A motorbike that I'm building

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 _studricho_

_studricho_
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2009 - 09:36 PM

Yes, I haven't been on here in while due to work and family issues (sorted now..I hope), but to keep me amused I've been building a neat little CBR250RR that I'm trying new things on.

Here's the project from start till now.

Stage 1

The bike seems to have genuine low klms, but has a blown head gasket or something along this nature.

I'll keep the pictures coming and the progress on this bike for all to see. This bike will be up for sale once it's all done to help with the new shed funds coming up soon.

Enough rant. Pictures

Posted Image

So far I've come up against a stripped oil filter bolt (my first would you believe) and stripped bolts for the side stand.

I'll take the head off and have a look at the condition of the engine. I'm thinking about doing a complete engine tear down, which I think would be only fair given the amount of water in the oil.

Posted Image

Stage 2

Some update pictures. I was up at 3am so I thought it would be the perfect time to work on the bike. I removed the radiator, thermostat, hoses, water pump, exhaust, head and rear sub frame.

Posted Image

You can see that the caliper hasn't been removed since factory.

Posted Image

The same with the triple clamps.

The more I look into the bike, the more I see that it's a legit 14,000 klms on the clock. The bore still has the original hone marks, the tappet cover has never been removed and it has the dots on bolts that means it hasn't been pulled down before.

It doesn't appear to have a blow head gasket. I'm thinking that water had entered through the clutch cover that was hanging off. Even the water pump seems fine and no leaks from the seal.

I should call this the 3am project. The last few times I've worked on it is when I get up at 3am, can't sleep, so I play with the bike.

Posted Image

I've pulled it right done, I written down the list of things I need to do/buy on my white board so I don't forget.

Next is to completely strip down all the parts needing sand blasting/painting.

I need to give them a good degrease to make the sand blasting worthwhile.

Posted Image

This is my engine work bench and once I sort out the parts that need to be blasted/painted I will begin stripping down the engine.

I was thinking about just focusing on getting the frame, frame, forks and any parts to make it a roller again sorted first.

Space is a real issue at my place at the moment.

I'm getting motivated again to do this bike. It should be pretty nice once all done.

Stage 3

Well I've been hanging to get stuck into this since I got all the parts back from the painter.

My mentor has taught me very well over the years and I have been able to focus on finishing one bike first, well sometimes.

Here's some updated pictures and what i have done so far..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Time to collect my goods after some painting...

Posted Image

Here's the sub frame. You may notice that anything not needed for the tyga rear fairing has been carefully removed. Even the pillion peg mounting brackets. I almost took the exhaust hanger off, but I chicken out.

Posted Image

I decided to hang the frame to make assembly easier for me with my back issues.

The funniest part was once the parts went on it was too heavy for me to lift of by myself with the back pain. I called a mate and he didn't think I was serious when I told him that i had a bike hanging from the roof.

Posted Image

Here's what I have done so far.

-New headset bearings.
-Repacked swing arm/dog link bearings.
-Refitted all the frame brackets and overflow bottle.

The worst part of a project like this is that you are so tempted to buy all new shiny bolts as the old ones stand out.

My aim is to have it as a roller again tomorrow. Then I can start to work out what parts I need to order. I also need to strip down the engine and get that sorted.

I have also picked a colour scheme, but I'll leave it as a surprise.

Stage 4

Just a small update as I haven't had much time to work on the bike, but money is coming in thick and fast, so I need to get cracking and order more parts for the beast.

Posted Image

As you can see the tires are on and fitted, new fork seals/oil, headset bearings and wheel bearings/seals.

I will be stripping the bottom end tonight to get an idea what parts it needs.

The engine ended up being from a CBR250R (MC19) not a CBR250RR (MC22). I could of rebuilt using MC22 internals, but it would always have the MC19 engine number and that could affect the resale value.

I bought another crashed CBR250RR with a very good engine, so after a shim clearance, oil change/filter it was painted and fitted to the bike.

This bike will be fitted with after market Tyga fairings to make the bike look more modern.

I also sourced some fancy rear sets to add some extra bling. Too much effort for a 250 you say...nah.

Stage 5

I got a phone call to say that the kits arrived and it was a good thing that I still had roof racks on my car.

Posted Image

These boxes are huge!

Posted Image

Here's a better picture of the bike naked.

Posted Image

I don't know what brand this exhaust is, but I can tell you it sounds really good. It's a straight through after market can that has the mounting bracket tig welded on.

Posted Image

I have fitted the fairings as a trail fit and I will be there tonight to sort out the issues, then off they come to go to the painters tomorrow.

I will attempt to resolve them tonight.

Next on the list is to be done is...

-Chase up new mirrors
-Rear after market blinkers
-Fit pressure switch to rear brake and bleed
-Sort out wiring
-Make new heel guards
-New fuel tap repair kit

Get bike registered and ride it. As you can see I've been a very busy boy doing this at the same time setting up my new workshop.

#2 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2009 - 09:46 PM

Looks good. My cousin has a cbr250RR but he looks like a sumo wrestler riding it and he has dropped it more times than i can remember..

#3 _studricho_

_studricho_
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2009 - 09:54 PM

Lol at the sumo wrestler comment. I have been told that I look like an ape on one. I now ride a honda hornet 250 and it suits me much better.

The CBR250 weren't designed for the average aussie.

#4 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2009 - 09:58 PM

No... more the little japanese type... still a good bike though

#5 _studricho_

_studricho_
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2009 - 08:12 PM

I thought I would end this thread with the final pictures. The bike has been sold and the new owner will pick it up and ride back to Newcastle.

So if your from Newcastle and you see it then you know you saw it here first..

Anyway pictures..

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 30 September 2009 - 08:36 PM