this one.

However this solutions was the best for me.
My critereia was
1. No cutting of metal anywhere.
2. No cutting of door trim.

Now that you have seen my criteria you will probably understand why I mounted them where i did. The sound isn't perfect, but if i want perfect i will build a house and install a home cinema... you won't get perfect sound in a car, and especaily not a car that is nearly 33 years old.

Steve

#9 _LC2250_

_LC2250_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2006 - 03:10 PM

I'm also dubious about cutting up the door trim as it's in pretty good condition ... agreed that it would probably sound better but I think the underdash/kick panel thing appeals to me because it will be out of the way (not visible) and that I don't have to butcher the car.

The main reason I'm putting these front speakers in is because when you drive with passengers in the back on a highway to have the sound at a bearable volume for the back passengers the front people cannot hear the music at all. I guess I could also fix up the seals on the doors but I doubt I'll be able to greatly reduce it sounding like the occupants are in a wind tunnel. Anyone have an opinion as to whether it's more the door seals or is it more requiring sound deadening for the body?

hmm

Cheers
-Al

#10 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:00 PM

Seals would help, as would deadening, but face it mate, its a 30 something year old car, and the wind going around those cars makes a lot of noise. :tease:

I agree with you about the back speakers, no front speakers and passengers in front and back. Did that in both the Mazda and Torana at the start. You just gotta have front speakers. :spoton:

Steve

#11 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 06:27 PM

Steve, a quick fix for mounting your speaker mount boards under the pinchweld. If you cover them with vinyl, and leave 2-3 cm of vinyl at the trailing edge, you can fold the vinyl under the pinchweld, push the pinchweld over it, and it will stay in place. You can also fit either the original plastic push in clips into the original kick panel mounting holes, or use 5/6 UNC bolts (which will fit perfectly into the factory holes that the original clips used, and tighten up OK)

I did this on my LX, and it worked well.

#12 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2006 - 07:24 PM

gday Dangerous,

The LJ had screw in holes in the bottom front of each of the kick pannels. I sealed the holes up with sealer (without screws you get water in the car from there :fool: ) Other than that LJs have no clips that i could see.

Thanks for the vynal tip. Didn't even think of that one. Might have to have a go and see if i can do that ;)

Steve

#13 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 12:25 PM

gday Dangerous,

The LJ had screw in holes in the bottom front of each of the kick pannels. I sealed the holes up with sealer (without screws you get water in the car from there :fool: ) Other than that LJs have no clips that i could see.

Steve

Yeah, sorry, brain was in LH/LX section, not LC/LJ section :fool: . The LC/LJs only had screws holding the panels in. The LH/LXs had the plastic push in clips.

#14 _gtr-xu1_

_gtr-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2006 - 01:10 PM

whats wrong with the single speeker factory location under the dash?
man those are the days AM radio in mono sound
:tease:

#15 _high_rpm_

_high_rpm_
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2006 - 02:46 PM

put a sub in there OMG ULEH!

#16 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2006 - 08:48 PM

Mine wasn't optioned with the AM Radio :P :tease:

Steve

#17 LC-069

LC-069

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Name:Mark
  • Car:LC GTR & LX SL

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:08 PM

Go to jb hifi, autobarn, etc and get yourself 2 6 or 6 1/2 speaker pots! The ones which are covered in vinyl. Approx. $150, Mount them on the kick panels, (drives side slighty higher to clear the pedals and your foot). Easy to install and look pretty good. Ive got them on my lc. Got a pic if you like.

#18 _LC2250_

_LC2250_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2006 - 02:29 AM

I would love to see a picture ... if you can't post it I'll pm you an email address ...

So many fun ways I can do this ... but meh to that ... I think I want it to be easiest now.

Mine also had no AM radio ... don't know how the old lady that owned the rana before me managed with no music ... or at least sound/noise in the car (noise aside from wind RUSHING through every orrifice of the car).

Cheers
-Al

#19 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2006 - 10:56 AM

Mine also had no AM radio ... don't know how the old lady that owned the rana before me managed with no music

Even a simple am radio back in the mid 70's would have added at least $100 to the price of a car( in todays money quadruple that),more cars were being fitted with them as standard, but during 60's only top of the line models got them.
Most people drove around without them, they were expensive aftermarket too.

Edited by devilsadvocate, 10 April 2006 - 10:59 AM.

#20 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,075 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 April 2006 - 09:00 PM

Nothin wrong with the factory setup. BAHAHAHAHA, ahh, i crack myself up.

i come up with an easy (albeit probably not legal) setup.

Take 1 (one) 2 Way speaker from home entertainment system.
Unplug factory speaker.
plug aforementioned 2 way speaker into wires left over from factory setup.
place 2 way speaker between front seats, and BOP!

RIM

#21 LC-069

LC-069

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Name:Mark
  • Car:LC GTR & LX SL

Posted 15 April 2006 - 11:44 PM

Whats your email LC2250? i will send you some pics.

#22 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,075 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 April 2006 - 08:54 PM

Hey guys. i found a solution to all our problems (except that we cant legally put a 454 in an LJ).

Check out my CarDomain page, the bottom pics are of my current setup.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2288805

It was just a quick job, but it works fairly well.

The speakers are $20 worth, and come with brackets and screws etc. They are outdoor speakers, but work alright for me.

I havent put any under the driver side dash, but you can get smaller speakers (about 150x150mm) that i will fit when i get around to it.

Cheers, RIM

#23 _LC2250_

_LC2250_
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2006 - 02:50 AM

Hey guys. i found a solution to all our problems (except that we cant legally put a 454 in an LJ).

:D

haven't solved all problems then have you!

hmm, thats quite interesting what you've done with the outdoor speaker there ... think it could fit anywhere on the drivers side in a 'balanced' way?

Cheers
-Al

#24 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,075 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 April 2006 - 12:39 PM

Umm. no, not really. Theres really no room under the drivers side dash, not big enough for the speakers i have anyway. I will probably keep theses speakers in, as they can be put right out of the way, not hinting towards having a stereo in the car at all.

Cheers, RIM

#25 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2006 - 07:36 PM

Posted Image

my hot setup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users