Are writen off cars?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 _SL/R SS A9X_

_SL/R SS A9X_
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2006 - 04:45 PM

Hi everybody,
Im just wondering if writen off cars are aloud to be made in to Drag racing cars?

This should be interseting!

Jason

#2 _user asked to be removed_

_user asked to be removed_
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2006 - 04:50 PM

Maybe, but they'd have have to be worthy for drag racing, Oh lets just say you cant have a hole through the firewall or something or like you have to fix your steering etc. I dunno, but as you said i'd like to find out.

*Liam

#3 _MYLJ_

_MYLJ_
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2006 - 04:50 PM

yes

#4 _user asked to be removed_

_user asked to be removed_
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2006 - 04:55 PM

Oh found out, just cause it's not registerd doesnt mean you cant race it, but it has to pass a scuitaneering check (Not sure if thats how you spell it) And they look out for things like oil leaks and loose objects and radiator overfill bottles etc.

Hope this helps
*Liam

#5 mrlctorana

mrlctorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 05:43 PM

They certainly can, as long as they are safe to drive and able to pass the scrutineering in pits. Once a car has been "written off" you'd have to check it out down to every last nut and bolt, before you took it screaming down a race track. Look out for bent chassis, suspension, geometry, steering, ect. Brakes and steering are the most important parts of a car, so if there is something wrong with these areas of the car that cannot be totally fixed, you are taking a big risk, as a dodgey fix in these areas could cost you in the long run.

I'd be looking around for something cheap a roadworthy to start with rather than stuff around with a bent car, which may end up to be a trap in the end.

my 2 cents

Les

#6 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2006 - 06:44 PM

This sort of reminds me of an incident that happened many years ago here in Canberra. Slightly off topic but gets back on topic soon enough!

Crash helmets could then be purchased for around $10.00 minimum and $100.00 max.
A guy walks into my mates motorcycle shop (I was there chatting with with my mate at the time) and asks " Should I buy a $10.00 helmet or a $100.00 one?
My mate drops his spanners, looks strangely at the guy and replies " if you think you have a $10.00 head then thats what you spend, if on the other hand you think your head is worth more than $10.00 then spend accordingly."
I could barely contain myself from breaking out in a fit of laughter.....

Anyway back to the question at hand I would be very careful about what shell I chose to race, your life will be on the line will it not???

Makes perfect sense to me to find a shell with no or at least removeable bog and little or repairable rust, not sure if a write off would meet that criteria not to mention what might happen if the chassis is bent or twisted at speed over a fast 1/4 mile....

Cheers
Herne

#7 _SL/R SS A9X_

_SL/R SS A9X_
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2006 - 07:22 PM

[/QUOTE]Anyway back to the question at hand I would be very careful about what shell I chose to race, your life will be on the line will it not???
[QUOTE]

Na im just thinking about it

Jason

#8 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 March 2006 - 11:05 AM

Well my car shell was completely writen off whe I picked it up. The rails were pushed back to the fire wall, the floor was buckled. You can fix anything if you have time and money. I put a whole new floor and chasis in and made it twice as stong as before ( so my engineer says). And if you can find any trace of an accident you would be the first.

#9 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2006 - 11:38 AM

Of course it goes without saying that anything can be fixed by someone with the expertise :) However if you cannot do this work yourself in a sound and safe manner then it becomes mighty costly to have someone do the work. Quite often it's cheaper to start with a good shell.

Cheers
Herne

#10 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 30 March 2006 - 03:40 PM

my old LH shell is currently being made into a race car as we speak, and it was well written off. it worked out perfect because the guy who I sold it to didnt need anything forward of the windscreen or any of the firewall/trans tunnel.

#11 _mike_nofx_

_mike_nofx_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2006 - 03:53 PM

It would depend how written off it is... If were talkin hit a tree at 80km/h+ i think you know the answer, plus it would cost more to fix the body, than to just buy a straight car...
but some write offs are just 'big dints' etc. would be ok to fix i would think.
My mate was in an accident and 'wrote off' (according to insurance) his valiant charger. All it was, was that one front guard was damaged. No structural damage. A replacement guard and respray fixed it all up for a lot less than about $7-800

I think the cheapest part of building up a drag car, would be the body anyway...

If your thinking torana drag car, why would you buy a write off? $500 for a written off torana, or $1000 for a decent (probably engine less) car.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users