Trimming bonnet bracing

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 _MAWLER_

_MAWLER_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2006 - 02:16 PM

What if I was to take a bit out of the main brace up the ridge in the middle? If I was to cut out the 14" length for the air filter and tac the two edges back onto the bonnet.

How much would this affect the strength of the bonnet? Its not as if I'm going to be leaning on the unbraced section or anything like that. It should be o.k to do, right?

Peace,

#2 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 06:43 PM

G'day Liam,

I'll try to remember to take a pic of the underneath of my bonnet for you later tonight.

I have almost none of the internal support left for the bonnet.

M@

#3 _MAWLER_

_MAWLER_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2006 - 10:02 PM

Sweet, thanks dude.

#4 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 11:41 PM

Voi la.

Posted Image

The top skin of the bonnet is sikaflexed back to the remainder of the inner reinforcing to give it some strength.

The bonnet doesnt vibrate or anything and is fairly solid - I wouldn't sit on it though. My engine is only about 3mm below the skin of the bonnet so you could still probably sit on the bonnet but you would most likey dent it in the shape of the intake runners <_<

Mine went through rego like this and only 1 smart arse police has ever said anything and even then they dropped the issue when I told them it was rego'd like that.

M@

#5 _MAWLER_

_MAWLER_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2006 - 11:36 AM

Too easy. I won't be trimming out nearly as much as you have. I would only have to take out from the cross bar of the H down, so if your's is strong enough, no movement etc. then mine should be fine.

How much space do you reckon was created by removing that middle ridge below the horizontal? I calculate 15mm to hard against the inside of the bonnet, so allowing 5mm clearance, should buy me and extra 10mm by removing the bracing.

What do you mean by sikaflexed, I haven't come across this before?

Thanks,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users