#1 LOWS2

LOWS2

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 08:18 AM

Howdy peoples,

My trusty banjo diff in the LJ is in need of reconditioing or replacement. I was wondering if it would be worthwhile & cost effective to put a Borg Warner (unsure what model this would come from??) in its place, but the car mechanically is a stock 173 except for extractors & exhaust so not sure it would be worthwhile. Any thoughts on the subject would be appriciated.

Cheers,
Mick

#2 _BLOWN V6HATCH_

_BLOWN V6HATCH_
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2006 - 09:40 AM

I guess it depends what your plans are with the car, if you are planning to do some engine work or v8 conversion down the track you would be wise to put a borg warner in now and have it ready for future mods. It may seem like overkill now but why do the job twice? If you plan to keep it stock you would probably stick with the banjo but even then if you put the borg warner in you know you have a strong diff that will last for years.

#3 _draglc_

_draglc_
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2006 - 11:34 AM

if your gonna keep your car stock then dont worry about changing to a borgwarner. if you take the car to a diff shop, they will charge you a shitload to do it, eg i got charged $400 for a MINIMUM rebuild of a 308 single spinner, they wanted $600 for a full rebuild, what a joke when u can buy a decent diff for $50-80 and put it in yourself or find someone to do it for you cheaply. which is what id recommend you do.

where are you located?

A1

#4 tinkers

tinkers

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts
  • Name:Kerri
  • Car:LX Hatch & VX Clubsport & VS Ute

Posted 29 March 2006 - 11:42 AM

where are you located?

Taken from the signature ... Tearin' Up The Streets Around The Sutho Shire NSW

#5 LOWS2

LOWS2

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 12:20 PM

I would love a V8 in my LJ but cost is the issue i couldnt do it for at least a year & then there is petrol for it being a daily driver so it looks doubtful me going down that road.

A worked six (prob 202) will probably end up happening but again not for at least a year. I know the BW is a strong diff but as draglc said most diff shops will charge plenty Can a Banjo be rebuilt tuffer than standard or is it not worth it??

What car/s exactly does the BW come from if i was to use one in my LJ?? ie. easiest to find and get modded to fit.

Sorry for all the questions but I have had zero experience with diffs, let alone changing them so any one else who has please let me know.

Cheers,
Mick

P.S. I live in the Sutherland Shire in NSW (dont believe everything you see on TV :spoton: )

#6 _TORANR AMORE_

_TORANR AMORE_
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2006 - 03:08 PM

Have you considered welding up a banjo?

#7 LOWS2

LOWS2

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 03:57 PM

[QUOTE]Have you considered welding up a banjo?

I have heard that term before but dont know whats involved to do it or what it does to the diff?? Could you please explain further?

Keep the ideas coming people.

Cheers,
Mick

#8 _draglc_

_draglc_
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2006 - 04:02 PM

welding up the banjo will just make it more unreliable and illegal. not an option.

just do a simple diff swap, get one out of the trading post or off ebay.

A1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users