Photo

Pulled out of a 19 year time capsule

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 WhaleOilBeefHooked

WhaleOilBeefHooked

Lord Humungus The Ayatolla of Rock N Rolla.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:LJ GTR

Posted 15 July 2009 - 12:47 PM

Hi fellow torana nutters & guru's. First time & wet behind the ears when it comes to online forums.. But I had the nouse to buy this LJ in nov. 84 & just retrieved from dry / dark storage in The Mexican countryside. Some 1900 k's round trip from Sydney home, where she now resides.. In need of EXPERT & HONEST ADVICE from a fellow xu owner and pref. nsw club member who could inspect and direct me along the right path.. Any help provided will be greatly appreciated.. .. Fingers crossed...

PLEASE NOTE :: Tyre Kickers Need Not apply

#2 Litre8

Litre8

Thrillseeker

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts
  • Name:Howard
  • Car:1976 LX SLR8000

Posted 15 July 2009 - 01:01 PM

So you are following the path of full restoration?

#3 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 01:16 PM

Pictures?

If its the car in your avatar, Im very intrigued!

#4 WhaleOilBeefHooked

WhaleOilBeefHooked

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 01:29 PM

So you are following the path of full restoration?

Hi Litre8, I certainly hope to be heading down the restoration highway, As the past 23+ years of storing her safely sure have co$t both of us... Thanks for your help with directions to posting, Now all I need is EXPERT & HONEST ADVICE prior to lifting a spanner... Cheers all...

#5 WhaleOilBeefHooked

WhaleOilBeefHooked

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 01:32 PM

Pictures?

If its the car in your avatar, Im very intrigued!

PERSONAL PHOTO = 85.... AVATAR PHOTO = 2009...

#6 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2009 - 01:41 PM

so what sort of advice etc. are you after exactly ??, authenticity for starters I am guessing ??

throw up some photos and numbers on tags etc. that would be a good place to start.

#7 WhaleOilBeefHooked

WhaleOilBeefHooked

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 02:02 PM

so what sort of advice etc. are you after exactly ??, authenticity for starters I am guessing ??

throw up some photos and numbers on tags etc. that would be a good place to start.

Hi and yes like most owners authenticity is important prior to rebuild... Did I mention the past 23+ years have taken their toll... ie:: Some lowlife mongrel firstly removed her heart and soul / engine & gearbox from locked garage and maybe was the same perp who returned years later to completely strip the 3 tags from her :o(

Have rego papers from 83, 84, 85 & 86 and without a space for the VIN number to be printed it's going to be difficult I know, But I prey not impossible...
It once containted all the genuine bits, and other than the above rest is still here...

#8 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2009 - 02:08 PM

wow.. thats quite a feet sneaking away with an engine, gearbox and tags !! there are quite a few threads on here if you search on identifying an XU-1 without the tags... the body number would be a good start.. if they didnt oxy it out ! throw up some photos of whats left and I am sure someone will be able to give you some feedback. Also post the numbers you do have from the rego papers as the engine number alone may be enough to identify the VIN number..

#9 WhaleOilBeefHooked

WhaleOilBeefHooked

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 02:26 PM

wow.. thats quite a feet sneaking away with an engine, gearbox and tags !! there are quite a few threads on here if you search on identifying an XU-1 without the tags... the body number would be a good start.. if they didnt oxy it out ! throw up some photos of whats left and I am sure someone will be able to give you some feedback. Also post the numbers you do have from the rego papers as the engine number alone may be enough to identify the VIN number..

Hi and many thanks for your advice.. Yes the chassis number is thankfully still there, And I also have the engine number.. If you would be so kind asto please email me directly at above add. it would be appreciated... From the past 2 weeks discoveries would much prefer personal contact.. Please No Disrespect To Any Other Members...

#10 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2009 - 02:50 PM

No probs, But i am not the best person to be asking about this sort of thing, there are far more knowledgable members on here...

just throw up the numbers you have and I am sure you will get some responses. Not much point keeping the number secret when it has been stolen !?

#11 WhaleOilBeefHooked

WhaleOilBeefHooked

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 03:43 PM

No probs, But i am not the best person to be asking about this sort of thing, there are far more knowledgable members on here...

just throw up the numbers you have and I am sure you will get some responses. Not much point keeping the number secret when it has been stolen !?

Many Thanks for all your time and efforts to help me Skapinad...

Chassis Number : ALJ00208B.
Been well informed that Engine Number : NL9185 was nasco replacement.

EEEKKK no easy task ahead, but hey there's 6 tail lights shining brightly :cry: at the end of tunnel...
and with some expert advice from a fellow NSW owner / member " in Thu Know " could be made a little easier...

#12 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts
  • Car:ɐuɐɹoʇ

Posted 15 July 2009 - 05:13 PM

Hi

Chassis Number ALJ00208B is a very early Brisbane build. Probably the first 50 or so LJ XU-1s. The NL replacement motor is late (probably 1973 or 1974) but was an incorrect replacement for an XU-1 (should be NP prefix).

