Centralised LJ Steering Column

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 _dags383_

_dags383_
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 07:47 PM

HI,

I have had a lot of people ask me about the moficiations i have done to centralise the steering column on my LJ 383 project and the steering shaft setup. I have finally put the front end and steering column back in and reconnected the two.

The pictures show the how the wheel now sits central to the dash and that the only part of the column coming from the firewall is about 50mm of the steering shaft itself. There is no longer the ugly steering column end in the engine bay that there normally is. The shaft now comes out level with the drivers side chassis rail and is also only 50 - 60mm from the rail. I have used an LH-LX knuckle at the top and a bought knuckle at the bottom close to the rack. This knuckle is tig welded in so that the steering only comes apart at the top joint. The front crossmember had to be heated and hammered in to form clearance around the bottom knuckle.

All in all it was a lot of work but the results allow for less angle on the knuckles and less notchiness in the steering when turning the wheel.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 _jap-xu1_

_jap-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 08:20 PM

isnt welding that knuckle illegal?

#3 _dags383_

_dags383_
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 10:17 PM

isnt welding that knuckle illegal?

Hi,

I was not told so but i could not see why as it does not effect anything on the column and it was done by a certified person so the job was done so as not to effect the strength of the knuckle or the shaft material.

I will check on it but i cannot see why.

Cheers,

#4 shanegtr

shanegtr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Name:Shane
  • Car:LJ 2 door
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 March 2006 - 10:49 PM

What column are you now using? I was thinking about installing a newer coloum when I do the rebuild on mine, just so I can have all the stalk mounted controls

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users