Photo

My latest project (glutton for punishment)

• Please log in to reply
376 replies to this topic

#101 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:39 AM

So the basic plan is this-

Going to hunt around for a cheap 308 to rebuild and throw a gas grind cam at it and have a nice fresh engine to put around with eventually.

Hoping to get it on the road in under 2 months from next weekend.

:spoton:

Decided the tickled 308 option isnt what we want from the ute now too.

going to start poking around and see if I can find a decent price on a LSX engine, and see whats available conversion wise to fit the ute.

Was thinking of going down the finding a wrecked VX SS route and using the bits from it, straight over onto the ute. Might end up cheaper in the long run (would have all the aircon/ Power steering bits etc) but from memory its not worth spending the time to try and adapt the brakes and crap from it?

Would mean going back to Auto, but that I can handle.

Im off to google LS1 powered HQ-WBs.

HAHA!

Me Personally... 308, straight gas research and be happy with it... Source an A/C unit from a stato and enjoy! Good tint on the windows, white car etc etc... Will be no problems....

#102 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 10:00 AM

plans always change, and with the price of LSX engines these days, and the availability of parts (being on very good terms with auto electrician friends helps too)

LS1 is going to be more fuel efficient and deliver more power then the 308 would, its a fair bit more stuffing around but end results would be worth it.

#103 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 10:03 AM

Have a read of gen3torries thread Re LS1 conversions... It ain't cheap! (I can see where u are coming from though, it would be the perfect set up!) Also remember that the LS1's, if you want them on gas require a very expensive/unique set-up.

What about an injected 5L, best of both worlds, and parts for the conversion would be easier to come by, and if you do it right, no need for an engineers certificate. You can put it on Gas Research and have a very very cheap car to drive to work!

#104 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:47 AM

Hanging some panels on the car tonight. doing some fine bogwork for a few pin holes, going to give it a blocking this weekend, final rub next weekend (satdy) and painted satdy arvo.

Im going to have to look at finding another fuel tank for the thing, where the pickup sits has been metal puttied to stop a leak (well thats what it looks like) its stopped the leak, but I dont really trust it.

Have had a chat with a few people in regards to the LS1 conversion and its definitely the route I want to go with it. Hopefully can start sorting it out by mid next year (find and buy a wreck, design fuel system, etc etc)

Its going to be great to have 2 cars again, I dont know how people live with just one car (daily) between two people, Karlie catches a train home from work (and half way to work) but it still gets to be a pain in the bum on weekends and nights!

Dog is getting a semi lounge/padded section in the back too, cant have the ol' girl sliding around!

#105 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:36 AM

panels are on and aligned.

only one area where we have a problem, our reparied gaurds :(

They fit and bolt up, but it seems someone has repaired the body of the car at some stage aswell which combined with the slight difference in the rares panels, has left a bit of a gap.

Im going to work on it a bit and see what I can do to fix it a little, but doors line up, nose cone lines up etc.

I have uni exams in a few weeks, so it might not get painted for a couple weeks now (really need to spend some study time, I dont want to pay 2k for a subject just to fail it!)

The radiator has a leak too, seems its coming from one of the cores. So its off to a mates shop to get recored, probably a good idea anyway considering its going to get dailied.

pics tomorrow.

#106 DanWA

DanWA

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts
  • Car:LS1 LX 4 Door

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:46 AM

Owch gotta hate dodgy previous repairs, your doing really well though mate!

#107 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:50 AM

Did you trial fit the guard to the car with the lower section "tacked" on before fully welding it? Even when using sections cut from genuine panels, it's always a good idea to make sure it all lines up before fully welding the section in. Especially when using sections from places like Rare Spares. They are generally pretty good but as with most any repro or aftermarket part, they are rarely the exact shape etc as the genuine artical. I always do large repairs on guards while they are bolted to the car, then remove them for final refinishing. Ask Gary about the HQ one tonner i had. I repaired the guards & nose cone off the car including welding up a few cracks, rust spots etc. They looked good in primer but they didn't line up too well once i bolted them to the car. Thing was they actually aligned better on the car before i started repairing them. Lesson learned i guess.

#108 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 October 2009 - 06:17 PM

They never fit right when you start changing around guards etc from different vehicles that have been in place for 30 years. Start again at the firewall and get vicious with it, they need a fair bit of persuasion to move into line but will turn out fine with a bit of bending and shimming.

#109 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2009 - 07:18 PM

Very true! Even on newer cars like VX Commodores, second hand panels from the same model don't always fit as well as the originals & sometimes a little persuasion is needed. Put six or seven VX or VZ Commodores together in a row & chances are no two will have identical panel alignment & these cars were built by CAD CAM, Computer Aided Design-Computer Aided Manufacture.

#110 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 07:49 AM

I shortcutted the trial fitting process, project was behind and the ute was at my house, while the tools etc for panel work are all at the old mans house.

Its not overly horrible though.

I tried fitting one of the spare gaurds (that came with the car) and the gap is still off, so its a combination of the car and my panel work, but yeah, shell be right, its no show car!

Im very happy with the nosecone/gaurd alignment though, it matches up pretty much perfect, not bad for a bitsa!