Cheers

Bazza

#13 WhaleOilBeefHooked

WhaleOilBeefHooked

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 06:46 PM

Hi

Chassis Number ALJ00208B is a very early Brisbane build. Probably the first 50 or so LJ XU-1s. The NL replacement motor is late (probably 1973 or 1974) but was an incorrect replacement for an XU-1 (should be NP prefix).

Cheers

Bazza

Thanks Bazza, Probably spend the next few months / years searching & trying to track down it's history, only to find out in the end it's a Vauxhal Viva :fool:

So who here on this forum is knowledgeable enough to identify from chassis number only exactly what it is etc. ??? would appreciate hearin from ya...

#14 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 15 July 2009 - 06:57 PM

I would have got the numbers run to see if a car has been rebirthed using them...then I would have chased it from there probably legally.

#15 _hg350_

_hg350_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2009 - 08:39 PM

Hi

Cheers

Bazza

Geez Barry how did you come up with that ?

With a Chassis number that low it would have to be the first or second XU1. XU1 # 50 would have a much higher chassis number.

To be honest this is the exact reason why I died when the bloody fiche ended up on Ebay, now everyone thinks they can OK a car.

I dont mean to be rude to anyone, but just because everyone has copies of the paper work, doesnt mean they know how to read it.

There was a hell of a lot more to the chassis numbers than you know.

I am sitting here looking at the fiche, and I am pretty sure that this car will be a GTR at best, there were far too few XU1's built that could have a chassis number that low. I could be wrong and if I am this car will be within the first 3 built. But you are way off when you give a figure of one of the first 50

Once again I am sorry as I know this will seem rude, but I can only say it,as it is.

Millissa (the bitch is back)

Edited by hg350, 15 July 2009 - 08:43 PM.

#16 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 15 July 2009 - 08:52 PM

^^^ go get em...lol

#17 dpz

dpz

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 08:55 PM

I think Bazza does a top job of helping people.

#18 Zook

Zook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 08:57 PM

LOL!! It's good to have you back. :D

#19 LC69GTR

LC69GTR

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:00 PM

Sorry to steal your thread WHALEOILBEEFHOOKED but!!!

Once again I am sorry as I know this will seem rude

Your right it is rude

I think Bazza has done a great job and he is always here ready to help people out with questions when other people have not been here.
About time this sticky got closed or updated with Bazza's details

#20 _hg350_

_hg350_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:02 PM

I think Bazza does a top job of helping people.

I totally agree.

BUT I stand by what I say.

#21 _hg350_

_hg350_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:06 PM

Sorry to steal your thread WHALEOILBEEFHOOKED but!!!

Your right it is rude

I think Bazza has done a great job and he is always here ready to help people out with questions when other people have not been here.
About time this sticky got closed or updated with Bazza's details

Nowhere did I say that he hasnt done a great job. If you feel that being honest and pointing out a mistake is rude, than so be it.

#22 dpz

dpz

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:18 PM

Nowhere did I say that he hasnt done a great job. If you feel that being honest and pointing out a mistake is rude, than so be it.

There's ways to put things.... lets face it... you dont have the knack for it... especially when you sign of with "the bitch is back"
Kinda puts a bitchy spin on everything you have just said.

Sounds like you're pissed that everyone has a copy of the numbers.
Try to be a little more constructive or dont post. I for one will ignore you from now on.

Cheers

#23 _hg350_

_hg350_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:22 PM

There's ways to put things.... lets face it... you dont have the knack for it... especially when you sign of with "the bitch is back"
Kinda puts a bitchy spin on everything you have just said.

Sounds like you're pissed that everyone has a copy of the numbers.
Try to be a little more constructive or dont post. I for one will ignore you from now on.

Cheers

Anyone who actually knows me, will know the comment was said tongue in cheek.
But you can take it what ever way you wish

#24 WhaleOilBeefHooked

WhaleOilBeefHooked

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:25 PM

Hi all, WhaleOilBeefHooked is saying Please don't argue on my behalf... I have been told a very difficult task to identify without the VIN, but I am keeping possative with the hope of chassis number being sufficient. As sadly that's all I have to go on thesedays. Hopefully chassis will reveal what it is, what tags were issued on it and then maybe there's a way of doing OZ wide rego check etc. Tis what it is, and a new engine, gearbox would see her running, well almost :D

#25 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts
  • Car:ɐuɐɹoʇ

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:08 PM

Hi all

My comment about this car being one of the first 50 is based on the fact that the 69th Brisbane XU-1 (by PSN not completion date) was Chassis No ALJ00471B. I hadn't checked Adelaide production at that stage so took a calculated guess that on the balance of probability that it would be "one of the first 50". Even if it eventuates that it is one of the first few, wouldn't it still be one of the first 50?

I infer from comments made that I "ok cars". Absolutely not - what I do is look at the tag details of a given vehicle and compare them to known numbers from my extensive database of GTRs and XU-1s. All I do is indicate whether the tag details appear to be 'period correct' or 'accord' with each other. I certainly would not buy a car on the basis of the tags alone and wouldn't suggest anyone else do it either.

If people don't have faith in my ability to read, analyse and interpret data then I guess my university education has been wasted. Either way it is a matter of supreme indifference to me.

Notwithstanding the foregoing, I am nontheless here to help.

Cheers

Bazza

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users