Ouch!!

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 _HB1200_

_HB1200_
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2006 - 06:44 PM

A whole truck re-tread casing popped off a tanker as it was going past me in the opposite direction (in a 100km/h zone). I've hit some small bits of rubber over the years but I never expected this. The damage wasn't too bad but it sure scared the sh#t out of me.

Posted Image

Any one else had this happen to them?

HB1200

#2 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 March 2006 - 06:47 PM

Argh, what a bloody shame. Why couldn't it happen to a Commodore : /

#3 _TUFF_

_TUFF_
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2006 - 06:50 PM

You are damn lucky that was'nt ur windscreen coz they aint lite! I was driving behind a truck on the freeway when a piece of rubber flew over the roof of the work ute i changed lanes pretty quicky.

tuff

#4 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 24 March 2006 - 07:25 PM

flashback of lowndseys climb up the mount last year!!

Glad no one was hurt other than your pride and joy!!

#5 _svenikus_

_svenikus_
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2006 - 07:44 PM

Glad no one got hurt and not too much damage!

Theoretically, If you saw what truck it was, what would the chances be of tracking them down and getting them to pay the damage? or is it something you have to cop on the chin?

#6 _brett_32i_

_brett_32i_
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2006 - 08:26 PM

Why couldn't it happen to a Commodore : /

hey! it happened to me when i had my vlt.
weekend after i repaired my group a bar and i ran over one of the fu(kers on the sth eastern.
wasnt happy!!

#7 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 March 2006 - 08:32 PM

Ouch! Those Group A bars are expensive. That's a shame too, but I still hold my previous statement.

#8 _HB1200_

_HB1200_
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2006 - 08:35 PM

My brother picked me up and we found the tanker a couple km away. The driver was chaining up the axle in question so he could get out of there. I got the truck details and about 6 months later (after much pestering) the trucking company fixed my car.

#9 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 March 2006 - 09:46 PM

faaark, that's lucky.

#10 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 08:31 AM

hope you got the truck rego

#11 _user asked to be removed_

_user asked to be removed_
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2006 - 08:13 PM

My mums was driving her car behind a truck and the plaster that was on the truck fell off and cracked her windscreen/roof. I have nothing against truck drivers... just idiots carrying onstable loads!

*Liam :banghead:

#12 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 08:21 PM

I remember a spate of deaths in VIC around 20 years ago from unsecured bricks on trucks. I personally know of one couple that were on their way to a funeral. The husband copped a brick in the face at 100km/hr. Leave the rest up to your imagination. His wife lived.

#13 _user asked to be removed_

_user asked to be removed_
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2006 - 09:55 PM

Thats Terrible

#14 _HB1200_

_HB1200_
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2006 - 11:39 PM

Nasty.

#15 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 07:39 AM

Any truck needs to treated with respect by the other road users and the driver/owners.

Time and time again I have seen dump trucks overloaded to the point that the crap is purched above the edge of the truck bin lip. Waiting for a sudden jolt for it to drop off. And yes you pricks it does happen, a couple of kilos to a few hundred kilos at a time. Sometimes you can follow the path they travel from work site to dump by the trail.

The thing is these operators know whats happening, a tyre is hard to pick as to when it is going to fail but a bad load is obvious.

The thing is the law does not give a crap about damaged property, we have to wait for someone to be killed for things to happen. If there is no income from it like speeding the law is not interested.

Please not I said the "law" not cops as some do give a shit but their priorities are set by others.

#16 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 26 March 2006 - 09:24 AM

You guys are right... Thats why there are fines for uncovered and usecured loads, unfortuntely tehyre not always enforced to teh level they should be!

Ive dealt with a reasonable ammount of truckies and trucking companies working on building sites, and i find its the good guys who get done, while somehow teh cowboys get away with it. The cowboys are the ones that cause the dramas and give everyone a bad name...

Shitty situation.

#17 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 12:00 PM

I coped a stone off the top of a dump truck coming the other way (@90KPH) that put a massive crack in my front windscreen. I never saw the company or rego or anything it all happened to quick, and there was too much traffic for me to turn around and chase the truck.

$90 for a new windscreen seal (Mine was stuffed)
$180 for new windscreen

Total $270 (and that with with the RACV show your card and save scheme)

Not Happy Jan! :furious:

Steve

Edited by 73LJWhiteSL, 26 March 2006 - 12:01 PM.

#18 _kaz from adelaide_

_kaz from adelaide_
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 05:09 PM

i seem to be a magnet for things like this. Yrs ago i was sittin at the toll gate intersection waiting 2 turn right onto portrush rd, a semi came thru lights from portrush rd to go up freeway. His load shifted (aircondit parts) and the whole truck tiped onto its side. It was coming at me, i was on a motor bike and reflexes made me jump off the bike and i landed in the middle of the next lane. Lucky 4 me there wasn't anyone coming down freeway as i would have been run over.

If i was in a car i would have been dead as the back end of the trailer just landed past the rear of my bike, had i'd been in a car it would have landed right on driver side roof.
I still cant sit comfortably at that intersection. The truck co paid for damages on bike, truckie had a few scratches and i was in maga shock. even got on the news.

I had a cement truck infront of me on the freeway and a big chunk of concrete came from it and hit RUBY!!!!!! on the screen seal and chipped the glass. I knew he would be turning off at hahndorf so i took off ahead of him and pulled over. Truckie stopped, I went rite off at him. He said oh it couldn't have been from me as i cleaned my truck. Well sheeeet I saw the damn piece come from his truck, i was so mad.

#19 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2006 - 06:46 PM

A whole truck re-tread casing popped off a tanker as it was going past me in the opposite direction (in a 100km/h zone). I've hit some small bits of rubber over the years but I never expected this. The damage wasn't too bad but it sure scared the sh#t out of me.

Liability in these matters lie with the tyre retread company. If you kept the offending item ( unlikely I'd say ) you could make a claim against the retreading firm.

#20 _dave720gtr_

_dave720gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2006 - 06:55 PM

HOW WOULD YOU LIKE A TRUCK BRAKE DRUM THROUGH YOUR WIND
SCREEN Thats what just happened two a chap a in bris hit him in the chest
trucky keped going nun the wiser it was just on tonights news

#21 smeer

smeer

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • Car:1970 LC 4-door

Posted 30 March 2006 - 07:29 PM

I've done a lot of country driving both in my torrie and in other cars (infact, drove from adelaide to canberra and back in my torrie) and been very lucky with trucks, stones and other mess. A few chips here and there I think. Although, i was driven off the road by a semi who didnt indicate. Lucky the stones from that incident didn't damage my paint work.

I will stay clear of any trucks and pass them at speed where possible.

Edited by smeer, 30 March 2006 - 07:30 PM.

#22 _HB1200_

_HB1200_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2006 - 07:33 PM

Liability in these matters lie with the tyre retread company. If you kept the offending item ( unlikely I'd say ) you could make a claim against the retreading firm.

The re-tread company was liable but to the tyre dealer, tyre dealer was liable to trucking company and so-on. I kept the casing and took photos etc but the trucking company demanded it back to recoupe damages from the tyre company. I'm not sure if thats the way liability works but it was the trucking companies insurrer who paid for my repairs.

HB1200

#23 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2006 - 07:54 PM

I spent 21 years in the tyre industry. Dunlop's policy is/was:

" if our product damages your vehicle, we are liable ".

End of story.

#24 _HB1200_

_HB1200_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2006 - 08:41 PM

Fair enough, I was just happy someone other than me paid for the repairs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users