What techniques to use to get more depth in finish

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 _Eddie_

_Eddie_
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2006 - 06:21 PM

Hey everyone, what are some methods to get a deeper finish in the paint? I am doing a very bright colour which I don't think has really satisfied me. It just seems to lack depth and character. It needs more vibrance? What I'd like to know are two things: 1.) is: What you can do in the painting procedure to give it more depth? Right now I am trying Pete's technique which has been working good: Spray 2-3 coats then sand with 1500, repeat through to the clears and on the last clear coat add 10% retarder. So far so good, it really makes the panel straight and flat as tack. Anything else more I could do?

2.) Is (and probably more important here): What can you do to the paint colour itself? 2 paint shops I've spoken to said metallic wouldn't be that worth as it doesn't show up prominently in the bright colour I have. One suggested you use pearls and mix other colours into the paint. You can add another primary colour to your top coat or you can mix, say, a white in the clear. These were ideas thrown around but you really have to see the results first on a test plate. Would someone go through the pearl process a little more puh-lease?? If I upload a picture of my paint colour here, would some of you more 'paint-minded' folk make a few suggestions on what I can do?

Sweet? Sweeeet. :deal:

#2 _Pete_

_Pete_
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2006 - 10:53 PM

What colour are you actually painting Eddie? is it a solid colour? metallic? pearl?

Post up a pic of the colour if you like, if not, if we know what it is then we can work out how to get the result your after.

#3 _Eddie_

_Eddie_
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2006 - 11:18 AM

Hi Pete, the colour is a solid yellow. It's more towards the green end of the spectrum so it's almost fluro. I'll post a pic here Monday night when I get the digital camera. The best I can describe it is it's kinda like a piss colour when you take a slash in the morning after you've had a few multi-vitamin tablets the night before. Real bright and glowing

#4 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2006 - 11:32 AM

Polish and clear coats will give the depth. Have you tried finishing a sample panel, i.e. sheet metal?

#5 _Pete_

_Pete_
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2006 - 12:46 PM

The technique you've been using will end up (after its all buffed etc) with a nice result.

I'd suggest just getting as much paint on as you can, you could also try mixing your last colour coats half colour/half clear then rub those down with something finer than 1500 (say 1800-2000) then lay on a couple of nice wet coats of clear with a touch more retarder in the mix (again dont go overboard with it).

Then its just a matter of doing all the final polishing as Yella suggests. Use a range of cutting compounds and different products to bring out that deep gloss your chasing. Start with the coarser stuff to get it flat then work up into the finer stuff to bring out the gloss more.

Adding a pearl overlay which i think your talking about, will change the look of the colour and i'm not sure thats what your chasing, it really wont brighten up the colour it will just give it a different look on the side but may "dirty/dull" the colour on the face when you look at it front on. Pearl overlay takes a little practice to get even coverage without building up on edges etc so it might pay to spray out a test panel first.

If it was mine i'd leave it the solid colour and concentrate on getting your finish and gloss looking good as it sounds like the colour you've chosed doesnt need any help :spoton:

#6 _Eddie_

_Eddie_
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2006 - 04:13 PM

Ok cool, thanks for that. One more thing... do you sand after the last colour coat before you put the clear on or is it better to leave it glossed?

Meanwhile, my gun is being gay, I think the cap's farked. The overlap is all wrong and I'm getting streaks on my flat surfaces... ie the roof. I think I'll have to change the cap or get another gun.

Hows your old girl going Pete, what colour did you choose in the end?

#7 _BLOWN V6HATCH_

_BLOWN V6HATCH_
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2006 - 09:26 PM

Can i ask a question? Are we talking about acrylic or 2 pack here? In my opinion the gloss/depth of the paint has a lot to do with the product you are using, better products will give a lot better gloss level. Generally light colors dont lend themselves to really good depth where as darker & metallic colors give a lot better depth and look glosier. If using acrylic make sure you put plenty of clear on so you have plenty to rub back and buff and get a really good gloss. One trick to do with acrylic is to put 2 pack reducer in with the clear, this gives you a lot better finish off the gun so there is not so much effort in the rubbing & buffing and also acts as a retarder.

#8 _Pete_

_Pete_
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 04:18 PM

You can sand the last coats before the clear if you like, but if you've sanded between coats most of the way you could just lay on the last couple of coats of clear over the last colour coats after they've flashed off, dont wait a couple of days after the colour coats otherwise you will have to sand them.

With your gun i'd be guessing your air cap and or nozzle is blocked probably from paint build-up, unscrew the air cap, soak it in some thinners and give a clean with your gun cleaning brush (or an old tooth brush) and a blow out with some compressed air, acrylic has a tendency to build up in the cap. If its clean and your still havin trouble id suggest playing with your settings to try and rectify it.

My LX has been sent to the shed, with a little one just about ready to be popped out the torana has been de-registered and put back into the resto queue probably behind my brothers Hilux (lowlux thingy) and my Morris 850 restoration, I've picked up a V8 for it to replace the 6cyl and its going to receive a new look, wheels and colour change to Ultra Blue (my fav torana colour), problem is i've run out of shed space and all im doing now is tripping over stuff!!!! Ah well things could be worse :spoton:

#9 _Eddie_

_Eddie_
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:34 PM

Pictures as promised:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Can you paint 2 pack over acrylic?

#10 _Pete_

_Pete_
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:46 PM

You can paint 2pack over whatever you like.....it just wont look any good or will last any length of time on an unstable base like acrylic.

If you want to go to the trouble of a 2pack respray you really should be either painting over an existing good condition 2pack surface thats prepared or go bare metal and use a 2pack system the whole way.

I like your colour choice i dont think it needs any help in regards to brightening etc :spoton:

And your finish off the gun looks very reasonable for a "gay gun" as you put it, looks good keep at it, i think it will look extremely nice once you've finished and its all put together and buffed out. You've done well and it looks like you haven't cut any corners, thats the only way to a nice finish!!.

good work!!!

#11 _jimjet61_

_jimjet61_
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:10 PM

Your spot on there Pete and the gun settings must be pretty close coz there isn't overspray all over the shed.

#12 _Eddie_

_Eddie_
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:19 PM

Thank you for the positive words there and coming from a panel beater I can't complain much then hey?? It's taken 7 months so far to get here, I'll be glad to see it finished - I think I am contracting some form poisoning from all the chemicals I'm breathing. I think I am going to die early. *COugh* Ha ha ah well shit happens.

Good luck with your newborn if that's what you meant by, " just about ready to be popped out" - I hope he/she pops out good then! ? :) Make sure you send us the photos!

#13 _twinturbotorana_

_twinturbotorana_
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2006 - 11:36 PM

who did u say was a panel beater?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users