• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,075 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 April 2006 - 08:21 PM

Wow, Bomber, that looks really good. I love the body colour dash :D

Not all of us, however, have funds available to do a full retrim. I think my idea (outdoor speakers) works pretty well for those on a pretty tight budget, and they can be hidden pretty well.

RIM

#27 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2006 - 09:00 PM

Not all of us, however, have funds available to do a full retrim. I think my idea (outdoor speakers) works pretty well for those on a pretty tight budget, and they can be hidden pretty well.

Why would you need to retrim the car to put speakers in the doors?
I can understand not wanting to cut into the original trims if the car was being entered in shows as completely original etc, but otherwise think people are being a unnecessarily precious about their original vinyl trims and door inners.
Im sure Bomber's setup sounds heaps better than any speaker setup thats been mooted so far.

#28 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,075 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 April 2006 - 09:19 PM

Devilsadvocate, you can quite obviously see that Bomber Watsons's car has had a retrim. And yes, i know that you dont need to retrim a car to install speakers in the doors, but i know alot of people (like me) won't touch their doortrims due to them being in good condition. (mine only have a couple of tiny cuts.) and you dont need to want to enter it in shows to not cut open your doors, what if you want to keep your car relatively original. Showgoers/judges opinions arent everything.

RIM

can we please not let his get into an argument, the forum is here to give people ideas on installing front sspeakers

#29 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2006 - 12:08 AM

And yes, i know that you dont need to retrim a car to install speakers in the doors,
can we please not let his get into an argument, the forum is here to give people ideas on installing front sspeakers

Rim101:Fair enough, but your implication was that your speakers couldnt go in the doors because the cost of retrimming a car was too expensive, why mention the cost of a total retrim in a thread about speakers otherwise?
As you said, this thread(not forum) is about installing speakers, surely I can have my 10cents worth too?
As I hinted b4, if you aren't going to mount them in the doors, then you are really wasting a lot of time, effort and money doing anything else, the results will be not worth the trouble.
Suggest just go with the centre "radio" speaker(Im assuming there was a position in the standard dash where this was mounted and put a decent one in.....should provide better reproduction than muffled stereo from the footwells and then you can leave the kick panels alone too.)

#30 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2006 - 09:04 PM

Personaly I disagree with the statement thats its a waste of time to install the speakers anywhere other than the front doors.

I agree that installing the speakers in the doors is probably the best place sound wise to install them. But if people don't wanna hack up their door trims (and i tell you what i have seen some really really bad examples of speakers installed in doors with the trims just hacked to clear the speakers) then they have to put them in the kick pannels.

To be honest if you really want perfect sound, don't waste your time on a car, a home cinema setup would make you much happier.

For my time and effort i am very happy with the front speaker mounts. I would recommend it to someone who doesn't want to cut their door up, or wants something a little less obvious.

This is a public forum, and i think you are definately allowed to have your opinion, but I think saying that it is a waste of time to install speakers anywhere other than the doors is a bit of a discouragement to those who don't wanna install it in the doors.

Steve

Edited by 73LJWhiteSL, 18 April 2006 - 09:07 PM.

#31 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 18 April 2006 - 09:33 PM

I made up new kick panels and rear hatch panels for my son's UC cos I didn't want to chop up the original stuff, especially the door trims(SL/E). He's happy with the sound. If you fit 4 speakers and can fade and balance them it will sound great I reckon.

#32 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2006 - 11:31 PM

This is a public forum, and i think you are definately allowed to have your opinion, but I think saying that it is a waste of time to install speakers anywhere other than the doors is a bit of a discouragement to those who don't wanna install it in the doors.

That was the idea....dont think Im doing them any disfavours am I? Im sure everyone can come to their own reasoned decision on what is best for themselves.

To be honest if you really want perfect sound, don't waste your time on a car, a home cinema setup would make you much happier.

Really, Im quite happy with my car and home systems, ....but neither are perfect....but hard to beat. My preferences for sound are that it needs to be good. If it cant be good, then Ill settle for minimum/mediocre and not worry anything in between....just spend as little as possible on the mediocre system to have some noise around. Id either go with the door speakers or just put up with the original radio speaker.

(and i tell you what i have seen some really really bad examples of speakers installed in doors with the trims just hacked to clear the speakers) then they have to put them in the kick pannels.

Surely this would not be the result if you did it Steve? or is this just an observation that there are people out there that do shoddy work? or you think this task is beyond the average person?

Edited by devilsadvocate, 18 April 2006 - 11:33 PM.

#33 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2006 - 04:14 AM

Since this is becoming a bit of a technical discussion now I was doing some more thinking about installing the 'front stage' in LC/LJ...
The main things stopping great sound reproduction (if speakers are mounted in the kick panels) would be lack of volume behind the speakers, suitable positioning because of severe lack of room there (column/wiring/acc pedal and the fuse panel).

I think the way to go might be to mount the speakers in pods in the kick panels but build an extended enclosure from the pod (out of fibreglass) above it underneath the dash so it has enough volume for good reproduction. The size of the enclosure would depend on what speakers were used. Sound deadning inside it would help too...