#111 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 02:29 PM

I forgot to grab photos of it out of the shed, but you get the idea-

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

definitely getting there!

got to dig out and silver the bonnet catch, bonnet is getting de-ox-it ed and primed soon aswell.

Getting closer!

Also!

I stuffed up and forgot to paint the plenum before we fitted the panels, so just going to undo the firewall end und chock it out enough to blow some paint in there.

#112 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 11:26 AM

Posted Image

#113 Neils LX

Neils LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts
  • Name:a

Posted 02 November 2009 - 07:58 PM

Hi
Your utes looks heaps better now. Once you get it on the road you shall always find a use for it.
Are you going to fit GTS flutes as they would set it off with the prem front?
Chears Neil

Edited by Neils LX, 02 November 2009 - 07:59 PM.

#114 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 09:56 AM

no to the GTS flutes (well for now anyway)

Painting the ute on sunday, using a friends booth, and already bought the paint months ago (so its not costing me anything at this stage)

wont be registered until after Xmas, stupid christmas and stealing all the extra dollars.

#115 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 10:01 AM

Good Luck!

Are you laying the paint? Or is your mate... Looking forward to seeing how it comes up.

The money drain we refer to as Christmas is hard isnt it!

#116 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 10:28 AM

Ray is doing the body, im doing the bonnet and tailgate. (he is actually a suprisingly good painter for a mechanic/muffler man)

Im keen just to cancel christmas this year.

#117 mr5000

mr5000

chief break-everything

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts
  • Car:77 lx 4door

Posted 19 November 2009 - 07:24 PM

you and me both i vote mass wide xmas strike

#118 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 12:31 PM

Well car didnt get painted a couple weeks ago (just wernt ready and didnt have enough time)

But its all rubbed now, going to paint shop tomorrow night, masking on friday night, painting early saturday morning.

Should be back at my house by sunday and I'll start throwing bits and pieces back together.

Things I still need to get done or buy-

New windscreen + installed
Retrim front bench seat
Hoodlining
Buy carpet
buy lowering blocks

Things to do-
install lowering blocks
fix P/S ball joint (have a new one)
Swap dash cluster for GTS cluster
swap lower dash for perfect black one
swap cracked/shitty dashpad for perfect black one

Get tyres swapped over
check out brakes
sort out which headlights im going to use +install

Drop and replace Gbox fluid and diff fluid.

Im sure there are going to be tonnes more things pop up, but thats about it for now.

Im having 2 weeks off over christmas, so hopefully I can get this finished.

Im looking into spraying the inside of the tray with some "ute liner" stuff, ends up with a finish similar to the plastic tub liners and is pretty durable.

I just think the dog is going to need some more grip in there!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by orangeLJ, 02 December 2009 - 12:33 PM.

#119 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2009 - 12:55 PM

Good to see you have rocking horse to play on when you are waiting for the paint to flash off mate.

What colour hood lining are you after? I picked up a black one off ebay (new). The dude spelled Holden incorrectly so I got it fairly cheap with the intention of selling it for more later. If you want it all I will ask for it is what I paid (about $50 from memory).

#120 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 01:49 PM

To suit HX ute tony?

Can you flick me a piccy? what sort of grain is it?

Definitely interested in saving some $$ wherever I can, thanks mate!

As for the rocking horse, Ive had it since I was about 2! its lived in the roof at my parents joint for the last 5 years, but they were getting insulation put in, so all the crap had to come out!

Im going to spray the ute back with this-

http://ppcco.com.au/kits7.htm

I can get it $130 US for a kit including a spray gun to use with it (plus postage)

comes out like this-

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by orangeLJ, 02 December 2009 - 01:50 PM.

#121 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 December 2009 - 08:36 PM

Those two-pot urethane liners look good and are reasonably durable but still a bit slippery (hard finish), depending on what you plan on carrying a big rubber mat may offer more traction.

Looking forward to paint!

#122 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:58 AM

Well its painted.

Few dramas with the first coat going on, bloody tidal wave in the PS rear 1/4 panel, few little runs here and there (Ray mixed the paint up a bit wet)

4 coats all up, rest layed down fine.

Just going to but and buff the side panels to get rid of the runs and make it all uniform, then she whould be right.

also, few dings showed up that I hadnt noticed (that bit doesnt worry me that much, was never meant to be perfect)

But its white and its coming home tonight.

Will grab the photos off my phone and throw them up later.

#123 _user asked to be removed_

_user asked to be removed_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2010 - 08:21 PM

G'day mate,

I was just interested to know how it's all comming along? Any updates?

Take it easy.

#124 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 07:12 AM

Hey Liam,

Its white, sitting under the carport in my driveway at the moment!

Ive got some photos somewhere here.

Havent really touched it since before chrissy though, just spent some time with Karlie and did the relaxing thing over the 2 weeks I had off.

Will get stuck into it this week though.

#125 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 04 January 2010 - 04:51 PM

Chris,
I didnt see any "proof coat" when you were rubbing back the primer?

When we shot the monaro we did the primer then a "speckle coat" of GMH black which you then rub down again untill ALL the black is rubbed off leaving a dead flat finish!

Maybe that's why a few low spots showed up after the paint?

Anyway good on you! get it finished and get driving!

Cheers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users