Help with a paint code

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 _LJ0873_

_LJ0873_
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2006 - 08:19 PM

G'day

I have an original LJ SL Sedan 1973. The following codes on the plate are as follows:

Model: LJ82559
Body No: 289333B
Trim: 1119 58T
Paint: 587 6818

Does anyone have any clues on trim type and paint name? I have been unable to determine these from the Torana books I have.

Regards,

Don

#2 _dave720gtr_

_dave720gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2006 - 08:56 PM

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS" i just checked my imfo and i have nothing maching them numbers, some one one here should be able to help you HG350 SHOULD NO

#3 _MYLJ_

_MYLJ_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2006 - 09:35 PM

not too sure about the paint code, looks like its short a digit or something, here is a link to a thread with the colour chart listings, hope it helps

http://www.gmh-toran...?showtopic=2826

#4 _JBM_

_JBM_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2006 - 09:38 PM

The 587 you posted should be 567 for a metallic paint type.

6818 is probably 16818.

1119 is too low for an LJ colour, should be in the 1800s.

58T is probably 58Y, which is vinyl trim with a cloth insert, don't know what colour vinyl it is.

Check the numbers again.

James

#5 _LJ0873_

_LJ0873_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2006 - 08:14 AM

Thanks for your help guys.

I'm new to the forum and am impressed with the replies I've been getting.

Someone has told me the 6818 is Egmont Maroon. It could be, because the car is a maroon colour, but obviously it is not in the torana series of paint numbers that i have any info on. The 587 I believe is for metalic as JBM suggested.

I've double checked the numbers on my plate and they are correct. This seems to be unique as it does not match any plates I have in my Torrie books.

The car was originally purchased new from Ern Jones Bankstown 1973. Original stickers still on rear windscreen.

Anyone have any more suggestions.

#6 _MYLJ_

_MYLJ_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2006 - 09:57 AM

Someone has told me the 6818 is Egmont Maroon. It could be, because the car is a maroon colour, but obviously it is not in the torana series of paint numbers that i have any info on. The 587 I believe is for metalic as JBM suggested.

I've double checked the numbers on my plate and they are correct. This seems to be unique as it does not match any plates I have in my Torrie books.

Anyone have any more suggestions.

I suggest you take a look at this link to the"oldholden" forum.
If the colour code your quoting is correct then it seems to be a "HR" colour used a few years earlier, might have been a special order? I have know idea :tease:

but the link below has it listed so take a look, hope that helps

Oh by the way :google: search is how I found it :spoton:

http://www.oldholden.../HR_Paint_Codes

#7 _JBM_

_JBM_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2006 - 11:10 AM

Someone was talking about having 2 paint type prefixes for Warwick Yellow because the paint type changed during the HK production, this may explain the different prefix, one was 585-10846 and the other was 568-10846.

James

#8 _LJ0873_

_LJ0873_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2006 - 04:20 PM

Thanks for the info myLJ. Looks as though my LJ may have been a special outside the normal LJ range of paint runs. Looks as though it may be one of a kind. It's in need of a respray so thanks everyone for your help. I like the Egmont Maroon colour so I think I'll keep it original.

regards LJ 0873 :D

#9 _gm3300_

_gm3300_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2006 - 09:59 PM

one possibility is the paint colour was used as a fleet colour. I've got an old berger fleet colour tint book, and for example "Strike-Me-Pink" was used by A.C.I. ( Pink Batts insulation) on their trucks, it has the same ident number as used on Holden paint plates. I'll check for Egmont Maroon when i'm back at work(i'm on hols at the moment) the book lists the company who used the colour.
You might want to pop over to Bankstown and grab a pic of the old Ern Jones Holden site, the last time i went past the yard was for sale, it won't be long before it becomes another block of flats. It was the site of Dale Ford's used car yard but is now vacant. It's on the corner of Chapel rd and the Hume Hwy at Bankstown.

That might make a good memorabillia thread, "where have all the Holden Dealers gone" with current pics of old yards!
grant
P.S. welcome to the forum

#10 _LJ0873_

_LJ0873_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2006 - 06:48 AM

Thanks gm3300. The car has been in my family since new. It used to be my Nanna's. When she died the car was to be sold as part of the estate, until I went and had a look at it. A bit of oil into the 202 and some tranny fluid into the traumatic and she was as good as knew.(I'd love to convert her to a manual). Actually she goes really well. Nanna only used it to go to bowls or the local shops. She has 70thou on the clock now.

The car originally was a private sale as new from the dealer from what I can remember. Maybe she really liked the colour and the dealer did her a special deal. Pity I can't ask her.

I'll be happy to see what info you have when you get back :D

P.s. Thanks for the advice re Ern Jones. I wasn't sure where it used to be in Bankstown. I will take the trip and have a look.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users