My 2c

#34 smeer

smeer

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • Car:1970 LC 4-door

Posted 19 April 2006 - 06:31 AM

I had my front speakers in pods screwed onto the orig cardboard kickpanels. The sound was more than adequite, but didnt quite pack the bass punch you'd expect from mid-woofers.

If i can find someone with the tools and skill, I'd very tempted to cut a hole into the body behind the kick panel and weld metal pods on the outside (waterproofing). Put the speaker onto an mdf base, screw it into the wall suspended with firm grommets (for breathability). Now the speaker will sticking out just enough to be flat with the kick panel, seated in its natural position :) No visible external pod, just the speaker facade as you would normally have it.

Edited by smeer, 19 April 2006 - 06:32 AM.

#35 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,075 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 April 2006 - 09:01 PM

I have seen some shocking examples of speakers mounted in doors (My cousins UC), and because i have near perfect door trims theres no chance I'm cutting them open. Kick panels are the next obvious choice, but as Flamenco said, theres not alot of room on the drivers side. I'm reasonably happy with my outdoor speakers mounted under the dash, although because i've only got the original AM radio, i havent been able to test them out properly yet.

RIM

Devilsadvocate, its RIM-010, not RIM-101. Picky, yes, but it loses all meaning if you say RIM-101

:D How awesome does Gup's HQ look?

#36 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2006 - 09:14 PM

^^^ cant help wondering if devils was having a shot lol. I am pretty sure that he knew what he typed. My apologies all round if not ;)

Cheers
Herne

#37 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2006 - 11:40 PM

Devilsadvocate, its RIM-010, not RIM-101. Picky, yes, but it loses all meaning if you say RIM-101

Sorry about that Rimolo, oops�. did it again��. RIM-010, perhaps I�ll start a course �rims in trims 101�, �sounds� like there is a pressing hole for it, perhaps i could find my "niche" in life. :D :rolleyes:

Edited by devilsadvocate, 19 April 2006 - 11:44 PM.

#38 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,075 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 April 2006 - 12:12 PM

RIM-010 is TIM-REHN. Simple Spoonerism.

Rheers, CIM

#39 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2006 - 07:40 PM

(and i tell you what i have seen some really really bad examples of speakers installed in doors with the trims just hacked to clear the speakers) then they have to put them in the kick pannels.

Surely this would not be the result if you did it Steve? or is this just an observation that there are people out there that do shoddy work? or you think this task is beyond the average person?

Not my work. I did install the speakers in the doors of my 76 Mazda 808, but i made new door trims rather than using the the orginal ones.

My earlier attempts at stereo installs leave a lot to be desired, but my later ones are a lot better.

I think quite often people are in a hurry to install stuff, and i won't say that all car stereo installers are shoddy, but there is a small percentage of people who are more interested in getting money than doing a job that will last or is practical.

I don't think it is beyond the average person to install speakers in the doors, however care and forethought is necessary. All it means is measuring and making sure that the speakers fit and that they will have adequat support. And taking your time on the cutting and the installing. Nothing makes a sloppy job like trying to do it in a hurry.

Steve

#40 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2006 - 08:16 PM

guy's, lets get one thing clear. to do four doors costs me about $50. those doors are my first go at trimming, i've done five cars since.

the material i use is $5.50 a meter. usualy need about 1.5-2 of the base color and a meter or so of the highlight color. i use 6mm foam underneath it, which costs about $20 for enough to do all the doors. costs $10 for a litre of spray adehisive from the local auto trimmers, and if you have to make the trims again costs about $12 for enough masonite to make all the trims. this and a few hours stuffing around is all you need.

i have done some real nice looking doors, heres some picks of some of the ones i have done.
Posted Image
thats my torana with the old speakers
Posted Image
some i did for a mates meteore. the highlighted ford we did by cutting it out in cardboard and gluing it to the trim. then put the foam amd material over it. piss easy.
Posted Image
and in this one you can kinda see the trims in my ute. recognize the speakers :P

in short with a bit of practice and not much cash you can make your own masterpeices. stuf paying a trimmer $200 to do it.

#41 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2006 - 04:17 PM

He wants the speakers in the kick panels though! Agree with you about making your own door trims, easier to do the more times you do it and a lot cheaper than a trimmer...

#42 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 23 April 2006 - 01:54 AM

It comes with tradesmanship and experience over time.

#43 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2006 - 03:21 PM

i was just proving a point :P

#44 shanegtr

shanegtr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Name:Shane
  • Car:LJ 2 door
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 April 2006 - 09:24 AM

in short with a bit of practice and not much cash you can make your own masterpeices. stuf paying a trimmer $200 to do it.

I suppose it depends on the cost of the material your using. By the way what is the material that you have used on your door trims?

#45 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2006 - 07:05 PM

crushed panne velvet, available from spotlight, lincraft, ect. all the big dressmakers places should have it. it hasn't faded yet, seems fairly strong to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users